1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out on New Years

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Matto_Corvo, Dec 17, 2015.

1. Matto_Corvo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So I plan to come out as transgender on New Years. Normally I don't post new years resolution but I decided this would be a good time to since starting my transition is one of my major things, along with going back to school.

Originally I was going to open up the post (because I am doing it on Facebook because I am chicken) with talking about an event from this year. I was going to say something like...:

A lot has happen in the year of 2015 but there is one event from my life that has stuck in my mind for a while. It was the time I sat in the kitchen and await for the majority of my hair to be buzzer off. And before we started the person who was going to do it asked "Are you sure?" As we all know, no matter my answer my hair came off. It was a decision I have not regretted.
    Why has that one event stayed in my mind? Because of that one question. "Are you sure?" Wither she knew it or not I had been asking myself that question for a while, not about my hair but about my gender identity. About wither I was transgender or not. The cutting of my hair was just one step in me trying to figure it out...

And that is kind of as far as I have gotten with it.
    I want to find ways to explain what it means to be transgender. As well I know people will point out that I was never that kid who insisted I was a boy, and in fact I tried to be like other girls in my class. I want to find ways to tell them I want to start transitioning this year, especially since my insurance is up in another years. (My insurance does cover gender therapist, hormones, top surgery, and hysterectomy in regards to SRS though I will probably only get to hormones before it is up.)

I'm really looking for advice on how to go about this
    My mom knows I am trans, and she has told my aunts though none of them has talked about me about it and seem to use female pronouns a lot more now.

Also...why does this all scare me shitless

#1 Matto_Corvo, Dec 17, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2015
  2. animatedPi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It scares me to come out as well, I am coming out on Facebook as well, but the majority lies on YouTube, you might be scared because you are scared of how people might react to it, I am as well, but I am trying to come over that fear now, 2016 lies ahead of me, and I am planning to be completely out by the end of next year, and also be openly gay for once.
    My advice is if you don't think you can do it, don't force yourself into doing it, but if you want to go for it. Who cares what others think of you? You are your own person and if they see you as less important, it's their opinion, not yours, be proud of who you are.

3. Lacybi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm also planning on coming out in the new year. I'm only fifteen so it's mainly my peers (the guys are mostly transphobic assholes but I don't care; I'm going crazy here) that I have to worry about. My parents know and are kind of meh about it as well as a few of my friends. I wrote an essay on being non-binary for English basically it was my life story but I said my name was Danni and when asked where I got the idea from I just bluffed about reading stuff with trans characters online. I'm kicking myself now.

I think your post has started really well and it definitely made me interested to read more which is a great thing.

#3 Lacybi, Dec 17, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2015
  4. fijiwaterprince

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I'm joining you! lol
    I've already started gender therapy though, and I have my reference already written for hormones. My friends know I am, but my parents don't.

I think you're mainly afraid because transitioning will change your life forever - and as long as you know it's right it'll be for the better. It may change relationships too when you come out, which is why I've been putting it off for five years. I hope it goes well for you!

5. Matto_Corvo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks everyone for the replies, and I a sorry that it has taken so long.
    I plan to post the letter I will post in two days on here sometime tonight so that I can get some last minute feedback.

I hope all of us have a good reaction to coming out. we all deserve happiness and support, and to be who we truly are inside.

6. Matto_Corvo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Dear friends and family,

For a person who loves to write I suddenly find myself at a lose of words, and at this time when I most need them. I know by now that the majority of you know that something is up, that I have been currently working through something. A few of you may even know what that something is, either because you have guessed or because you have been told. If you are wondering what I am talking about please let me clarify.

I would like to inform you that I am transgender.

This is the part where my words fail. I can not group together a sequence of letters that would begin to explain this you or help it make sense. I can tell you that this isn't a phase, that I have been thinking about this on and off since I entered puberty. I can tell you that I'm certain I'm not just a lesbian, because I have honestly never been attracted to a female in my life. I can tell you that when I look in the mirror I see a male that happen to have female shaped body.

I have decided to come out about being transgender because at some point, hopefully in the near future, I wish to transition from this female shaped body to a male one, to one that better matches how I feel on the inside. I wish to go by male pronouns (he/him/his). Online I have gone by the name Alexander, and even have some wonderful friends who use the name in real life..though they have shortened it to Xander.

(please someone help, i feel like I am just digging a grave.
    There are so little trans coming out letters to go off of so I have no idea what to do. I thought of including vidoes of UppercaseCHASE1 to see if that helps explain anything

please help, i really want to come out and get it over with)

7. DreamerBoy17

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Firstly, this coming out on New Years thing is a really great idea. I might have to come out to my cousin as trans now. I was going to anyways but that's a good symbolic day. :grin:

As for your letter, it's very well written. Maybe you could expand on the section where you explain your journey to realizing you were transgender and how that feels? Then they might understand your identity a little better.
    And uppercaseCHASE1 is great for informative videos! I actually sent my friends his video on pronouns. Go for it.

I hope all goes well. Keep us updated!

8. Matto_Corvo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah, I wanted to start the new year as myself.

Explaining how I came to realizing I was trans is the part I am having trouble with, I think mostly because I find it irrelevant information.
    I'm not going to talk about how I was 16 and felt sick just looking in the mirror, and how showers made me want to cry. I want talk about being that young and trying to figure out the best way to kill myself, because the majority of my family views suicide as a stupid and selfish act. I was so worried that by killing myself I would disappointment them that I never did it. They would understand these things.
    And I can't say I feel like I was born in the wrong body because I don't. I have always felt that this is my body, I just didn't have the puberty I should of.

9. DreamerBoy17

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, your explanation doesn't have to follow the typical trans dialogue! Just explain you the best you can. :slight_smile:

10. Mebime

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Good luck ya'all! May the force be with you.

11. Matto_Corvo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The actual letter might be delayed till Janruary 4th as I've just learned I won't have accesses to a laptop or desktop till them, and I'm not to great at typing letters on a phone.

But I will still be make a simple short post with things I wish to achieve in 2016, and coming out as trans will be the first thing I write on that list.

12. Matto_Corvo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So far everyone is being rather accepting.