1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Has coming out divided you family?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Driftr, Dec 6, 2015.

1. Jellal

No way to tell yet ... I've only come out to my immediate family.

2. GayPugs

My brother is a major homophobe and transphobe. See, my parents took the tactic: "Never talk about it and just pray they don't come out as gay." And for me, that made me come out as gay (and Genderfluid) but for my brother...that made him majorly homophobic and transphobic. My parents AND my brother DENY IT COMPLETELY when confronted outright but it's pretty obvious. Whenever I talk about liking a girl or thinking girls are cute, he's says I'm creepy and disgusting, he never said that when I pretended to have crushes on guys. Whenever I talk about my gender he just tries to shut-down the conversation as soon as possible. I hate him so much but my parents COMPLETELY ignore it! It's so annoying!

3. rudysteiner

I'm only officially out to my Mum and cousin within my family, and they're 'supportive' in that they don't really give a shit what I do and are happy as long as I'm happy. My sister knows I'm not straight, though. When she found out she called me disgusting, told me that she's ashamed to have me as a brother, and that she doesn't want a gay brother. Bear in mind that we don't live in Russia, we live in England. And she's fourteen. With plenty of gay friends who she happily supports. But not me. I managed to convince her I'm 'straight' and she's backed off, but it's still not very comfortable situation to be in.

I'm sure if I came out to my entire family (which I don't see the need in unless I marry a guy, in which I'll probably just say gay - what I thought I was until recently), I doubt it'd divide us because we're all like our own separate little family 'islands'. We keep to ourselves but stick up for our own when there's conflict and we always know what's going on on the other islands. And it'd be the end of my relationship with my Grandparents, too.

4. ProudOfWhoIAM

I came out to my family at my mums birthday party. They were all so supportive, had a few that didnt like the fact that im attracted to both female and male but i don care.
    I am who i am
    :icon_bigg

5. Kellian

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Sadly yes, at times it feels like it's me against them most of the time I barely can go a day without them looking over my shoulder (one reason I haven't been on lately) or them making some sort of remark of transgendered people or the LGBT+.

6. Eab91

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yes it divided my family. I was in a hetero marriage are I recently came out as a Lesbian. I always felt Bi, but know I have no desire for men. When I came out it obviously divided my marriage. But the family members that know are supportive and some are not. Its difficult to be the cause of the division, but I had to come out and quit living a lie.