1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Neutral pronouns?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by DemiLiHue, Dec 10, 2015.

1. DemiLiHue

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I just wanted to know: If u use neutral pronouns, how would you react to someone using other neutral pronouns for you? Wanted to know because I use spivak pronouns and I wouldn't care about someone calling me "they" but wanted to know what where you're preferences. Like, what pronouns (beside the one that u use) are acceptable for u? I think I won't mind she, but just because im AFAB.
    Any thoughts?

2. Hexagon

I'm cool with any. I express my preference as "they" because that's what most non-binary people I know use, and that's what people understand.

As for binary pronouns, I don't tend to accept either, but among certain people, I can't summon the energy to explain the existence of non-binary gender, and so they use "he". I'm AFAB, but slightly more comfortable with male ones, and I pass as male unless I'm wearing skirts (and even then).

3. YinYang

I'll tolerate he/she pronouns, but I'd much rather be called they/them. I've taken a liking to ey/em and ze/zir/zim pronouns and they're acceptable, but I like they/them better

4. darkcomesoon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I use he/him and they/them pronouns happily. If someone wanted to use ze/hir pronouns for me, that would be fine (though people usually don't use more complicated neutral pronouns for people who didn't specifically request them), but most of the other neutral pronouns I find confusing and wouldn't want them used for me. I really don't like she/her pronouns used for me.

5. IntrovertedAlex

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm only out to one person, so I just put up with "she" pronouns everyone uses for me. I'd prefer "they" if I were though. Although I didn't like the "ze/hir" pronouns when I first learned of them, I'm starting to take a liking to them. "Ze" would be something I'd like people to use, but I know that'd be a long shot. (._.)

6. Oddsocks

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I would feel weird about anyone using neutral pronouns other than the singular 'they' for me - I feel that things like zi/hir and other such are a very individual thing and I'm not someone who wants them used for me, so I think it would make me uncomfortable if someone used pronouns I hadn't stated I wanted used.

She/her is pretty much what I'm used to, so that's fine. Sometimes it's jarring, but most of the time it just flies by me.

And as for he/him...I've not had that for years! I think I would still be happy to hear it if someone new were to meet me and refer to me that way, if only because of its implications about my appearance. I wouldn't prefer it in general, but it'd be nice to hear those pronouns in my direction again one day.