1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

This is for The Parents

Discussion in 'For Parents and Family Members of LGBT People' started by Willa, Dec 13, 2015.

1. Supportivemom

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Thank you for reviving this festivalhinge! In the wake of Orlando, I have been feeling more tender and anxious. I had kept NPR off on the ride to school thinking that I could just protect my daughter a little while longer (only 12). Then someone told her and I was so sad. I am fully committed to helping her be a goddess warrior and we cried together.

2. RavenTheRat

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Yes, you guys are literal super heroes in every way and I wish I could find every parent who's ever posted in this freaking section and give them a gigantic, fabulous hug.

3. andimon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I just want to say that I envy your kids so much that they have parents who actually search for advice on how to be the best version of themselves in dealing with their children's uniqueness.

4. Reggie

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I am glad there's a site like this. I've learned a lot by reading here.

My son is in the process of coming out, and I'm scared for him.

5. guitar

Hi Reggie, I would create a thread about your son, describe his circumstances, and the rest of us will offer whatever advice we can.

6. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    While this thread is at the top of the list, I thought it might be an idea to link to this page from the Empty Closets resources area: Empty Closets - Parent and Family Stages of Grief

Even the most accepting of parents may experience a tinge of sadness, regret or worry when their kids come out and the stages of grief page helps to explain some of these feelings. It's also a useful resource for kids who are planning to come out to parents/family members.

7. Reggie

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Is there a way to rename threads?

I did start one, but incorrectly called it my gender fluid daughter. I've learned a lot on a short time, including his preference for trans male over FTM or even AFAB.

---------- Post added 1st Jul 2016 at 05:45 PM ----------

Patrick,

I'm going to start a new thread about stages of grief. That's interesting. I'd be interested in your thoughts.

8. XxAlexanderxX

Out Status:
    Some people
    Even though I'm not a parent, I'm so grateful for this post! Parents need to know that their lgbtq+ children appreciate acceptance and support so much. Support can really help someone through a tough time, and I know that from experience. My mom is very supportive and attenpting to understand this as I become more comfortable with myself and come out to more people, and so does her fiancee. My father is slowly coming around a tiny bit, but when he first learned I was questioning he responded negatively and it hurt a lot, resulting in me cutting off contact with him for months. So I respect the parents who are open-minded, even if they don'f understand, because it shows that they love their child so much they are willing to keep supoorting them for who they are. <3

9. Willa

I'm so glad the little thread I started has picked back up!

For the parents here: Again, thank you so much for reaching out. We love you with all our hearts. You are an important part of the queer community and we would all be lost without you.

For the kids: It gets easier. Either your parents come around, or you end up finding people in your own community, older and wiser queer people, who sort of adopt you, and you become their gaybies and it's beautiful. Keep your chin up.

My wife and I are helping our roommate and best friend, a single mom, raise her two girls. One of them, she's only eight years old, confessed that she has a crush on her best friend, who is a girl. We are navigating this new leg of our journey together, and trying to teach and support her as best as we can.

Even queer parents don't have all the answers! Because every child is different and has different needs. It's okay to feel overwhelmed sometimes. That's parenting for you. The most important part is that you love your kid, and that they feel safe with you.

My prayers are constantly with the parents and children here.