1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

To all students :)

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by potofsoup, Dec 2, 2015.

1. potofsoup

potofsoup Guest

Dear all,

I am a student and two things I have noticed is that:

1) I can't study for more than 10 to 15 mins at 1 go. I have to take a break and study again.

2)If I studied a lesson this week and not touch it again, I'll forget the lesson after 2 weeks.

Is it common for students? Sometimes, I wonder if it only happens to me.

Share with me about your study experiences. Do you face the 2 problems which I have mentioned?

2. DougTheBicycle

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The first problem is very common. I'd recommend a couple of things that might help. First, try turning off your phone. Sometimes just getting rid of a distraction is enough. Secondly, try listening to some relaxing sounds. Not music, just like, ambient background noise. I know what works for me is just the sound of a rainstorm. Lastly, something that is recommended by a lot of psychologists is to study for 50 minutes, then take a ten minute break. In that ten minutes, don't go on the internet or watch a video or send a text. Instead, get up and take a small walk. If there's a way for you to look at nature in some way (a plant in the house, trees outside) do that. It's been scientifically proven to refresh our brains and help us calm down.

As for the second, it's not uncommon in school to forget material. When you're assigned a bunch of things to learn in multiple subjects, it's bound to happen.

Hope this helped!

3. robclem21

If I took a break every 15 minutes I would never get anything done. I still need breaks while I study but it is generally every 2-3 hours followed by a 15-20 minute break.

The second one is a problem as well, which is why it is important to review notes more than once and not wait 2 weeks before you review again. The more you review, the longer you will remember the information. Try to review every few days.

4. denouement

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Both of these things are common, I do them since I am really good at procrastinating lol. I can't study all in one go either, and I don't think it's good to do since your mind will get tired from working so hard! So in between studies I usually take a break and do something fun. Even just going to get a drink or snack can be enough of a break to let me re-focus.

There are some exceptions, such as essays, I get in a "writing zone" and have to slam the rough draft out in one go. If I get interrupted I'd lose focus and have to spend time trying to get back into that zone. This is also why I do all the formatting first, and then wait to properly cite things until the very end... even that is enough distraction to make me lose focus on the essay itself.

As far as forgetting things, that's why I take notes! That way I don't have to remember, when it comes time to study for the test I'll simply review what I wrote and possibly look over any reading or textbooks that go with the material.

5. Steve FS

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Don't study long - study often. I recommend start studying for an exam right away and spend maybe an 30 minutes - 1 hour a day going over things, instead of cramming or spending 5-6 hours studying for things. It'll feel a lot more natural and by the time your exam comes, you would have already learned a lot, AND this knowledge will stick with you for quite a while. You will probably have to "cram" the last 3-4 days of lecture, vs. a quarter's worth.

Your brain needs repetition and some time to build synapses so that it's easier to remember (according to my instructors, anyway).

6. KoffeeMonster

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Try making a schedule of studying. Study for 5-10 minutes, then take a break and give yourself time to let it soak in and let your brain refresh for a bit before continuing on. I usually wait a good 15-20 minutes - anything double that. However, I'd suggest getting at least two hours of studying - whether its the same material or a variety of subjects.

Try making small notes to look at that would help you remember something if you feel like you forget what you learned. Even if you draw something that would help you remember the basics, like a small doodle.

These are a few methods I use when I get into the same situation - I hope it helped to some degree!

7. RainDreamer

1. Optimal work time is 45 mins and 15 mins break between. If you find yourself distracted by the 10-15 mins mark though, you are like me. But when I have my back to the wall with deadlines one day away, I find it useful to remove distraction and remind myself : "If I work on this for 45 mins, I get to play for 15 mins!" It helps with motivation. I does need to work on trying to avoid forcing myself into situations where I have deadlines so close though...

2. Of course you would forget if you never uses it. That is why a good course/program forces you to use old knowledge again and again until it burns to your mind. After a few years of university/college, as long as you are going to class and doing work, you will remember something useful. Try to incorporate what you learn into your life. As a media student, watching TV is a learning opportunity for me, as I can analyse advertisers' tactics, their key messages, what target they are aiming at for certain products, etc. Turn your knowledge into usable skills. It also helps with finding a job later.

8. RainDreamer

1. Optimal work time is 45 mins and 15 mins break between. If you find yourself distracted by the 10-15 mins mark though, you are like me. But when I have my back to the wall with deadlines one day away, I find it useful to remove distraction and remind myself : "If I work on this for 45 mins, I get to play for 15 mins!" It helps with motivation. I does need to work on trying to avoid forcing myself into situations where I have deadlines so close though...

2. Of course you would forget if you never uses it. That is why a good course/program forces you to use old knowledge again and again until it burns to your mind. After a few years of university/college, as long as you are going to class and doing work, you will remember something useful. Try to incorporate what you learn into your life. As a media student, watching TV is a learning opportunity for me, as I can analyse advertisers' tactics, their key messages, what target they are aiming at for certain products, etc. Turn your knowledge into usable skills. It also helps with finding a job later.

9. Reciprocal

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't have this, although I know it's pretty common. I'm on the other end of the scale: I work for ages and ages and don't realise where the time has gone and one Sunday when I was studying I forgot to have lunch. I'm a workaholic :slight_smile:. I think it's because now I have chosen my GCSEs I like and am fascinated by all the lessons I do other than PE, but we don't have to study that. But yeah, I know quite a few people who do have to keep having breaks.

If I'm really interested by a topic I remember every little detail instantly, but if not, I forget stuff just like you. And the stuff I do remember tends to be the useless rubbish.

10. Tbob

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    If you struggle to study for long periods, look up the Pomodoro Technique. It might suit you. I have also found that if I'm struggling to concentrate on one task I will switch to another, even if it's not ideally what I want to be doing, just to remain productive. I can then return to the original task once I feel better.

11. Falklands Sheep

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    To me it really depends on what I'm studying. If it's a subject I like, I can go hours studying it nonstop. It happens to me a lot with history, for example. Now, give me a text on neo-marxist theory and I can't focus at all.

As for my lessons, it all depends on how interesting it was, and how well can the professor teach. Some subjects in my university have wonderful professors and lecturers, and I often find myself remembering their lessons from last year. But, of course, there are also those classes that I couldn't give a rat's arse about, and thus I end up forgetting them within the week.

12. MrSkittles

That perfectly describes me

13. potofsoup

potofsoup Guest

Thanks for your replies guys :slight_smile:

14. Magenta Mucus

I don't know how to study. I never studied for anything because I have good memory, and I have quite good grades too (A-/B average, including my bad subjects, which I am all leaving behind this year.)

I might have to start studying sometime.

15. ForNarnia

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I'm exactly the same :slight_smile: