1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I wait a little bit before coming out?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by FootballFan101, Dec 1, 2015.

1. FootballFan101

I only just cam to terms with being trans and I'm pretty sure my friends are transphobic. I dont know what my family thinks of transgender people either

2. OnceUponADream

Out Status:
    A few people
    If you think that coming out might put you at risk I would definitely advise you to wait. If your unsure of how people in your life will react, I would take some time and try and observe their reactions to trans people in the media. Coming out is an incredibly personal and complex thing. There is nothing wrong with taking your time and figuring your life out. Maybe you could find one person in your life that you trust and tell just them.

I think a good idea is to write a pro and con list (yes I know you've probably heard it a thousand times). I think it really helps to work through all the issues you might have to deal with once you come out. Try and get yourself into the right state of mind. I know that after I realized I was gay it took me a long time (still working on it) to work through some toxic feelings I had going on inside me. I would try to really practice some introspection and deal with any negative feelings you may have before coming out. Because, once you do come out it can be even more difficult if you still have some lingering feelings of shame, guilt, or any other negative feeling about your identity.

Most importantly, you need to check in with yourself and make sure that your ready. I wish you all the luck, and I hope that when you come out it goes well.

#2 OnceUponADream, Dec 1, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2015
  3. YermanTom

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There are some good support's available to you. The south's health board have a great website that can give you link's that will help you. Spunout.ie
    Also check out an organization called Teni ! (Dublin based)
    I know a few guys from Ulster,they tell me that there is some good support organisations in Belfast!
    (*hug*)

4. tgOlivia

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Family only
    Well, since it is such a big deal I recommend making sure you really are positive that you are trans, and not just annoyed with gender roles or something. I know people who have come out as trans and regretted it; they really should have just came out as feminists and said "Screw gender roles!"

That said, based on your description of dysphoria on other boards I'm going to assume you're pretty sure. It certainly sounds like it. My recommendation is wait as little as possible IF AND ONLY IF you are sure you'll be safe.

If you think there is any chance that you'll be disowned by your parents, or if you think the transphobia at your school is so bad that you could be physically beaten (as opposed to just bullied, which is pretty much a guarantee) then yes, wait. Wait until you are safe.

If you are confident that you are safe though. I highly recommend coming out as soon as possible. The longer you wait the harder it is going to be, because waiting one year just means everyone has had one more year to reinforce that you are male. Im coming out now, and really regret not doing years ago when I first realized it for myself. You re planning to come out eventually, and as long as your safe now is as good a time as any.

Also, you don't list your age, but I'm assuming you're high school age at the oldest, and if you can get on hormones early your transition will be so much easier and more successful so that's just another reason not to wait.

Remember though. Make sure you'll be safe. Losing friends and having unsupportive parents sucks, but it is a worthy sacrifice for your coming out, in my opinion. Being disowned, beaten up, or killed on the other hand is not a worthy sacrifice.

5. AlexLee

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Get to know yourself a little more, get comfortable in your new 'skin' and learn to love you again first. Than I would come out. When I came to terms with being Trans I only came out to two people at first, and no one else until I was comfortable being the new me. I have now came out to everyone and I'm glad I waited because now I can back myself and my desiciouns 100 % without any doubt.

6. FootballFan101