1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why can't I do it?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Nordland, Dec 18, 2015.

1. Nordland

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I know my parents are 100% OK if me or one of my siblings where gay. But for some weird reason I can never bring myself to tell them. Any tips?

2. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! It happens quite often that one needs time to be ready to tell family members or parents. Trying and wanting to come out to your parents are indications that you are getting to that point. Have you tried coming out to your siblings? Sometimes, it might be easier to come out to a brother and/or sister before coming out to ones parents.

Have you come out to a friend or two?

Another strategy you could try is writing a coming out letter that you could give to your parents. For some, it is easier to come out in writing than in person or talking about it. Writing out your thoughts could help also help you to gain some more courage or confidence.

3. bookandquill

Out Status:
    A few people
    Just make it seem like an insignificant thing, and then you'll worry about it less. You could also tell them once you get a boyfriend.

4. headsup1958

^this

5. Adz425

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    This doesnt have to be rushed, when you feel comfortable then go ahead. Do you have anyone else to tell first?

When I came out as Bi, I told a few friends first. After that I felt comfortable with telling people, then I just told my family like I did with my friends.

And it doesnt have to be all at once, you could tell your mother first, or maybe a brother/sister.

6. badger

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Talk to a therapist and they will always have your back. They will be there for you in any situation presented