1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Talking about deceased people and what's acceptable to you

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Tightrope, Dec 22, 2015.

1. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Do you think it is ok to speak negatively about deceased people who have touched your life? This could be immediate family, friends, acquaintances, lunch pals at work, or anyone who is above basic acquaintance level.

I think it's probably best not to lambaste them. However, the truth is the truth. If discussing the truth possibly has a productive outcome, and it contains some negativity, I think it's ok. I know that there are people who, possibly because of their religion, culture, or other factors, think it's taboo to speak negatively of the deceased.

2. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yes I do.

3. Kira

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think it's best to be honest with it, there are some people who aren't exactly missed if they were total jerks to everybody. Not too long ago I remember people joking about picketing Fred Phelps' funeral since he had picketed so many. What you give is what you get I guess.

4. SHIELDAgentAlex

I'm just gonna say that, for the sake of retaining a slightly mournful atmosphere, when my dear ol' Dad passes away, I won't be in attendance.

5. DougTheBicycle

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The dead are dead. We talk about them and remember them, whether good or bad. By talking about them, and remembering them, we do them at least a little bit of honor.

6. Aeolia

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I hate hypocrisy... And being all nice about the dead is hypocrisy, if someone was a fucking assholes he will forever be remembered for being an asshole.

If I follow people logic, in history classes we should introduce Hitler as an Artist and show his canvas... But nothing about Mein Kampf, genocides etc...

7. angeluscrzy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think if they were an asshole in life, they don't deserve some special "glossing over" just because they're dead. I think you build your own legacy and if you want to be remembered fondly, act accordingly in the time you have here.

8. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    The dead are dead, tell it as it is. Don't make it bigger, don't make it less.

9. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't think it's taboo, I just don't really see the point of it. I think if you want to discuss how someone was meaningful to you warts and all that's awesome. If it really is just piling on the dead guy I question why one would feel that was worth doing. If you want to tell someone that they're an awful person while they are alive at least there is some small chance that you might be able to affect their behavior going forward. With the dead that ship has sailed so I wonder why one would feel the need to speak ill of them. It seems to me that doing so is just inviting negativity into your life with no real payoff. Just my two cents...

10. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

I'll remember you as you lived and dying wont change my opinion of you.

11. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't think we can, or should, airbrush the truth about someone, even after they have died. Facts are facts and if someone was an awful person who caused misery, suffering and heartache during their lifetime we shouldn't deny those facts. If someone had a particularly adverse or detrimental impact on your life, you may even rejoice at their passing and that's fine too - it may even help to release your feelings and bring a sense of closure. The most important thing is to move on and not wallow in a state of bitterness long after they have died, otherwise they maintain their hold over you and you can't change anything.

12. KnucklesNation

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I think as long as you're tactful it's okay.

Wrong way: "Wow, I'm honestly glad so-so is dead, she was a real bitch."
    Ok way: "She wasn't the friendliest person in the world due to her temperament issues, but .. blah blah blah."

13. Canterpiece

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Timing and sensitivity is the key. For instance if you were at their funeral and were like "So... who else hated that guy?" then yeah, that's kind of an asshole move.

Having said that, just because someone's dead doesn't make them a saint- but I wouldn't have a go at someone if they had just died or something. (Unless they were the equivalent of Hitler in their life, and if so then feel free to have a go about them). Give it a few months, perhaps years and then I think it's ok to say stuff like "Well he was an all right guy, tried to teach me all he knew about planes and boats but he some rather...traditionalist views"

It's good to share memories with others of them (even the bad ones) because it shows what the time was like and future generations can learn from it.

#13 Canterpiece, Dec 23, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2015
  14. Joelouis

If I disliked someone, and they died, I'd not speak about them.
    If I liked them, them I'd speak highly and would probably get a bit upset if I heard someone putting them down.

People like Jimmy Saville I'd not waste my breath on them.

15. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    This is the sign of a gentleman, I think.
    Don't see the point of a hate party, regardless dead or alive.

16. wannahavechange

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    True

17. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If their actions have a serious and lasting impact on you or others, it's probably best not to let a falsely positive legacy live for that person. To let a falsehood live about a genuinely nasty person is a poor idea; certain extreme behaviours deserve shame. Abuse, unrepentant bigotry, unjustifiable criminality or horrid political convictions (particularly in public figures) are all things that you may find impossible to ignore in how you speak of the deceased.

If you merely disliked them, then there's not really much reason to sully their name. If you don't see an objective measure by which others could agree with your antipathy toward the deceased, then it's probably worth dropping it. You don't have to lie and speak positively, but it's probably better not to insult those who loved the deceased enough to be offended. It may be true that you disliked them and that they had an annoying personality or that they were constantly but harmlessly drunk or what have you. But what good will that serve anyone when the person in question is six feet under? After death, mere dislike is petty and expressing that pettiness doesn't inform others of any important truth.

There's a spectrum of disrespect of the dead, from the necessary to the justifiable to the plain vulgar. It's best to err on the side of caution, but not to treat death as an exoneration of all a person's evils.

18. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I mainly tend to speak negatively of dead people that I didn't really know personally, but had a deep hatred for, people who helped to make things miserable:

Dead people I hate, and do not hesitate to speak ill of:

Ronald Reagan
    Jerry Falwell
    Jesse Helms...

And yes, I plan to celebrate when Pat Robertson dies. First, we'll all say mean and hateful things, then, we'll have a decadent meal with nice wine, and then, wild group sex.

After that, I'll go take a dump on his grave.

#18 HuskyPup, Dec 23, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2015
  19. Hexagon

Dying doesn't make you a saint. If things need to be talked about, then they should be.

20. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The responses have been good. I like that this looks at both sides of the coin, in that it's permissible as long as a person moves on.