1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

UK perspective from other countries.

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Secrets5, Dec 22, 2015.

1. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Scotland had a vote on this in 2014 and the majority voted to stay in. I think Wales is having a vote sometime.

2. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you do an internet search for very British problems, you will find some interesting and possibly amusing perspectives on life in the UK and our very unique and understated way of thinking, some of which have been mentioned in this thread.

For example:
    (British-speak) "I don't really go in for that sort of thing".
    (Translation) "I fucking hate that and you wouldn't catch me dead doing it".

3. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Indeed. There is no colonial rule - England hasn't existed as a country since 1707 when it entered into a voluntary union with Scotland.

---------- Post added 23rd Dec 2015 at 03:38 PM ----------

This is true. We have the strictest libel laws in the world apparently. You wouldn't risk getting sued if you said 'Adele is a bitch and can't sing' but you might if you went around saying 'Adele is a pedophile and rapes children' and major news publications had it on front page.. it's ultimately up to a court to decide whether such words have caused damage to a person's career or life in any way, and the onus is on the person making such claims to prove their validity.

That being said, libel laws are susceptible to abuse.

#23 imnotreallysure, Dec 23, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2015
  4. Mzansi

The U.K. should be much more aware of the fact that most of the laws that are homophobic in their former colonies stem from British colonial laws.

A higher degree of acceptance for the instrumental role in Queerphobia that the U.K has played would go a long way,
    Especially with this superiority complex many Western countries have developed regarding the matter.

P.S You guys were horrendously late with your marriage law for such a 'liberal' country.

5. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I've been watching FRIENDS since I was 9, that and the fact I liked others of the same-sex only back then, was why I never thought homophobia existed, well, I didn't know 'sexuality' existed. I just thought 'love' existed. Anyway, so in 1999 Carol and Susan got married. They said 'god loves it when two people, any two people, come together in love' [adlibbing]. So I thought 'any two people' could get married in the US [and UK], but only found out same-sex marriages legal in 2015.

We aren't a liberal country, believe me. We're more liberal than some countries, I'll give our country that, but it's not 'liberal'. But who can entirely be free? If everyone were to be free, then nothing would get done. And what is 'right' or 'wrong', anyway? Socially constructed, by my opinion, but you can answer [maybe for a different topic...]

#25 Secrets5, Dec 23, 2015
  6. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Nothing.

Americans worship Brits.

I have no idea why...

7. MayaBee

I have actually never heard bad things about the UK. I am kinda in love with how liberate you guys are(and your accent is amazing)
    And I actually understand why you have so many cameras. Nobody likes to get harmed or robbed, so better be safe, Right?

As someone from Switzerland, I know how annoying these things can be. i have been confronted with people who seriously still thought that swiss people are either farmers or bankers and that we all only eat cheese and chocolates besides the fact that we would all be incrediably rich. Not true at all.

8. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You're extremely naive if you believe that. The homophobic laws in certain former colonies just as much reflect the prevailing mindset of the people living there - and although you want lay the blame for all the world's problems on our doorstep, it's not our fault. We've moved on from that.

There's no shame in admitting that the West is simply better in many ways. There's also no shame in saying the cultures of some countries actively promote homophobia. Denying otherwise simply sweeps these problems under the carpet and these places will never improve their track record regarding LGBT people if they continue to believe what they do I'd justified.

The UK was later than places like Sweden probably because we're not as liberal as they are. Homosexuality was still illegal in parts of the UK until the early 1980s. Gay people couldn't serve openly in the army until 2000. There was a law prohibiting the promotion of homosexuality in schools - that wasn't repealed until 2003.

Doesn't stop it being ranked the best country in Europe for gay people though. Public opinion has always been one step ahead of government policy.

Also rather funny that our right wing Conservatives were the ones to legalise same-sex marriage.

#28 imnotreallysure, Dec 23, 2015
  9. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It seems to be the capital of kinky sex, especially if you're into latex, bondage and puppy-play, and stuff like that. I'm always amazed by how many companies are based there that cater to such interests, and how many people/events there are along such lines.The overall kinkiness rate in the UK must be at least 20 times what it is here!

I see it as an island full of horny people, into exotic sex.

It makes the US seem boring and puritanical by comparison.

#29 HuskyPup, Dec 23, 2015
  10. FootballFan101

The only reason I would hate the British is the tragedies they did across the world (even my own Ireland) when they where an empire, now I dont have a reason to hate them and consider them an ally to Ireland. I have a friend who is British

11. Harve

I've never heard the idea that the UK is a nanny state and riddled with CCTV, but it's come up many times in this thread.

I guess it makes a change from bad teeth.

12. BaldOldGoat

I thought that was actually much more true of Germany than Britain?

13. Mzansi

First of all,
    If you are unable how to see how certain aspects of colonization encouraged Queerphobia in other nations then you should probably study some texts on Pre-European influence China,
    Mbanza-Kongo in Africa and even the Mapungubwe and Monomutapa in Southern Africa,
    All of them having instances of open homosexuality.

Some traditional societies in Kenya still permit lesbian marriage to this extent.

I had to laugh for your 'We have moved on' because the rates of hate crime,
    Transphobic crimes and Queerphobic ones in general remain high,
    And in the context of national crime statistics,
    Your Queer community is under attack,
    So I'd reflect more on how 'moved on' you guys actually are.

