1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why can't I move on?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Spot, Dec 7, 2015.

1. Spot

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My worst coming out experience happened like in August, I think? I posted about it a while ago in case anyone wants/needs more information: http://emptyclosets.com/forum/gender-identity-expression/195871-worst-coming-out-experience.html

So basically, I had a bad experience with the guidance counsellor and I still haven't gotten over it. I don't know if I should talk and be all friendly with her or if I should just not speak to her anymore. She said "Hi [birth name]" to me once after it happened and I didn't say anything, I felt sort of bad but I also sort of didn't feel bad. I don't want her to think that I'm okay with what she said but it has been a while since it happened and I don't know if I should be over it by now. It's just that I guess LGBT kids would have come to her for advice before and would've gotten the same treatment and LGBT kids will keep coming to her and will get the same as me and I don't want that to happen, I don't think there's anything that I can really do about that. Actually, I think that that's all that bothers me. I don't know if I think it really matters what happened to me, I think that what really upset me about it was that she thought that was an okay thing to say. I still feel anxious around her and try and avoid her, I think that's especially because she acts so nice to everyone and expects that everyone is straight and cis and girls like feminine things and boys like masculine things, there's no non-binary people and the years of research that prove that being LGBT isn't a choice never existed at all. Why can't I just move on though? I did sort of feel like I had a mental illness after she said all those things and I didn't want to go back to school but it's over now and there's nothing I can do to change what happened. Is there anything I can tell myself or do to feel better about this?

2. baconpox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    After my first bad experience I dwelled on it too. It wasn't quite as bad as yours (can guidance counselors even call people it "it"?), but still. It's normal to be bothered by people not accepting you. She's just ignorant, and that's her problem, not yours. Just remember that there are millions of people who will accept you, and that there's no reason to hate yourself over someone else's problem. And if you have a problem with her saying God doesn't make transgender people there aren't really any bible verses that go against being trans (and if you're Jewish there's TransTorah). There's nothing you can do, so I'd just try not to think about it.

3. Mila

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Hey Spot!

Unfortunately you've come across one of those, rather narrow minded people. It is particularly bad that she's a counsellor. Just try not to think about it too much. It was a bad experience, but it made you stronger! As baconpox said, there will be millions of others who will accept you, treat you well, respect and like you! There is no way of getting rid of ignorant people, but you will learn how not to worry about them or what they say too much! It may be hard, but try to focus on today and tomorrowrather than "yesterday", and try to stay positive! :slight_smile:

Take care,
    Mila