1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What are you thinking?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Martin, Dec 10, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gen

Gen

This is going to be the highlight of my week:

I attended an LGBTQ event that an old friend was hosting at the university of my hometown today. Now, I am not sure whether this person was interested in me personally or simply wanted to know more about what I expected in a romantic partner out of curiosity. I don't even know his sexuality. Regardless after references that social awareness is a clear requirement, this White guy asks me, "What about the innocently racist?." He goes on to say that "That some people might have racial fetishes, use the N-word, or fear certain kinds of people of color, but not mean to be racist. Would you reject them?"

I said, "Absolutely."

He noticeably grew irritated and replies, "Well, then you are going to miss out on a chance to be with some great people."

To which I gave a hardy cackle. I couldn't even compose myself. There was this second of silence after he said that in which I open my mouth to respond, but I made eye contact with the the Filipino guy who was standing next to me looking equally perplexed and we just both lost it. I genuinely cannot remember the last time that I laughed that hard.

There are certain aspects of privilege that you might not necessarily subscribe to, but the one true form of privilege that cannot be denied is the ability to view ignorance and prejudice as irrelevant and something that we can all ignore. The sentiment that they seem like great people when they aren't being racist so I can overlook it. There are so many people who share certain privileged identities who feel that social awareness and understanding are bonuses. As though not being racist is like not having abs.

As though it is shallow to reject someone for racist comments or behavior if they still volunteer at the soup kitchen. There are those who genuinely view prejudice as no different than general philosophy. As though these thoughts and issues are simply something to be debated and agreed or disagreed upon rather than an experience that other human beings actually have to live. He honestly thought that I, as a clearly visible brown person, am missing out on the opportunity to give myself to someone and wake up next to them every morning knowing about the prejudice and ignorance that lives within them. They are the extraordinary romantic catch that I will be missing out on. How exactly was I not suppose to cackle?

2. Burnedcloset

My life experience is so strange. That feels self centered to say though. And I think a lot of people feel the same way. everyone seems to have a unique experience in the world. Different viewpoints and opinions.

A lot of people feel the world owes them something based on the bad/negative things in life. I'm guilty of this but, to a certain extent I know there is always positive. I know you can't be handed happiness. Happiness is created from yourself. Nobody can make it for you. Life isn't a fairytale. There is no prince/princess. Only people trying to achieve.

you've got to be your own hero.

3. Burnedcloset

Double post......

Has anyone else been jamming to Christmas music?

#723 Burnedcloset, Dec 21, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2015
  4. Beebop

Beebop Guest

Yes. The tired excuse of "everyone is racist" does not excuse anyone for engaging in such behavior and commentary. I don't know if I could have had the same response as you. I remember some years ago when my then boss' wife replied with "Who are you? Where have you been? You should be used to it by now." in response to my then latest episode of blatant discrimination. She then compared the struggle minorities face with discrimination, me in particular, to having a last name that kids made fun of while she was growing up. Her cluelessness left me dumbstruck. It was something that deserved no response, let alone laughter.

I've lived in two other places where racism was deeply entrenched in the social fabric, yet I had to move to a (faux)-liberal place in order to get called a n***** b**** while off minding my own business. I couldn't muster a laugh for that one either. Nor could I for people's response that I should just ignore or not worry about it.

I won't even go too much into the whole racial fetish thing except to say that the attraction to someone due to deeply held stereotypes of their perceived race is disturbing to say the least.

5. Midnight Flight

Out Status:
    A few people
    "I made a mistake. I can't believe I made that mistake" over and over.
    I have this..phobia.. of getting in trouble and of messing up. Well... I ended up messing up. In my excitement at buying Christmas presents I forgot to buy wrapping paper. My boss, whom I live with, was not particularly thrilled when I asked if I could use hers.
    I can't believe I made that stupid mistake, I just can't.

6. Distant Echo

"I'm lesbian."
    "but you're pushing me away"
    "you're male"
    "I can either be me or hide myself away again"
    "so you would rather I went back to pretending"
    "it's that or push me away"

So. Level of support from co-habiting male? 0.00%

7. LakanLunti

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My 3D professor just messaged me on FB, she said that if after graduation and I am looking for a game designing job just email this particular guy in a game developing company with my resume and portfolio. MY GAWD, it made me teary. Someone still believes in me.

8. Steve FS

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    :thumbsup:

Not surprised, though. You doubt yourself too much, sir.

9. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I got a B in my math class. Considering I thought that I was going to fail it, that is a good thing.

10. thepandaboss

I've been. It's finally that time of year where listening to Christmas music doesn't piss me off.

--

Flying in a matter of hours. Wish me luck. Pretty much going to be flying all day.

11. MetalRice

I was told today that I have to sleep on the couch now and give my sister the bed in my mom's office I had been sleeping in since my brother and his wife moved in and took my room; it's just ugh.

12. AlamoCity

It's Christmas present wrapping time.

13. RawringSnake

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So, a thousand useless posts later... It took me way less to get to this point this time around. I'm not sure how to feel about that.

#733 RawringSnake, Dec 22, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2015
  14. Steve FS

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Congrats, bb

15. thepandaboss

Oh that's gotta be my least favorite time of the holiday. FUCK wrapping things. Honestly.

16. AlamoCity

I find it slightly therapeutic. That said, this year I discovered the joy of Scotch Double Sided Tape.:lol:

17. Hexagon

Wtf? How does a cleaner fill the block with burning plastic smoke at 10 am, leaving us standing in the rain barefoot? What the hell were they doing? And what are their name and address?

18. thepandaboss

God do I fucking hate airport security. I always get pulled aside. Apparently my belt set their metal detector off. Figures. :dry:

19. DougTheBicycle

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Only four hours of work left!

*cries softly into arm*

20. Distant Echo

So strange lol. just been chatting to a woman on a dating site :grin:

Thread Status: