1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Started my new job, now I want to quit

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by MrSecret, Dec 1, 2015.

1. Hexagon

And how do you propose to deal with the strains of a job when you actually need one, and have to work 40 hours instead of 6?

2. It's selfish to quit if you want to quit even though you work six hours a WEEK. Eventually, you'll work more than that in a day, and you'll need to deal with it.

With every job, you'll have at least something you'll despise about it. In this case, the large crowds. However, I believe that this job will help you learn how to deal with the large crowds of people. As an introvert myself, I believe that crowds will always be unavoidable, and they will have to be put up with.

As Chip said, having multiple jobs that don't last long doesn't make your resume look pretty. Employers, especially at large companies, want a job candidate that shows that he/she could keep a job for a long period of time. Basically, they don't want someone that has commitment issues.

It's really up to you about how long you want to stay, but I personally think you should stay for at least a year.

#22 anthonythegamer, Dec 7, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 7, 2015
  3. Lin1

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

I don't mean to be rude but I think you are being quite precious and slightly ridiculous here.

It's a 6 hours a week job. How much ''alone time'' do you need in a week ? What are you doing during the 162 hours left that you have in a week that is so stressful that adding a 6 hours job to it would make you ''explode'' ?

I think you came into that job expecting the job to fit around you and your needs and not the opposite, it's not how it works. If you have NO work experience and no diplomas you probably won't have a fun, fantastic job that you'll love and even if you work in your career field you'll probably start at the bottom of the ladder and even at the top still will have to do stuff that you do not want to do or that you will consider boring. No job will give you time off to listen to music to fit your need for alone time and you probably will spend most of your life doing stuff you don't want to do because that's life.

I find my current job boring. There is some perks to it but most of the time I am just craving for 9pm to come so I can go home and relax. It's good money I am not going to lie but I could survive without it, a part of me wants to quit but a bigger part of me wants to get the experience and accept the fact that life won't always be about doing what I want the way I want to do it and that this is a great way to work on it.

You have the luxury to quit so you can if you want to but what does it says about you, quitting after a few days for the ridiculous reasons you have stated ?
    I am more concern about the long-term. I don't know how old you are but soon enough you will need a job, and you won't have the luxury to pick ( and trust me quitting on your first job after a few days won't look good on your resume and will potentially make employer more wary to employ you so you may want to consider that) and you will probably have to work more than 6 hours a week, potentially doing even more boring stuff and what will you do then ? Quit ? Go by without eating or paying your bills, ask your relatives for money ?
    As I said I don't know how old you are but I think we are never young enough to learn the value of money. If you are currently in a situation were you can afford not to get a job it's most likely because your parents are waking up every freaking morning (and have been doing so for at least the past whatever year you've been alive for) to get food on the table, bills paid and clothes on your back. They may not even like their job, they may find it boring and may well want to quit and retire but they can't because they still have to provide for themselves and their family. Think that if your parents thought even remotely like you have been thinking about that job you probably would be in a very precarious situation. Even if you can afford NOT to work, you should want to, you should want to be independent financially, you should want to be able to pay for your own things with your money that you spent time and effort earning because that's when you appreciate most.

I am sorry if I was mean, rude or anything as not my intention but I just find today's youth mindset towards work slightly appalling and highly irritating (and I am young myself.)

4. Rydia

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Unless you're a trust fund baby or plan on winning the lottery or something, at some point, you're going to have to come out of your comfort zone and learn to deal with the world. I'm an introvert as well and I've never enjoyed dealing with customers all that much, but I've done it at some level in almost every job I've had.

It gets easier the more you do it, but you have to be willing to at least try.

5. Cedar

As others have said, six hours a week is nothing. Quitting just because you're not "comfortable" with the job is a weak excuse. These are issues that you could have easily solved if you only talked more with your manager. Sabotaging your own future will get you nothing. Imagine your future employer asking your past employer why you quit, "not putting in the proper effort for the job" will only make you look worse. Life isn't easy and almost nothing comes the way we hope it would, you need to find your way around them and keep moving on with your life. It really does sound more like you haven't worked on the issues that are sabotaging your life yet and maybe looking for a job right now really wasn't the best idea. Getting a job needs to be something that you want and are willing to work for, not something to get on the behalf of someone else.

