1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Being asked for gifts on mmorpgs

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Vav, Dec 30, 2015.

1. Vav

Vav Guest

I just joined a new mmorpg. I'm enjoying it so far, but one of my "friends" keeps asking me for gifts. I keep telling her my level is too low to gift her anything, but she won't listen. She also keeps throwing "parties" at her "mom's" house. She's not making any sense to me. Doesn't she know how to use tapjoy?

2. DougTheBicycle

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  3. Vav

Vav Guest

I'm just dealing with a beggar on an online game. It's weird because she's been playing for a month and I've only been playing for a few days. I have no clue why she would beg from a newb like me.

4. Berru

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    She either thinks you're easy prey, or she's a child. Children seem to think the world owes them something and that the online world revolves around owning as much stuff as you can with as little effort as possible.
    At least, that's my impression of it.

5. Hiems

Is she a real life friend or an online one? Talk to her in person about how annoying it is if the former. Block her if the latter. That's what I would do :x

6. RawringSnake

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You are goddamned right. Real friends let you block them without getting pissy. I know mine do :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

#6 RawringSnake, Dec 30, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2015
  7. Vav

Vav Guest

As far as I know she's not a child. She has had some weird (to me) behavior. She was roleplaying as a teen hosting parties at her mom's house. She did it every day and she would send multiple messages to everyone. The house was cheap and it had ugly decorations. She also liked to boss people around. Maybe this is normal behavior. I'm not too familiar with what behavior is normal on those games. Maybe I'm just a clueless newb.

She might have been targeting me because I had nice-ish clothes. I could easily get a lot of in game currency for free. I guess she thinks I'm some rich person who spends a lot of money on free to play games. I've never spent money on free to play games.

I'm also sort of openly gay on that game. I didn't give myself a gay themed username or anything, but I did say I was interested in women on my profile. I saw a girl asking another girl if she wanted to have sex. She never followed through. I don't get that joke. Maybe she thinks it's funny to tease a gay newb like me.

---------- Post added 30th Dec 2015 at 05:25 AM ----------

I just met her on that game. It's normal for people to randomly give people friend requests. When she started asking for gifts I politely explained that level 5s can't send any gifts. She still kept asking me despite my level 5 status. After that I just asked her why she keeps asking for gifts. She unfriended me after that.

8. Berru

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Sounds like a child to me :confused:

9. justin88

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I'll second this. lol

10. Rydia

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Sounds like normal MMORPG behaviour to me lol I've always said I'd like MMORPGs better if I could play them by myself :wink:

Honestly tho, if the game will let you block her, I'd just block her. If not, ignore her. These games always have players who run around begging everyone for stuff and there's always people who are pretty much only there to cyber (do people still use that word?) Tho, this is the first I've heard of throwing parties at your mom's house hehe

At least that's how it was when I used to play, which I haven't in years because it was just too much of a time suck.

I worked for one of the pay to play MMORPGs back in the day and one of my tasks was to look for players who were actually doing some impressive roleplaying and give them rewards...you wouldn't believe how many people cybering I stumbled across in the process lol

11. Vav

Vav Guest

I guess she is a child. She said on her profile she's married, but I doubt she actually is. Maybe the other house is actually owned by her mom and she's not roleplaying. That's a weird concept for me because none of my parents have ever played online games.

#11 Vav, Dec 30, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 30, 2015
  12. XxSunXDragonxX

The game you're describing sounds exactly like Avakin Life. I feel your pain. Sometimes I gift a random user just to be nice, but they always want more. People can be so ungrateful sometimes... :icon_roll

#12 XxSunXDragonxX, Dec 30, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2015
  13. Vav

Vav Guest

It is. Any idea why older members ask newbs like me for gifts? I can understand why a newb might ask a level 20. Right now I'm only spending money to decorate my apartments and customizing my character. Once I'm satisfied I might gift people I enjoy spending time with who don't ask for any gifts.

14. XxSunXDragonxX

I have no idea. Most of the people on there are like 10. Most of the time I can't have a normal conversation with someone. I've been thinking about uninstalling it, but it's the closest I can get to a game like PS Home. I miss PS Home. :icon_sad:

15. Mitchell

I'm just curious, what MMORPG is this?

16. Vav

Vav Guest

That would make sense. I used to love those type of games when I was ten. It also explains why most chats don't make sense to me. It's also full of guys pretending to be lesbians. I've been thinking of trolling them. I'd probably be more into second life, but I don't like spending money. I mostly enjoy decorating my room in that game. I also changed my avatar into a nerdy male avatar and I got a lot of attention from girls. It was weird.