1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fading dysphoria?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Invidia, Dec 13, 2015.

1. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    Does anyone else feel like their dysphoria lessened some time after they came out to themselves, so to say? Because for me, I feel like I have less and less dysphoria, to the point where I at times doubt whether I'm really trans, even though I've had it before, including as a young child... I don't know if it's just that time heals wounds or my meds or what, but I feel less dysphoria, which is good in one way but also increases my confusion about everything. Like, can I really be sure this is who I am? What if I'm wrong? I just want to either let it go and live my life as it was designated, i.e. as male, (though I don't quite see right now how that would work), or continue forward and live as female full time. I hate this limbo of being sort of in between, and I hate doubting myself like this because it makes me feel invalid...

2. darkcomesoon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My dysphoria decreased significantly after I started binding every day and having people use they/them pronouns for me and a gender neutral nickname. Chest dysphoria had been my main issue and binding dealt with it pretty effectively, and not being misgendered all the time allowed me to forget about the other things that made me dysphoric. It got to the point where I started wondering if I had been making it up, and I wasn't really trans. I am trans though. I still get significant dysphoria (I didn't really for a while, but it gradually came back), just less than I did before I came out. But I was trans even when my dysphoria was really low.

If the steps you're taking are decreasing your dysphoria, this is a good thing. Keep going forwards. If you ever get to the point where you don't have any dysphoria, or if you take a step that makes you less comfortable, stop. Get yourself to the point where you feel comfortable and don't keep going. You don't have to take every transition step possible to be trans. But if you were dysphoric before, have been coming out to yourself and others, and now feel less dysphoric, you're probably still trans. You're just taking steps that relieve some of your dysphoria. And that's a good thing.

3. JackIsANerd

I actually feel like that too ever since I accepted myself I have had very little dysphoria. I think the only times it is worse is when I am out in public or around people that use female names for me a lot. I doubt I am trans most of the time even though I thought I figured everything out. I am also in a kinda in between I have two paths to choose from and I know which one will make me happier but I still don't know what to do.

I hope we figure everything out (*hug*) and im sure fading dysphoria isn't uncommon?

4. baconpox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Dysphoria comes in episodes, it's normal to not be dysphoric sometimes.

5. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It's not something that's usually present 24/7. I've talked to older trans women who said it came in waves, but the longer they went on lying to themselves, the more severe it became. And the feeling inauthentic, fake, it's very common, even among the most "true" types.

Another friend of mine said that life is a transition, and I don't think the struggle ever goes away completely. I also think it's common for transgender folk to question themselves, since they get so many conflicting messages from people around them.

6. Jiramanau

Out Status:
    Some people
    It comes and goes. I just had a huge conversation last week with a friend and kind of laid it all out for her so i have felt pretty good since then but the dysphoria has always come back and I'm sure it will again. I try to put self doubt out of my mind, suffering isn't what makes me who I am it's just an unfortunate byproduct.

7. Eveline

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Gender dysphoria is decreased through taking actions towards transitioning or if you go back into a state of repression which is characterized by numbness, disconnect and a lack of feeling. Considering the renewed doubts that you feel and how confused it is making you feel, it is probably a sign that you are escaping and going through a period of disconnect. It's just a way for you to pass the time until your endo appointment without suffering daily and putting yourself at risk. If you want to remind yourself that you are trans try to focus on a body part that is distictly male, you will most likely feel as if there is something clouding your thoughts and blocking your ability to do so. I hope you feel better soon. (*hug*)

8. thepandaboss

Mine probably got worse when I first came out to myself but it became a little easier for me to manage once I was actually able to present male, start binding, and able to be myself. I don't have bad dysphoria most of the time- most days I'm usually in a pretty good state of mind. But when it does hit me, it hits pretty hard. It's normal to fluctuate or for your dysphoria to not be that strong in the first place.

9. MetalRice

It generally tends to come and go for most people I would say, or at least me, mine mostly just kind of sits in the background and exists; and sometimes spikes up to worse levels dependning on my mood and what I am doing.

10. Matto_Corvo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Same for me.
    It is background noise, bit every once in a while it overwhelms me.

11. MetalRice

Pretty much how it works for me as well as I said, it's just that thing that muddles there as background noise and is there enough that I am aware of it, but not bad enough that I can't get through the day mostly-trouble free; it usually overwhelms when I am in a particularly bad spat mood-wise.

12. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    Thanks a lot. <3
    The only way forward I can see where I'm happy is fully transitioning. So yeah, that's my goal. :') It's just sometimes I feel like I'm walking with an anchor tied to my feet and my motivation to continue forward is just so low... that's the depression talking, obviously... and then I feel like "Will I ever have the energy to fully pursue this thing that I want so desperately?" But then I think that I do only get one shot at this life, so I don't want to settle for less or back down.

---------- Post added 17th Dec 2015 at 09:47 PM ----------

Yeah, it definitely got worse for me at first - but now, after (about six months, I think?), it has kind of stabilized and is less intense.

13. fijiwaterprince

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Not really. The only fading I experience is the anxiety fading away as I further transition and the more people use he/him pronouns. Other than that I never feel like I could easily go back to life and be normal as a female. Although it may take more time - I've only recognized I am transgender for five years now while it sounds like you have known and recognized it your entire life.

14. FootballFan101

No, its always there for me

15. littleraven

My chest dysphoria isn't as bad as it used to be.