1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General News Anyone Else Watching The Republican Debate?

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Open Arms, Dec 15, 2015.

1. guyquestioning

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    No candidate in either party is good. Except maybe sandars...Hillary goes wherever the polls go and forget the repubs...they have to pander to Christian nuts (not all Christians are nuts. I'm just saying that the repubs pander to that subgroup of Christians)

2. Plattyrex

I think it's going to go to whatever Republican gets the nomination. Bernie Sanders isn't going to get the nomination unfortunately, and the only other person on the Democratic ticket of note is Hilary. The problem with Hilary is that there is no truth or sincerity behind anything she says, and she has no charisma to mask any of it. Trump, while out of his mind, at least seems to believe the things he's saying. Rubio for better or worse is admittedly very charismatic, and I would say is more than capable of winning an election. Hilary has none of those things, and she's been in hot water already despite not even being president yet. It is very clear to tell that she constantly changes her opinion solely to accommodate what the polls are telling her people want to here, and she already has the Benghazi scandal to explain away. This is all stuff that is going to be in campaign commercials and debates. She has made it way to easy for whoever she's running against to turn the country against her, and that's exactly what they're gonna do. Unless it's Ben Carson. He's got nothing.

3. SiennaFire

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    According to the aggregated poll data on the site QBear references Clinton and Trump are leading their respective parties (even when you consider the margin of error), so we could make a case that Andrew99 correctly called the election based on today's data :slight_smile:

Having said that, I agree that it's too early to call the 2016 election today.

#43 SiennaFire, Dec 19, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2015
  4. RainbowGreen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Whoever you elect, it will take a lot of change for me (and many other people) to gain faith in you guys (as in the USA).

Anyway, could you please not let Trump win? I swear, the Republican candidates only get worse and worse every time :/

5. Typhoon

Typhoon Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    As far as I know, there has never been a female US president. If she reached out to other women and spoke actively on issues of gender equality, this could inevitably prove helpful in her campaign. However like nearly other politicians, she's fake and also, a complete fraud.

Old Scandal Resurfacing for Hillary Clinton - The Worst News Possible for Her Presidential Campaign (VIDEO) - The Political Insider

Trump says things most people, especially politicians would be uncomfortable to say. I always admire people who speak their mind. If someone gushes over me and pretends to enjoy my company when I haven't showered for say... 2 months, I'm less likely to find them direct and honest compared to someone who tells me that I must be living in a sewer. There is no political correctness nonsense with this guy. His popularity is growing, no matter how alarming his statements. Likewise (and inevitably) any future terrorist attacks in the West and/or especially in America will see a rise in his support.

Look at their respective twitter accounts. Hilary gets very few retweets and favourites (considering she's a candidate) for things she posted hours ago than Trump, who doubles in that respect for something he posts half an hour ago. May I add that Jeb Bush criticizing and mocking Trump is actually making the guy more popular. America has had quite a history with two other ''Bushes'' and anything the bloke says is never taken seriously, which also leads people to listen to his adversary to see what he has to offer.

Speaking of Bush, he does come across like a petulant child who didn't make prefect.
    Jeb Bush: 'Donald Trump is a jerk' - CNNPolitics.com

6. AKTodd

And, for those who don't know 'The Political Insider' is a right wing newletter/blog/rag, not a professional (or worthwhile or objective) news source. Think Fox News but without anything like the same level of journalistic integrity or objective reporting.

For an example of the kind and quality of what they report see this bit from Snope.com:

LINK

Todd

7. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    No QBear! Hilary is gonna be the next president! :slight_smile:

8. Skaros

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    If she gets the nominee, she will definitely lose. Unless the economy is booming, then it's usually the party that's not in the White House that wins the election.

Speaking of candidates for president, I participated as a volunteer in Bernie Sander's campaign today. :slight_smile: Hillary had a lot of potential to be president but she blew it.

9. QBear

Would you care to advance a substantive argument, or are you going to continue to be a childish troll?

---------- Post added 19th Dec 2015 at 11:56 PM ----------

AKTodd and Typhoon, you both need to stop knee-jerk reacting against each other like a couple of roosters battling for position. It makes you both seem like dicks.

Which is too bad, because you both have interesting and substantive points to make.

---------- Post added 20th Dec 2015 at 12:07 AM ----------

Good point.

