1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ever Caught A Theif?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by BookWriter1994, Dec 2, 2015.

1. BookWriter1994

Well have you?

I caught a couple of people(Not at the same time of course) trying to pay for things using fake money. And actually, I did in fact caught one last night when I was working. It was awful and it makes me so mad because it is almost Christmas and people like him trying to do things like that.

I work as a cashier at a home improvement store so it's pretty common here and that's pretty bad.

Have you guys ever caught a thief?

2. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I once noticed a kid switching a more expensive pair of tennis shoes into a box marked for a cheaper pair before he headed to the register. I have no idea if he got caught or not.

3. ThatBorussenGuy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I once caught someone trying to pickpocket me in biology; leaned over his desk with his fingers two inches from my pocket.

I turned around and punched him out of his chair.

4. Xochipilli

I caught a classmate stealing classroom supplies. I emailed our teacher and told her.
    Such a snitch move. :lol:

5. WhereWeWere

WhereWeWere Guest

My mom has, but I haven't. We were walking our dog when this kid on a bike pulls up to our neighbors' open garage door. I didn't think much of it because we live in a low-crime area. He had a backpack on and I thought he was a pizza delivery boy from the video/pizza store nearby. My mom did have suspicions, though. We continued walking the dog, and she kept glaring at the kid who was trying to cross the busy road we were nearby. I even said, "Must suck, being a pizza delivery boy on a bike." I literally had no idea.

We went back and she called my neighbors. We came to their door and my neighbor checked her fridge, and she realized the alcohol was gone. So we called the police station and told them about the situation. They caught him, and the police officer brought the boy to his mom's house. He told us she gave him quite the scolding. But he still had to bring him to the station after that, for theft.

That was a few months ago. Nothing like that ever happened again.

6. Spartan 117

Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have caught people try to pickpocket my friends - unfortunately I couldn't prove 100% they were thieves because I've interrupted it! I've saw people stand too close to my friend, and they later find their purse was undone etc. Fortunately I'd given the pickpocket the death stare at this point and scared them off before money was taken! :lol:

7. DreamerBoy17

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've caught all of my siblings eating my Halloween candy. :dry:

8. Reby

Reby Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Family only
    Yes, several times. While I was in college I worked in loss prevention at Best Buy. Some people are pretty smart about it, then others make it so blatantly obvious by trying to sneak things out under their jackets. Once when I was a cashier at the same store I was actually robbed. They had hit two other stores before the one I worked at, then they hit up our store and got away, then they were caught at the next Best Buy they tried to rob since the stores in the nearby area were alerted to the description of the two men and what they had been doing.

9. Ashley2103

No, but I've overheard one who was talking about how he steals phones, wipes memory, and then he tried selling it to the person he was talking to.

#9 Ashley2103, Dec 2, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2015
  10. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Never caught a thief in the act, but I was a cop when an a loss-prevention agent at a store pointed some out to my trainer and me. They were leaving the store and we waited for them right outside, basically going "hey, ladies." (They were a mother and daughter.) We walked them right back in and found a bunch of stolen jewelry in their purses. Sort of sad to get her teenage daughter wrapped up in scumbag behavior like that >.< I hope they're both better off now.

11. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've caught a few at my retail job before. It really surprises me the length that some people go to to try to steal things without getting caught.

12. TigerInATophat

Out Status:
    Some people
    I used to catch them all the time. Our 3 furry pointy-eared people in my home growing up would frequently swipe whatever they could get their paws on, or even engage in teamwork in planning The Great Dinner Robbery. Unfortunately, catching them in the act rarely meant I was able to stop them sprinting off out of the room with a mouthful of my roast chicken :lol:

My current neighbour is known to loudly boast about her thieving exploits (including from neighbours) accompanied by such flippant remarks as: "I don't think the Old Bill (police) would have minded. They would probably have laughed!" - Because you know, nothing makes law enforcement officials kindly giggle and send you on your way like committing a crime, apparently.

#12 TigerInATophat, Dec 2, 2015
  13. kyfry

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Not a thief but I caught someone using illegal documentation. Since I work for a government agency we get trained on fraudulent documents quite frequently. The gentleman was trying to get an ID made so I collected his documents and began to process. I then noticed his birth certificate read that he was born in Laredo Texas (a city that shares the border with Mexico) but the birth certificate also read Harris County Texas (Im pretty good at my US geography). Knowing that Harris County was located around Houston which is not near Laredo or the Mexican Border, I could tell that this was fake. We had to contact our investigator and the police and act like we were still processing the transaction to make him think we were going to issue it to him. The police arrested him. Not sure what happened after that.

14. BobObob

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I used to work at an office supply store, and I only had a few clear times of someone stealing something by sneaking something out of the store (if it's not clear that they have something, there's nothing I can do per company policy). However, since it was a small store, the cashiers have to do all the work that customer service might do at a larger store (such as returns, exchanges and gift card purchases). I got a lot of people trying to commit fraud by buying gift cards with fake credit cards or making questionable returns and exchanges.

There was one time in which I was the only cashier near closing (which means I'm the only employee within ~50 feet of the entrance). While I was ringing up a customer, the RFID security device (one of these things went off as a customer left the store in a hurry). I stuck my head out and yelled at the thief, but because:

1) There's not much I can do without getting in trouble (company policy is not to chase someone, and a certainly not to tackle or physically restrain someone)
    2) I already had a customer at my register
    3) The store manager manager was running up to confront him
    4) leaving the registers unattended is a security risk in itself (sometimes thieves work in groups)
    5) I had only a few seconds to decide what to do

I let the manager deal with it while I went back to the customer at the register.

When my manager shouted "Call 911" as a bluff (it's not like the police can get there in the 15 seconds it takes to get in the car and leave the parking lot), he dropped a $300 router in a panic when running to his car.

I'm sure there were many people who shoplifted without me noticing. I don't have X-ray vision to see into the pockets of customers, I can't see the entire store from the front (which is where I was usually assigned to work), and I'm not going to do anything unless I have conclusive evidence they have merchandise that they haven't paid for. However, our store had about 0.5-1% shrinkage each quarter. Some of that may be the cashiers accidentally under ringing or inventory counting errors, but most of it was theft or fraud.

#14 BobObob, Dec 2, 2015