1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

People you thought / hoped they were gay... were they?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by AnotherStranger, Dec 4, 2015.

1. AnotherStranger

I see a lot of people around here saying they can see some signs someone could be gay and how can they be sure.

So my question is, if you ever thought a crush of yours could be gay, in the end, were you right??

I had a crush on a girl I thought she might be, she always said beautiful things to me and was very touchy but I never dared to confess my feelings. Once she mentioned she was bisexual but years and years after that I heard her talk about the girlfriend of a lesbian friend of hers and saying the most stupid thing: "why would you have a girlfriend that looks like a man when you could have a man". So I guess she is actually not.

What about yours?

2. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

Usually. Funnily enough, I think gay people attract other gay people. We notice patterns in their behavior that we're familiar with ourselves, and that's how gaydar works.

3. AtheistWorld

AtheistWorld Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    She was bisexual, just not into butches.

There was this guy I knew in middle school who acted really flamboyant, had feminine mannerisms, smiled the way women do, and ogled at me--or so I thought-- and he even talked with pitched voice. The kicker was that he worked in the cafeteria as a student aide and during lunch there were certain guys he would call 'beautiful'; the writing was on the wall that he was gay. Then I saw him at a dance later that year kissing a girl passionately, and he looked overjoyed to be with her. Dumbfounded, I asked someone who knew him, and it just turns out this guy was trolling irl before trolling even was a thing making a mockery out of gay men. I found out he was the star of a cable access channel where he did skits ranging from fishing at the penny fountain in the mall to singing songs about fetuses. He must've been a good actor to dissemble his true motives like that.

Obviously, not all gay guys will be openly gay. Despite the USA being gay friendly, many gay men are closeted and even among the ones who aren't, not all will display those behaviors. The gay market has tried to impose masculinity on gay men and some of them may opt to go with it or else be regarded as 'not men' which happens in a patriarchy. It tries to make them assimilate, make them act like straight men, so you'll likely see fewer exhibiting the behaviors usually associated with gay men. Subtle signs may be if a guy tends to reject a lot of women, or always be single, but that's not a surefire way to know. If you're a guy and you see someone bashing gays, it could mean they're homophobic gay men and there have been a couple of guys I knew who were like that and later came out as gay.

#3 AtheistWorld, Dec 4, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2015
  4. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've certainly had people that I would have liked to be gay that weren't, but as far as people that I actually thought were gay I'd say I'm well into the nineties as far as percent accuracy. Sometimes it takes years to find out, but eventually the truth will out.

5. guitar

One guy I had a serious crush on in highschool wound up being gay and we actually dated a little bit years later

I think like all gay people, there are straight guys I wish were gay. But I go after gay guys I know are gay rather than playing with possibilities.

6. Steve FS

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    A metrosexual that was hot as hell. Turns out he was straighter than a toothpick.

Funny thing: when he learned that I was gay, he pulled me to the side and said quietly, "Do you want to go clothes shopping with me?"

Poor guy, lol!

7. blueshadedsoul

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yes, my first real girl crush actually turned out to be a lesbian. Still really proud of my gaydar for that. lmao. There's other people that I've not exactly "wished", just suspected were gay, but I'm still not sure.

8. NekoAlex

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes. I met a very girly guy, with interests and attitude that are typically feminine. He's into things like fashion, make up, hair extentions, drag, etc. and he gets along better with girls. It turned out, he was straight.

#8 NekoAlex, Dec 4, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2015
  9. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Luke Smith of Sarah Jane Adventures [I thought he liked Sanjay before I found out that that was what R. T. Davis intended]
    Maria Rainer Von-Trapp [possibly gay, 'how to solve a problem...', 'something good']

10. Rydia

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I've had plenty of crushes on straight girls, but so far, the vast majority of people that I have thought were gay (whether I had a crush on them or not) have been. There's a couple that are in straight marriages that I guess I might have missed on, but I'm still not convinced :wink:

Not gonna say anyone has 100% accurate gaydar, but I do think there is something, whether it's mannerisms, behaviour, "gay face" or whatever that people pick up on, because I can point to quite a few former classmates and celebrities and such that I recognized as being gay before I even had much concept of what gay was or started thinking of myself that way. It was more like, years down the road, I'd think about it and be like...ya know I think so and so was gay and then look them up on the Internet and find out I was right.

However, I will say, I think it's easier with people you aren't invested in...i.e. wishful thinking, vs. that just kind of gut instinct you get.