However, I forgot to mention that the statistically correct margins of error in polls with many many choices (such as the Republican primary) are typically huge, although the polling firms typically (wrongly) calculate the margins of error as if they are two-way contests. And, given the large number of still undecided voters in the polls, as well as the skewed demographics of who actually shows up to primaries and caucuses, the primary polls are fairly worthless in multiple choice races with so many choices

And, historically, primary polls have just also been pretty inaccurate until the field narrows.

So I'm just not sure the statistical evidence is strong enough to support Trump winning the GOP primaries. We'll see.

---------- Post added 20th Dec 2015 at 12:22 AM ----------

I'm glad you did. :slight_smile:
    I support Sanders, too, on principle.

That said, I still think its too soon to tell if Clinton wins or looses. Me thinks it depends mightily on who the GOP nominee is, and what happens between now and the election.

10. QBear

Heck, there's even still a very slim chance that Sanders could surge against Hillary late in the game, just as Obama did in 2008, although I'm not holding my breath or betting on it.

#50 QBear, Dec 19, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2015
  11. SiennaFire

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think you missed my point :slight_smile:

Andrew99 is expressing an opinion, namely, his support for Hilary. I'm not sure why he needs to back up his support for a political candidate with a statistical model demonstrating victory in November 2016. We both know how difficult that would be.

Please try to be nice and don't act like a rooster.

#51 SiennaFire, Dec 20, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2015
  12. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Look I don't want to argue about it. Only time will tell. Anyways if you haven't noticed foreign countries gave the Hilary foundation millions!

13. QBear

Yes, I was too harsh on Andrew99. I'm sorry.

However, this was at least the second time that he just posted "Hillary is gonna win!" in response to people he disagrees with without making any argument as to why he thinks she is going to win. This is essentially akin to shouting down divergent opinions, rather than engaging in a productive discussion. Generally speaking, its kind of rude.

Andrew99, or anyone else, for that matter, don't need a statistical model to discuss politics, but they should do everyone the courtesy of advancing arguments to support their opinion, and stimulate discussion. The whole point of forums is that none of us has the corner on the truth, and that through discussion, we learn from each other, further the evolution of ideas, and occasionally discover morsels of truth. And simply stating your conclusion over and over furthers none of that.

In that regard, I brought statistics in to make the point that outcomes are uncertain, and that we all need to have enough humility about that they we are still open to new information and new ways of thinking about things.

Opinions are a dime a dozen. What is interesting is not necessarily your opinion, but how you got there.

---------- Post added 20th Dec 2015 at 04:21 PM ----------

As I said above, this is a discussion board, so I DO want to argue about it, otherwise I wouldn't be here. Lol :slight_smile:

Tell me more about these foreign foundations that have allegedly given Clinton millions.
    Where is the proof? What do you think they want from her in return? Is this a good thing or a bad thing, and why?

That's the kind of thing I'm interested in. I want to learn and be challenged.

#53 QBear, Dec 20, 2015
  14. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Ugh Qbear so I'm trying to upload an image of what I saw about Hilary and it's not working!! :frowning2: so I'll just type out what is said

Foreign countries gave Hilary clintons foundation millions!

Kingdom of Saudi Arabia $10,000,000 - $25,000,000
    State of Kuwait $5,000,000 - $10,000,000
    Government of Norway $10,000,000 - $25,000,000
    UK department of international development $1,000,000 - $5,000,000
    United Arab Emirates $1,000,000 - 5,000,000
    And there was a lot more but I don't have time right now to type them out.

#54 Andrew99, Dec 20, 2015
  15. AKTodd

Fair enough. My apologies for letting my emotions get the better of me.

Todd

16. QBear

So what is the source for this? Can you give us a link?
    And what do you think it means?

17. Herbert

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've stopped watching the debates, simply because they are utterly and totally meaningless. I'm a Libertarian, not a Republican, and a teenager. I have absolutely no influence over the nomination. What I do have influence over is not filling my ears with political blather and meaningless promises, while catering to a madman and several madmen. I'm not overly fond of Hillary, but at least she's sane.

18. sldanlm

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    To be fair, there are a couple of Republican candidates that are sane, you just don't hear much about them because they are running 2-3% in the polling right now. The problem isn't the candidates, it's some of the far right crazy people in the Republican party right now.
    In addition, Trump still has more negative numbers in the Republican party than positive, but he's technically ahead only because the people who are opposed to him are spread out over a dozen other candidates. (at the moment)