Might I just say, SIX HOURS a WEEK is nothing in the grand scheme of things. You'll still have plenty of time to do what you want, you just need to work it around your work schedule and anytime it takes to transit to your job with perhaps some extra time in case you live somewhere with heavy traffic(if you're driving or taking the bus). The last job I had was around 5 hours a day(still not very much) and was typically first thing in the morning(though I did have some overtime and they did ask me sometimes to stay a few more extra hours to cover for someone else). Stress gets to me as well and if I'm not comfortable in my work, I do it poorly if at all. I still have issues with shutting everything out but I must say I'm way better at managing it than a few years ago. When I first worked at this place, I was a cashier, but by the time I quit I was working in receiving, at the till, putting things on the shelf(or in produce) and sometimes as the janitor. Those jobs were earned when I did what they asked of me in an efficient manner in a matter of weeks. What I'm trying to say is, if you do your job efficiently, you're bound to get the attention of the manager as a good and capable worker, ready to be trusted with completing whatever work they throw at you. It's not easy but it's worth it. If you work out whatever issues you have before getting your next job, you're bound to have an easier time with it, you just need to get rid of that luggage that is keeping you down, you know?

I seriously doubt this is just a case of "I hate my job, so I quit" type of thing. You're only going to continue sabotage yourself if the issued work they give you doesn't fit your complete list of specific qualifications. Not every job given to you will give you what you want and you need to be prepared for that. Disappointment is simply another part of life. The place you're working at doesn't let you listen to music? Deal with it. Your job doesn't give you any "alone time"? Deal with it. Finding ways around said obstacles will be healthier for you than just shutting down and not doing anything about it. That doesn't help things, I know it can be hard for you but you really need to deal with whatever issues you have before jumping into another job(or applying for one, for that matter). It isn't going to be easy for you but I know you can work it out.

6. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    OK, a few things come to mind:

1. It sounds like the problem extends beyond the workplace, and involves social anxiety and interacting with people in general. This strikes me as something that a competent therapist would be very helpful in working though. After all, we all have to make a living somehow, no matter how introverted, shy or wrought by nerves we may find ourselves. I'm no fan of putting in long days myself, in this case 9 hours a day, with 4 hours of commuting by a combination of train, bus and walking...though I've come to find ways to make it tolerable enough to go on. Knowing it's not permanent is one part of that, but another is trying to look at things in perspective, and noting that life could be a lot worse. After all, I', not working in a foul, Chinese plastics plant, inhaling toxic fumes while I assemble Mac products for an overseas elite; I'm not in a war-torn zone like Syria, fending for my life; I have my health.

So maybe part of this is learning how to challenge your beliefs of what a job should be like, and 'de-awfulizing' things, as cognitive psychology might phrase it. If you don't like the people aspect, focus on the fruit; after all, there's something pleasant about fruits and vegetables if one is an introvert; they aren't prone to talking, or asking questions :slight_smile:

2. Maybe a job where you're more alone would be better. Take a look, and see what else you might do. Maybe a bookstore, or even a local library, doing something as simple as shelving books? I mention this, as, working in a University library, the student staff who do most of the re-shelving are allowed to wear headphones while they work.

Hope this helps,

~H. Pup

7. MrSecret

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'm not sure people understood, I meant six hours a day (Some up to eight) 30 hours a week.

Also, I knew I was gonna get flak anyway, but I just want to point some things out.

This was for the experience only. I wasn't here looking for money. If I was, it most definitely would have been something I knew how to do.

All my career choices I can do mostly by myself (Writing, Screenwriting, film, photography)

I don't plan on trying to get some high end office job or anything. I want to write, produce, and direct TV shows or write some novels. So having my resume say "worked at a grocery store" isn't going to bother a potential film director or agent. I DO have a resume for what I actually like though, I've taken multiple photography classes, a film class, a screenwriting class, and I have some WIP novels. I also took a photography trip to Turkey by myself and I plan on doing some more film/photography classes next summer.

Basically, the only reason I took this job was because I wanted retail experience. I'm not stupid, I wouldn't take this job if I actually wanted the money and was thinking it would be long-term.

