Sexual attraction V. attraction?

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by Secrets5, Nov 29, 2015.

1. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hello,

Is sexual attraction different from attraction? And if yes, how would I work out which is which?

Thank-you.

2. lastking

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    'Attraction' is a broad term. Attraction can be sexual, physical, aesthetic, emotional, romantic, sensual, and etc. Usually when people say they're 'attracted' to someone it can any of those terms but I feel like it usually used to imply physical attraction (attracted to one's physical features). Sexual attraction is being attracted to someone sexually.

3. ilovecats

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think that in terms of feeling attracted to someone it can be very confusing. It's hard for me to tell the difference sometimes. I think part of it is intentional denial that I'm sexually attracted to someone other than my partner. I feel like it's okay to be attracted to someone's personality, intelligence, and sense of humor rather than wanting them sexually. Although this self-denial probably makes sexual attraction even stronger.

I think the difference between sexual attraction and attraction comes down to do you want to have sex with them? Do you fantasize about them? I find myself going through these questions sometimes. It doesn't always help my confusion, but it might help yours.

Are you struggling with someone in particular?

4. bubbles123

bubbles123 Guest

I think it also kind of depends on how you define it based on how you get attracted to people. I think some people can look at a person and think "I'd reeeally like to sleep with them." Others don't really think that until they get to know a person more, but can still be drawn to certain peoples' physical features. That's more how I am anyway. I think of attraction in general as just who you're drawn to, who your eyes go to when you see people in public, or who's personality you really like crush on them. It can vary a lot.

5. zeecoop

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    not sure really.

sexual attraction feels more "legit" and real. Tend to feel more energised as well than a normal attraction.

#5 zeecoop, Dec 1, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 1, 2015
  6. baddech

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    To be attracted to something is to be drawn or pulled towards something.

To be sexually attracted to something is to be drawn or pulled towards something in a sexual manner.

Examples:

The positive magnet was attracted to the negative magnet.

I may find Justin Bieber sexually attractive but I'm not attracted to other men.

#6 baddech, Dec 5, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2015
  7. MtnCase

I agree with this statement. Attraction is a broad term which can be applied to a number of different things.
    For example, you can be physically attracted to someone (which is probably the most common use) if you really enjoy their aesthetic- whether that be a pretty face, a body type which turns you on, etc.
    A different example is you could be attracted to a personality type. This can result in a romantic relationship, friendship, or any other type of relationship in fact.

To try to more directly answer your question of how to work out which is which: don't try too hard to analyze it. Let things happen naturally. If you notice yourself staring at their lips and wondering what it would be like to kiss them, or if you notice yourself fantasizing about cuddling with them or having sex with them, those are good indicators. But if you find yourself wanting to be around them and do things with them and talk to them without any of those other physical contact desires, then it could be a different form of attraction.