1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The whole vegan thing

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Vashta Nerada, Dec 24, 2015.

1. Reciprocal

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm a vegetarian myself, and I eat a lot of totally vegan food so I'd be happy to date a vegan.

2. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Pescetarian since my teens, and lacto-ovo out of pure laziness, recently vegetarian.

Would I try to convert my partner? Hell NO. I'd offer her/him my cookies and food, 'cause I love to share and shower my partners with gifts, but that doesn't include a two hours Castro-like monologue, and if it upsets them I'd never show them the videos I own (which are on youtube anyways).
    Would I stop the relationship if they make fun of me being a vegan? Hell YES. I'll send you to hell if you mock any of my habits, 'cause if you do that, you shouldn't be next to me anyways.

Would I date a vegan? I see many things I'd share with such a person, but at the end it wouldn't influence my decision of not being with them, if they are not the right ones for me.

3. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

Vegans can eat noodles right? Thats all I eat anyway.

4. Hexagon

Depends if they're egg noodles or not

5. Awesome

In college in Massachusetts, from Pennsylvania
    Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I would never become a vegan because I already have severe food allergies, and I always feel so bad when people go through so much trouble just to find something that I can eat. I would never choose to have more food restrictions. I could date a vegan.

6. ForNarnia

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I tried going vegetarian, and it didn't sit well with me, so that's a no.
    Of course I'd date a vegan, but if they kept trying to convert me, it would end right there.

I appreciate the ideology behind veganism, but I personally don't think veganism is a healthy way of life. I never begrudge it to anyone, they're free to live the life they choose, so long as they accept that not everyone wishes to be the same. I wouldn't think any less of a person for being vegan.

#26 ForNarnia, Dec 25, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2015
  7. NotKnowing

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I've been vegan a few times for some weeks to months and tbh I would actually prefer dating someone who's vegan

8. Rydia

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    With the inevitable New Year's resolutions rolling around, I've actually been kicking around the idea of going vegetarian, but probably not vegan.

As far as whether I'd date one....I view it about like I view dating someone with different religious or political beliefs. As long as they aren't hurting anyone else with it or trying to force it on me, or lecturing me about it constantly, I don't really care what they do.

9. baddech

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I can see myself being converted to vegan living so yeah i would. actually i would prefer to date one so i could make more progress. or maybe i should make more progress first?

10. Ram90

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    At the risk of sounding like a bigot, I say no. I'm a vegetarian and I'm very particular that I would want to share my life with an vegetarian. I would want to date one. So Vegans are not for me. No offence intended.

11. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm a vegetarian, so of course.

12. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Sure, just so long as they didn't try to change me, or rub it in my face.

Some people do have good reasons for doing so: health concerns, environmentally concerned, or due to religious reasons. Others, I get the feeling want to be "hip", or to be able to lord it over others, as a superior/moral lifestyle.

I try not to eat too much meats, at least compared to your average American, and prefer a more balanced diet. I'm no expert in such matters, but know too much of anything will have averse effects on a person.

13. Riz

Riz

Only thing I've completely excluded from my diet is red meat, but I do eat mostly vegetarian (aside from seafood) and I prefer vegan alternatives out of diary products.

I would date a vegan yes. I'm going to admit after trying to live with someone that prefer meat over everything that it is pretty hard to live that way, though it's worth it if you like that someone.
    Would I be ok with a vegan trying to convert me if we were dating? Yes, I strongly feel for animals and I'm ashamed for the meat and animal products I still consume.

14. Gen

Gen

Poultry is the only form of meat that I ever consume and I often prepare vegan meals for myself so it wouldn't be that drastic of a difference.

Although I feel that vegetarians and vegans are often unfairly assumed to be elitists when many are not, attitude could potentially factor into it. It is no different than the fact that I am not specifically religious, but I would never date an atheist who would not make a simple gesture such as respectfully bowing their head before dining with religious hosts. The ability to emphasize with other individuals and cultures and the reasons for their beliefs and behavior regardless of whether you personally agree is a necessarily quality for my future partner.