1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sensitive people are so difficult

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Celatus, Dec 25, 2015.

1. Celatus

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I tried to reach out to him again and he basically basically told me to fuck off. Some people just can't move on. I told him very clearly that I didn't mean to strike a nerve there and what I said wasn't considerate, but he's having none of it. It actually kind of makes me angry that he's behaving this way. If someone else went out of their way to apologize for a remark several times I would at least try to forgive them and not be a stubborn bitch about it. I know I messed up, but it really wasn't anywhere near as bad as he's making it out to be.

#21 Celatus, Dec 28, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2015
  2. loveislove01

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You don't know what they've been through, really. It could have hit hard because it might bring up bad memories.
    I'm Indian, and I've been bullied for being ugly for my race. So if someone stereotypes Indians or says that "I'm attractive for an Indian girl" then please...that does bring back terrible memories and that was when I had my lowest depression and everything.

I do agree with you that at a certain level of friendship. Some jokes can be said- but the people close to me know I've been bullied and would never make racist jokes directed to me, while we constantly joke about how gay I am and how they make fun of my girl crushes.

You've said that you two aren't real close and it makes sense that he would feel offense, and again, many people who are in minorities do experience racism/ whatever-ism directed to them.

It might have really hurt him, and you don't really sound sorry about that by calling him a stubborn bitch, so it's fine that you lost him as a friend and you can find others who aren't sensitive.

3. stumble along

Hes not being sensitive anymore just passive aggressive. Hes punishing you essentially, you offended him and now that you're sorry he isn't going to talk to you. At this point you've done everything you could besides running up to him and beg for forgiveness, so I would drop it. You left the ball in his court.

It sucks but really there isn't much else you can do. Try not to kick yourself too hard for saying something insensitive, just be mindful of it in the future. If he really was your friend he'd have forgiven you and told you why what you said bothered him. I'm going through the same thing (though it started differently)

4. Euler

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Well, to be more accurate, I don't find any comments offensive if I believe that the person had no intention to be offensive and acted in good faith. Some comments might make me feel bad if they touch to a sensitive spot but then the problem is my ability to deal with the matter rather than the person saying it. For example, a good friend of mine indirectly said that I have a rather high pitched voice. I felt bad about it but only because I think he was right and I feel a little insecure about my voice. My dad was always disappointed that I did not become as masculine as he is (although I'm by no means feminine either) and when he said that I was reminded of this conflict. However, I have no hard feelings for my friend for saying that because what he said is true and he did not mean to make me feel bad.

You lost me at the ideology. Could you perhaps give me an concrete example what do you mean by this?

Yes, many things offend me and I take personally. However, careless remarks and innocent words are not among them. I take it very personally when people fail to live up to their commitments and promises. Or when people's rights are violated or people lie. Or when people act in a dishonorable way.

I'm not saying that being offensive would be necessary to build deep meaningful relationships but it can be significant part of it. I don't dot his with all of my close friends but none of my close friends stopped being my friend even if I did. I brought this up because I got the impression that some ppl in this thread felt that this has no place in a civilized society which I disagree. The "significant social function" is direct quote from a study I read up on this matter.

5. Celatus

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This just about sums it up here, thanks for the consideration.