1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Social Anxiety.

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by MrSkittles, Dec 11, 2015.

1. MrSkittles

It sucks for me especially for when Gyn Class comes around. Like whenever i have gym i have like a mini panic attack because im around a lot of people i dont know. I feel like they will hate me or judge me. This feeling is the worst! i hate it so so so much.

2. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Try to gradually expose yourself to what you fear so you can build up your resilience. Remember that a lot of others are probably also feeling anxious or nervous. Try to focus on the task at hand rather than what others may be thinking (you are not a mindreader!). Also, try not to breathe too quickly; square breathing may help.
    Santa Clara University - Square Breathing (Deep Breathing)

3. timetraveltea

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Despite how it may feel, people usually aren't watching you as closely as you think they are. They're not going to be ultra focused on you. It's easier said than done, but try to remember this. Maybe it will help set your mind at ease a bit.

And I think a lot of people don't like gym class and worry about it, so you're in an environment where others are probably not feeling their greatest either. You're not alone. I tended to gravitate towards the other gym haters in my class, and it made me feel less out of place and self-conscious.

I would focus on trying to be your awesome self despite the atmosphere of ick. You can do it!

4. Lone Dragon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I agree with what timetraveltea and resu have said.

I used to have the same mentality. That I was the center of attention, fear of making a fool of myself, and hated being around tons of people. All I can really say is that you do you. Be positive and don't let your mind think the worst of every situation. Most times from my experiences, what you think will happen, 99% of the time it never happens. Plus most people are probably more into themselves, then worrying what other people are doing. Also maybe try and find a friend as well. I found it easier in big social settings if I had just one friend with me. :slight_smile:

Fear is something that simple is there to try and hold you back in life. Don't let it.

5. MrSkittles

-Thanks guys :slight_smile: this is why i hate pe. I suck at everything with sports and worrly ill be judged because of my lack of skill.

6. GayOtaku

Well, I might not have social anxiety (I think I do) but I do have BDD. So it makes me hate PE from the bottom of my heart.
    I would skip a whole day of school to miss PE if I could.

7. MrSkittles

I would to! I just cant stand being around people i dont know

8. TimeMorph

I feel the same way pretty much, if I don't have a friend in a class once partner/group work comes around, I get anxious asf.