1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

When did you find out Santa Claus wasn't real?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by PokeGleek, Dec 23, 2015.

1. Reciprocal

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't think my parents ever really expected me to believe in Santa. I was pretty young when I decided that Santa wasn't real, can't remember the exact age. My brother is 10 though and he still believes, so I keep it up for him.

2. DougTheBicycle

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I....but you...he's.....

Oh god, no...............

3. Aspen

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I can't remember how old I was. I'd actually known for a while but I think a part of me still believed or at least wanted to believe. I unwrapped a winter coat clearly tagged "From Santa." My stepmother announced that they'd gone to some trouble finding it. And it hit me.

4. justin88

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    he's not real? *cries*

5. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    When I was around 12, I think.

It was a few things building up to it, really. It's the reason I stay skeptical the way I am. Over the years, I'd notice some things like

- Wrapping paper being consistent with what we'd have for that year
    - Different Santas each year for pictures
    - Mom's "Fancy writing" was the same as Santa's.
    - Sometimes I'd accidentally find the Santa gift in the back of Mom's car before Christmas.
    - The Telescope where we'd take Santa pictures had the very same looping animation of Santa each year. The list next to it was also very short, and was also the same.

6. DreamerBoy17

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    He isn't?! :eek:

Nah, I think a part of me never really believed it, but in my school district, most people actually believed in him until until they were 10-12, so I pretended to go along with it. I didn't want to spoil the magic for my siblings, anyhow. :slight_smile:

7. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    About 8. Went down one night, saw my mother and sister putting presents under the tree. Didn't even care.

By the time I started secondary school age 11, I didn't know anyone who believed in Santa.

#27 imnotreallysure, Dec 24, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2015
  8. justin88

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    To be honest I think I always knew he wasn't real lol

9. Isarene

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Somewhere around first grade. I still believed, but my little first grade buddies made it very clear he was not real. XD

10. erioed

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well I'm going to replace Santa with the Three Kings (in Spain we get our presents on Jan 6th and the Three Kings give them to us)
    There was this kid in my class. His parents were so modern that they never told him the whole Kings thing so he had always known it was a lie. He managed not to tell any of us (we were all obviously hyped about the Three Kings both before and after Christmas break) until we were 7 years old. First he said "actually the Three Kings are really rich people that buy presents", and shortly after he announced that they were the parents.

11. I'm_Danni_x

I never believed in Santa primarily because the whole idea was incoherent to me. I knew that the presents from "Santa" were actually bought and gifted by my parents because on the tags I recognized their writing. Also Santa's writing appeared to be different for everyone and he seemed to miss out children from Africa as well as other disadvantaged children and some of the other kids I was acquainted with. Santa who all the children encountered in the shopping centers seemed to be a different person every year not to mention throughout the world. His sleigh did not even have the ability to fly. It baffled me how anyone could actually climb down a chimney without being signed. Once I caught my Dad writing "from Santa" on a gift tag which summarized all my suspicions, disbelief and mere doubts about the notion of Santa which helped me come to a conclusion that Santa did not exist at all. I was a skeptical, not to mention wary and paranoid child and to say the least I still am.

#31 I'm_Danni_x, Dec 24, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2015
  12. TyGuy96

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I was 7... I remember hearing my parents move the presents downstairs (thinking it was santa) I ran out of my room and found my dad placing them under the tree, so they came clean, I was distraught... until I opened up the action man car thing I wanted.

13. Contact1111

Contact1111 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I figured it out on my own when I was like 7. On the other hand, my idiotic friend actually believed it until he was like 14-15! He seriously believed in Santa while he was high school age!

14. Magenta Mucus

Never believed in Santa Claus. I just thought my parents were silly.

15. headsup1958

Wait...you mean he's not real? True story: when I was 9-10 years old my younger sister and I snuck into my parents closet and found the reel-to-reel tape player I asked Santa for. (Yeah, okay this was around 1968 so I'm not sure cassette players were even invented yet!) We played with it a little then repackaged it. On Christmas morning I feigned surprise and excitement and opened the box, put the batteries in and pressed play only to hear that we had forgotten to erase the tape. BUSTED! I still remember my mother's facial expression and my embarrassment to this day.

16. Steve FS

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I never believed in Santa Claus. My parents made it a thing to tell me that he was just a fairytale, and I'm glad they did. I think it's absolutely cruel to have your children believe in Santa Claus, only to take it away from them when they're older.

17. AKindOfMagic

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My mom at least made sure we knew he is fake. But she said not to spoil it for other kids.

18. NekoAlex

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    When I was 8-9, other kids in school told me that there is no Santa, because some of them had stayed awake all night pretending to be asleep just to see Santa, but they saw how their parents put the presents under the Christmas tree. Then we asked our teacher about it and she admitted that there is no Santa Claus.

19. Geek

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    All but family
    soo you didn't find out until you were 15 and you're posting this in a thread that 13 year olds go to? Come on.

Santa is REAL. I swear I saw something that looked like a sleigh in the sky when I was like 2 or 3.

---------- Post added 24th Dec 2015 at 05:31 PM ----------

My parents bought wrapping paper specifically for Santa gifts so we would never know. I never paid attention to fancy hand writing. I have never looked at gifts I was getting. I was told if you find something, it goes back. My mom would find out day what day "our" santa was working to make sure pictures were consistent. I don't remember, but one year it was the wrong guy and my mom was VERY upset apparently.

20. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I never believed strongly, but I suppose I believed until I was perhaps five or six. Apparently my father always disliked the lie, so my mother agreed they'd never make a very serious effort. My parents would always openly fuss over choosing presents for everyone else, though I don't think I seriously believed or doubted it.

I do remember I was five or six when I found a receipt in early January for a present given to my brother, so I had conclusive proof and asked my parents to confirm that Father Christmas was indeed fictional, which they readily admitted. I remember it feeling more like a confirmation than a revelation. I suppose it mustn't have been very important to me.