Yeah I may sound selfish or cowardly, but I guess the people here don't really understand where I'm coming from. And TBH all these "You'll be shocked when you enter the real world" posts just make me want to quit more. Sorry I'm not a puppet on the string of society, no one controls me except me. I have my own wings and I go where I want to go. I'm not some dumb bird who lands in a tree and stays there even if the conditions aren't good. I'll keep flying until I find someplace I like. Yeah I may have some ups and downs, but to me, THAT'S the real world. You never know what life brings unless you take the chance, and no matter what happens, at least I can say I actually tried.

#27 MrSecret, Dec 7, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2015
  8. RawringSnake

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Please, quit. Someone that actually needs the position and it's willing to give it their very best instead of their bare minimum could use the job.

9. MrSecret

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    ^^^ This.

10. BobObob

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Most employers still want to know about your complete work history, and working at a place really briefly may still be a red flag that you may have to explain away. One of the things that you complained about is your lack of training for your job, which is typical. Well, an employer probably doesn't want to spend a disproportionate amount of time supervising you for your first job in that industry, plus the time spent during the hiring/orientation/training (if any) process, if you aren't going to be sticking around very long. An employer may, when finding out that you quit after a few weeks at this grocery store, wonder if you'll do the same thing to him/her if he/she hires you.

So even though the job you intend to work in the long run may be a very different one than working at a grocery store, how you go about this one could still affect jobs you get in the future.

Given that you seem set upon quitting right away instead of at least sticking it out for a little bit, you should be ready to explain your short employment with this employer to any future employer in a way that doesn't make you look bad.

It's fine not to work jobs that you hate working at. But the way to avoid doing work that you hate is to decide before accepting a job whether or not you'd probably hate the work (although you may have to pick your poison for economic reasons if options are limited). Aside from having some level of understanding of the job from the job description, the job interview (if there is one) is also an opportunity for you to find out more about the job. It's not just them interviewing you to determine if they want you, it's also you interviewing to know more about the job to know if you want it.

In the future, it's probably best to make sure you and your potential employer are both on the same page about what the job expectations are, and to be careful not to take a job unless you're willing to work there at least 6 months (or however long the acceptable minimum length for that job is).

#30 BobObob, Dec 7, 2015
  11. MrSecret

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay

#31 MrSecret, Dec 7, 2015
  12. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    OK, well, not to burst your bubble... but all of those are basically "brass ring" jobs, meaning, they are all jobs, simliar to acting, that a lot of people would like to make their living at doing, but very few people are actually successful in doing so. Additionally, most of those jobs require interaction with clients and a lot of "selling yourself." Particularly things like screenwriting, writing, producing, and directing... if you have the idea that you're going to be a prima donna and demand people treat you the way you seem to want to be treated... you've really got a pretty rude awakening in store.

OK, this makes no sense. You said above that none of the career areas you're interested in have anything to do with working with others (which, btw, isn't true), so what's the purpose of taking a job in retail, then?

I have to say that the above is among the most arrogant, entitled comments I've ever seen someone post on the topic of careers. I know that comes across as harsh but... the world doesn't revolve around you, and I suspect that, unless you're a trust fund kid or otherwise independently wealthy... when somebody else is no longer paying your way, you're going to get a pretty big shock. If your parents haven't prepared you for this (and clearly it does not seem like they have)... you're going to be in for a pretty rude awakening. But I don't think anything anyone is telling you is going to make a difference, so I suspect it's something you'll just have to learn for yourself.

13. Hexagon

I think it's fairly clear at this point you aren't going to listen to us. But sadly, I think you'll find out some day, and will be worse off from having quit this job. Because no matter how talented or hard-working you are, you're not likely to turn up some wonderful, high-paying fun job that people would kill to have, and no more deserving of it that anyone else is.

And:
    Well, you haven't really, have you?

14. BobObob

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Take it as a learning experience. Also do research about the job and the company (going to glassdoor.com, googling around about the job, etc.).

I recommend keeping in mind what Chip has said above about the jobs you want being "brass ring" jobs. A lot of people want the type of jobs you want, yet the number of those jobs actually available are very few. So only the very best are likely to land them, and for those who do have them high standards are probably expected.

Chances are, you'll need to accept jobs in which you'll have to do things that you don't like, especially when you have little experience. Today, many employers for skilled jobs that pay what most would consider a living wage want 5+ years experience because there are enough people looking for those positions that they can safely weed out anyone who doesn't have that experience. Also, most of these jobs come with the expectation that you work at least 40 hours/week (although 50 hours/week is becoming more common).