The West is not 'better' in this way as even my little backwards country in Africa had better LGBTQIPA+ protection and marriage than the UK did about 7 years before the movement in your country gained any sort of traction.

'The West' is still a generally Queerphobic space with just as many laws against gay marriage, It's more dangerous to be Trans* in the US than a soldier in Afghanistans Helmand province, and although this sounds extreme, it's sadly true.

So although you guys have made many strides in your fight for equal rights, you are not 'better' than the global south or other countries, and you guys have a long way to go.

It's funny that I never once mentioned the role of former colonies and how homophobic they are, they are, I never denied that. My statement wasn't a 'Cause of this, the former colonies are blameless'. You chose to make it about that and honestly, you were extremely patronizing for calling me naïve and insinuating that. Your opinion does not hold more water than mine in the matter, they're equal, and if anything, I would be very aware of the colonial impact Britain has had on its colonial empire.

14. Mzansi

I think that everyone has the right to be free and should not be held back by oppressive constraints set forth by groups of people who believe they posses superior traits or nationality.

As someone from a country that is not western, and having lived abroad my whole life, I've come to realize that as we sit right now, the world is not a free place for the vast majority of people if you're not white, straight and male sadly.

A free society would not lack any of the professions we have today or systems, but would rather allow the individual true free choice in what they would choose to do with their life. Freedom to me goes beyond legislation and encompasses social attitudes and treatment of people regardless of the 'packaging' they come in.

Just my ramblings though haha!

15. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ah, I'd agree that on the Continent, the Germans definitely take the prize! Though for a small island, I'm always amazed by the sheer volume of kink in the UK. Almost all the gear I've ever ordered or had custom made has come from there. Even now, I'm waiting on a set of hand/foot-paws for my puppy outfit. (In blue, with pink-paw-pads, so they'll also be cute!)

Maybe we need to find a way to measure kink-per-capita. I bet the UK and Germany are both quite high :slight_smile:

16. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You're desperately trying to make it appear like everywhere is equal in this regard, but that isn't true. The majority of countries in Africa carry varying penalties for homosexuality - with some making exceptions for lesbianism for obvious sexist reasons. In some of these places, homosexuality - or at least acting upon it - is punishable by death. The only country that has made any significant progress in regards to LGBT rights is South Africa - and even then, the majority of people think homosexuality should not be accepted by society, in comparison to a vast and clear majority in Western Europe and a smaller but still clear majority in the US.

Crime against LGBT individuals is higher than it should be - it ought to be zero, or at least close to it. This is irrelevant in the context of this discussion though - which is comparing the way LGBT individuals are treated both by the law and society in 'the West' vs everywhere else. The verdict is pretty clear - but if you're in doubt, I suggest holding the hands of another man in London versus Nairobi and see what happens. You'd certainly encounter people who wouldn't approve in the former - but it's certainly going to be few and far between in comparison to the latter (bearing in mind that homosexuality is punishable by imprisonment in Kenya so not only are you risking abuse, but you're risking jail time).

The fight is far from over, but it's reasonable to say that places like the UK find themselves in a better position - but this is true of nearly everything in general. I would certainly need a very big incentive to move away from where I currently live - even parts of the US seem hostile to my way of life. I consider myself quite fortunate to have been born where I was.

That's an interesting claim - was there an official study? Or is it made up?

#36 imnotreallysure, Dec 24, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2015
  17. Mzansi

I have held the hands of a man in Nairobi and I was just as well received as when I did the same in London,
    So in reply to your question posed to me,
    There is no difference between the two.

I'm not sure we are going to go anywhere with a discussion as it feels you've got your mind made up on the matter which is fine.

Have a good day!

18. Open Arms

Open Arms Guest

The UK is highly regarded in Canada from what I know. I feel more comfortable, more at home, when visiting there than I do when visiting the USA.

19. radicalmuffins

Out Status:
    A few people
    As someone from the UK who is now based elsewhere, I actually like the idea of CCTV cameras EVERYWHERE. Back home if you ran into trouble like being robbed or whatever, chances are, there will be footage. It makes us safe I guess and the police can actually benefit from it so I don't see why it can be taken as a disadvantage.

I take them as part of the culture and tradition of the UK rather than an actual political figure. Despite this though, the queen is still a very influential person. I think that is undeniable. In a way, I do find here likeable but I think after her death, the royal family's popularity would go down with her. I'm not a fan of this Prince Charles person.

France has already enforced a ban on niqabs. I personally think that there should be a law to regulate this in the UK. From the country where I am now, terrorists use the niqab to hide ammunition or guns underneath and has often been used to transport these things without being detected. This is often reported in the news and it's quite disturbing really how people use all means to do terrorism.

I believe the reason why it was implemented in France was because they emphasised that it was a threat to public security. It would very hard to identify the people behind the niqab and I guess they have every right to protect their citizens and the ban made it easier to do surveillance. I do not consider it racist at all. Especially now that there are women who are known to participate in terrorism, I think it is just right to regulate these kinds of things. Fear has stricken Europe, sadly.

20. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I like that. I'm taking it the translation would be American-speak, no?