1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Homophobic boxer contendor for Sports Personality of the Year

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by 741852963, Dec 1, 2015.

1. 741852963

Summary: British boxer Tyson Fury is up to win the BBC award which is meant to celebrate the best in sport. He has made horrid homophobic comments, as well as homophobically bullying competitors over the years.

https://www.pinknews.co.uk/2015/12/...nated-for-bbc-sports-personality-of-the-year/

Just as a bit of a introduction to any non-British readers (as it probably explains a lot), Tyson comes from an "Irish Traveller" background. These gypsies are pretty controversial in the UK, as they actually gain equal protection in law to other minority groups such as LGBT people, disabled and black people due to their "ethnic" minority status, and are afforded certain privileges by the state as a result (i.e. dedicated housing sites). They are frequently very Catholic, very homophobic, and are well known for bare knuckle fighting (illegal in the UK), setting up camps in public spaces, and unusual courting traditions (including young marriage to first cousins). In summary, a very different culture and one that tends to clash a lot.

Anyway, Tyson Fury has compared homosexuality and abortion to pedophilia, and states the legalisation of homosexuality is evidence the "devil is coming". He has also attacked competitors routinely branding them as gay in an attempt to discredit them. His Dad is a charmer too.

Wouldn't be so bad if he had apologised, but he shows no sign of that:

So homophobic beliefs are the realities of life! A Change petition has been set up to ask the BBC to reconsider their selection:

https://www.change.org/p/bbc-the-bb...utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=copylink

2. Kira

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Signed. He's not a good role model for the youth if he can't grow up himself.

Might as well be giving Chuck Norris the "Cuddliest teddy bear Award"

3. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    You do realize that calling a traveler the G word is considered offensive.

I don't get why you want acceptance from people you can't accept, just because they're ''different''.

4. 741852963

Obviously apologies for any offence caused, it was my understanding that travellers were a subgroup of gypsies, many councils do use the terms interchangeably but that appears to be controversial.

They do have a very different culture, and I think that does goes a long way to explain (but not excuse) this man's beliefs in that they live in very tight knit communities (with less interaction with wider society) and are heavily religious.

There is the very traditional and exaggerated macho "men must be men" cultural thing within the community which again clashes with many of our modern norms and does go to fuel this homophobia.

With Tyson, I do think as he is in a very public sphere he does have to be aware of this, and the effect he can have. That is not to say he has to become a "yes-man" as he puts it, or an LGBT advocate, but he does need to be careful.

5. LesbianThrasher

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I think this whole petition thing is bogus. It's just a sports award for God's sake, what's the big deal?

6. GeeLee

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Even if the BBC keep him in he's not going to win. Purely because Andy Murray, who is beloved by all and will be knighted soon, is in the running too.

7. Origamidragons

Out Status:
    Not out at all
  8. CameOutSwinging

As a proud member of a boxing gym here in NYC and an aspiring amateur boxer, it really disappoints me that Fury has these opinions and is so outspoken about it. This is what fuels the belief that boxing is largely a homophobic sport. I'll say, the gym I train at is very accepting of all types of people regardless of sexuality. Everybody is made to feel like they can just be themselves.

9. 741852963

Its quite a prestigious award, and whilst yes it is ultimately it is down to the sports, traditionally its been seen as awarding the "whole package" and about inspirational sporting role-models for people in Britain.

This week he says he does sees himself as a role model for young boys, as they can "see what a real man looks like". He also said women belong in the kitchen or on their back (i.e. only good for housework and sex), and even (in front of his wife no less) says there is nothing wrong with expecting women to cook and clean.

Sports is a problematic area for gay men, minorities and women, and there are now drives to tackle homophobia/sexism (for e.g. the Kick Homophobia out of Football campaigns). What Tyson is doing is not just being homophobic, but also reinforcing the idea that gay athletes don't belong in sport.

Now seeing interviews of him talk/his mannerisms it appears he may have some developmental, social or IQ problems. For example his belief that an article on pedophiles hijacking the gay rights movement in the 70s was infallible evidence that pedophiles and gay people are one and the same, or him being gullible to believe in a mythical piece of legislation. It shows a basic lack of comprehension or ability to analyse sources/inbound information. But still, that is not an excuse for his behaviour, and he should learn how his words have effects and keep his mouth closed in future.

And no, I don't buy his "I have gay friends and I don't judge them" BS. How can you have gay friends, then equate homosexuality with pedophilia (whom he states he would lock in a room and smash to pieces with hammers). Some friendship.

I think you are right, boxing has a very bad public image problem which is largely unfounded, but boxers like Tyson are really doing a disservice to the sport.

#9 741852963, Dec 6, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2015