In spite of what I said earlier about being careful about what job(s) you accept, this point in your life is not a time to be too choosy. Unless and until you do things you don't enjoy doing (like most people do when they go to work), you're highly unlikely to get any sort of dream job. That may include working at many places such as grocery stores and doing internships, which may not even be paid!

Even if you do get the job that seems like your dream job, it may come with many expectations that you may not like. For instance, my accomplished brother works as a software developer at a company which allows him to work at home every other day and ~20 hours/week during most weeks for a full-time salary. However, when a product is about to be released, it's not unusual for him to work like crazy for ~80-100 hours/week, which I'm sure is not fun. If you don't meet whatever the expectations are, you may not keep the job for very long.

I don't know how old you are, so I'm not sure what your situation is like or whether you're in school. Regardless of whether or not you're in school, have parents to pay for your college, or whatever the case may be, I highly recommend that you at least find a part time job that you'll probably find at least somewhat tolerable and stick with it for a reasonable amount of time(1). It will make your resume look better than just having worked a few weeks in your life, and it will probably teach you how to put up with being a working person needing to sometimes do things you don't enjoy.

(1)Reasonable amount of time: I believe that at least 6 months would be considered a reasonable amount of time, unless it is understood ahead of time that it would be shorter than that (i.e., it's a Summer job).

#34 BobObob, Dec 7, 2015
  15. MrSecret

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I really don't know why I bothered asking here. But I guess getting bashed and criticized wasn't something I was expecting from a gay forum community.

I can't believe how dumb people think I am. Did I EVER say I was expecting things to be handed to me on a silver platter? Did I ever SAY the world revolved around me? Just to point out a few things. Obviously my career choices will need other people, but I meant the actual writing process. The scripts or novel will be mine, which is what I was trying to say when I meant "By myself" as for photography, that actually CAN be done with just yourself, especially if you're free-lancing.

To everyone telling me to "face reality" or whatever. Oh. My. God. I have stated MULTIPLE times I know how the real world works.

It's funny, here I am thinking I would get some advice like "Oh, try and speak with someone about it" or "I would suggest you wait a week or two, then talk with the manager" and things along the lines of that.

Instead I get things like "Grow up and face reality" and "You don't know anything, get prepared for a wake-up call" and it makes me realize how sad you guys are. Really, It's pathetic. Did you guys get kicked out of the house or something? Because seriously, everyone is taking this so far out of context I'm actually laughing. Like, do you know how dumb this makes everyone look? I really am shocked and amused at the responses I'm getting, it's a wild ride that's for sure.

Let me guess, I'll get a bunch of comments saying how childish I am or whatever, but honestly if this is the way the community is I want no part in it.

But I just want to say thanks, really, all the angry comments remind me how literally nothing anyone has said actually effects me in real life. It amuses me, I'm imagining people furiously typing on their computer ready to rip me to shreds because for some reason, not wanting a job is a sin and makes me a fish out of water when it comes to reality.

I'll probably post some replies to whoever goes on a long tangent reply to this, but I think I'm done with this site. I never visited too often, but until now it was pretty fun. Honestly, I only made this account to talk about my crushes or get advice about boys, but I came out two months ago and I don't really have a use for it now.

To the people who were chill here, take care. To those who are so arrogant to bash someone over the internet, a pray you always step in puddles with your socks on.

#35 MrSecret, Dec 7, 2015
  16. AlexLee

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Produce is easier than center store. Way easier. Just saying.

17. FalconBlueSky00

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It's is a bit harsh is here, I think most people mean well with the tough love or something.... Your career interest line up with mine, art ect. I recently landed a job (little over a year ago) as a graphic designer, what I have been dreaming of. It is hands down the hardest most demoralizing job I have ever worked. I'm yelled at constantly by my boss, and my work, my art is judged constantly both by my boss and the public with both good and bad results. At the same time I love creating, and until I get more experience I'm stuck here. I don't think I could have toughed it out this long without the coping skills I learned in other "crap" jobs. I think this is what many people are trying to communicate. You do gain something by finding ways to overcome a crappy job. Best of luck to you it's really hard working a bad job.