1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

When did you get "the talk?"

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Kodo, Dec 3, 2015.

1. DreamerBoy17

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Found out the "concept" when I was like 9 from a friend. Parents talked about it when I was about time. I think when a kid starts asking you should give age-appropriate responses. Most of what I know comes from the internet, though.

2. MrSkittles

3. CamaroBlack

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I never had the talk I did have a sex ed class when I was in 5th grade but I didn't pay attention at all I learned everything on my own and of course the internet was there if I had a question about anything

4. WhereWeWere

WhereWeWere Guest

I was given the talk about how babies were made, but never how to have safe sex. School never gave us a talk about safe sex- they were always "abstinence only" from what I can remember. It took the internet for me to learn what a condom was...

5. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    As I mentioned before, in my case the early material was all about "when a couple want a child." I had no clue that sex was anything more. I think I was a bit appalled, even, and certainly shocked when I saw an ad in some magazine for a birth control system. I was able to figure out that it stopped pregnancy, but why would anyone want to have sex and stop pregnancy? :lol:

In 9th grade, they actually did a fairly decent job of talking about protection. It was, of course, mostly (fully?) aimed at stopping pregnancy. My health teacher had a special speaker from Planned Parenthood come in. She even passed some of the contraceptives around for us to see. Unlike some gay guys, I can say I definitely have seen up close women's birth control products.

I can't remember if much was said about protection for STDs, though.

6. bubbles123

bubbles123 Guest

I knew what sex was a while ago and my parents, especially my mom kind of avoided the subject. I don't blame her. But yeah, when my dad gave me the talk (I was 15 I believe) it was like this:

Dad: So, uh, you know what sex is right?
    Me: Yeah, dad.
    Dad: You know about condoms and birth control and all that?
    Me: Yeah, dad.
    Dad: Okay good, because I'm not really comfortable talking about it either:slight_smile: Your mom was supposed to do that.

I guess he did it because a young girl at his work called her mother on April fool's day saying she was pregnant and her mom freaked out. So then my dad panicked and realized wait, what if this happens to us for real? Does she even know what sex is?

So I thought it was kind of funny.

7. thepandaboss

My mom sat me down when I was 11, knew that a penis in a vagina was involved, but I didn't learn about stuff like semen, hormones, or ovulation until I did my own research. My sex-Ed in school (I was in public school until my freshmen year of high school) was very basic too. Mostly talk about puberty, STDs, and why the only good way to go was to be abstinent (because "condoms always fail"). Worth noting my school district had pretty high rates of STDs and teen pregnancy.

8. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The extent of the "talk" was "we don't give a shit what you do just use a condom."

So not much of a talk.

9. Oddsocks

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well, my mum went over a copy of The Body Book with me when I was pretty small (perhaps 5 or 6?), which covered the basics of puberty and how babies get made, etc etc.

I noticed she'd left a copy of some sex ed book or another in my room when I was about 9, which I took it upon myself to read. I didn't get a face-to-face Sex Talk from her until a couple of years later, at which point my reaction was kind of like, "Okay, but yes, I do know that the thing has to go in the place to make a baby. You kind of went over this part when I was 5?"

Kind of bafflingly, she pulled me out of Year 8 sex ed. To this day, I can't fathom why.

It's not like I didn't fill in the holes in my knowledge via the internet anyway, so if she was trying to protect my innocence she failed terribly at that! (Especially because I used to secretly snag books from her bookshelf and was reading things containing explicit sex scenes at age 10, haha.)

10. DinelodiiGitli

I didn't get 'the talk' ever.
    My Mother took a book on puberty and tossed it at me with a brief 'read it' when I was about 11.

That was the extent of my sex ed aside from studying biology online....
    and my doctor looking very awkward while calmly saying 'so, you know about pregnancy and such right?'.

11. Mental

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I did receive a "talk" in my guidance class in middle school, but it's not like I didn't know all of the stuff already. Nowadays, the talk isn't really neccesary unless the kid is very sheltered.

12. Rydia

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Never had the sex talk. My parents didn't really regulate what books I read or what movies or TV I watched, so I guess I pieced bits and pieces together from media, along with what my friends told me, health class and personal experience.

As far as best place and time....depends on the kid I reckon. Personally, I think the earlier the better, as long as they are old enough to actually comprehend what you are telling them, but before they get old enough to be completely mortified by the idea and avoid the discussion out of embarrassment.

13. Skaros

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I watched some inappropriate TV growing up so I would always ask my parents questions that I saw on TV. They'd always wonder where I would get these kinds of concepts from and why I wanted to know. I never had a single talk. It was mostly just several talks over time.

My parents did show me about condoms one time by blowing it up as a balloon and letting me play with it. I was still learning, so I didn't realize just how weird that was.

14. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I actually had ventured to "figure out" what all this sex business was about... Via the internet. Little twelve year old me thought no one would notice when he googled "sex pictures" lol.

Needless to say they found the search history (this is also when I learned about search history and afterward, incognito mode). I was horridly embarrassed and I think I cried in shame the whole time my mum explained it to me. So I did have the "sex talk." In my family though it's a taboo subject, so they probably don't know how jaded I am nowadays...

15. Moonhammer

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Must have been around 12 when we had sex ed at school.
    Didn't really pay much attention to it, kinda amazed me that people did that, you know.
    filling condoms up with water and throwing them was pretty fun tho.

16. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I learned about sex from medical textbooks my mom had left over from her college days. Not a bad way to get accurate information, right?

My parents never had the talk with me. My mom tried to yell at me when she figured out that I'd learned to masturbate, but other than that, nothing.

17. AKTodd

I don't recall ever having a formal talk, but there must have been something because when we had sex Ed in junior high and again in HS, I learned virtually nothing new.

When I was quite young, my half sister got a book called Show Me that laid everything out using photos of nude models. It was apparently quite controversial in some quarters, but we both read it (in front of our parents and not) and I'm guessing that covered a lot of our education.

Todd

18. AnotherStranger

never got it no wonder Im confused like hell now

19. Rydia

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    "Never" seems like a pretty popular answer. I'm beginning to wonder if "the Talk" is something that only happens on TV lol

20. NekoAlex

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My grandma told me what sex is when I was 13. Before that I was trying to figure it out myself, because it was being mentioned a lot in movies I watched and by other kids. So, I tried to figure it out from what I see on TV and I came to the conclusion that it was something which involves getting naked, cuddling and kissing each other and that was it. I never saw anybody showing their genitals in movies or doing anything with them, so I didn't know. My classmates made fun of me for not knowing a lot of stuff, because they knew it and my parents were conservative and dind't talk about things like this to me. Actually, my mum asked me if I know what sex is when I was like 15. Also, I didn't have Internet before I was 15 unlike the other kids my age.

#40 NekoAlex, Dec 4, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2015