1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lost my virginity today - biggest mistake EVER

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Aptiva, Nov 27, 2015.

1. Really

2. Lin1

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Just reread my first message and relax. Even if you did have AIDS you would live a pretty normal life and would only reduce your life span of about a year (on an average), which means that you would still have more chances of getting killed in a car crash or else than by the actual disease or consequences of it. :thumbsup:

3. Anthemic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I am also 100% sure you feel sick because you're panicky. Anxiety controls the body physically just as much as mentally.

4. BobObob

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's normal to get sick when you're anxious. This is (at least partly) because the body releases more cortisol when you're anxious, and cortisol suppresses your immune system. On top of that, people tend to spend more time indoors at this time of year because of colder weather, so viruses tend to spread easier with people cluttered in closer proximity. So it's very common for people to get sick at this time of year, especially if they're anxious.

I use to get sick at the end of November/beginning of December back in college when I was worried about final exams.

Also, as Linning suggested, your symptoms may be a self-fulfilling prophecy carried out by your brain.

5. Aptiva

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I like how you said self-fulfilling prophecy. That's most likely what it is. I've been completely consumed by this and anxious beyond words.

---------- Post added 29th Nov 2015 at 12:31 AM ----------

I saw somewhere that doctors would rather have HIV than diabetes. And when I looked up stories from people who have HIV and what they say life is like, it's really not too big of a deal, it seems. Hell, we could be getting closer to a cure, but that doesn't mean I won't continue to be extremely scared, depressed, anxious, nervous and very worrisome. I'm still very scared and I'm still unable to eat anything. Did I mention that I only ate a little bit of food since this panic started?

6. Aptiva

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have been doing some math to calculate how my chances of having HIV are.

There are about 73,000 people in Canada with HIV. Divided among Canada's 13 provinces, that's roughly 5,716 infected people per province, but it will be different for each province. Between Calgary and Edmonton, there's roughly 2,807 people in each city. Of course this does not account for other towns and cities in Alberta, so the actual numbers could be lower. If about 11% of the population has same sex tendencies, that means there's about 135,400 people with same sex attraction in Calgary. Roughly 63% of all HIV reports in Canada were a result of gay sex. That means out of the 73,000 infected people in Canada, that means 45,990 people in Canada with HIV are positive as a result of gay sex. If that is divided among the provinces, that means 3,537 people with HIV got it as a result of gay sex. Divide that between Calgary and Edmonton, and that's about 1,768 people in each city are infected as a result of gay sex, again not accounting for the other cities and towns in Alberta, and the fact that there may be a higher rate in Northern Alberta. That means there could be around 1,768 gay males in Calgary who have HIV. Divide 135,400 by two (males and females) and that's 67,700 men with same sex attraction. If my calculations are correct, that means 0.03% of all men with same sex attraction have HIV.

If that's true, the guy I was with most likely isn't HIV positive. If he is, he must have a high viral load. If he did, I must have come into contact with his body fluids (and besides his saliva, I don't believe I came into contact with any, and if so, not an appreciable amount. It's very rare for HIV to be transmitted through saliva). And even if those three prerequisites were met, according to numerous sources, there is a 0.62% chance the infection was transferred. Some sources state that out of 10,000 unprotected, insertive anal sexual encounters, 11 of those should result in a transfer of HIV.

But even though I know that the chances I got HIV are very slim, I still cannot stop panicking. It's horrible, I'm still in absolute mental anguish, and it's consuming me.

#26 Aptiva, Nov 29, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2015
  7. Aptiva

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I need your commentary on the last post I made to this thread.

8. BobObob

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm not exactly the best qualified person to comment on this, since I'm not very well educated about diseases. However, from what I know about how HIV spreads, and from what you've written, I think it's very unlikely you got HIV from this encounter.

Even though I haven't been through the same scenario, I understand the general tendency to worry about something that is not within your control, even if the odds are slim. I wish I could say more to alleviate your panicking and mental anguish. I wish I could be more helpful.

#28 BobObob, Nov 30, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2015
  9. Aptiva

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I appreciate this, I really do. I understand everyone's desire to help, and I thank everyone for it. I do understand my chances of contracting HIV are very, very low. I can't stop panicking, and I have to wait.

10. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You're getting to the point where your anxiety is reaching the acute stage. You've got a dozen people telling you that your statistical likelihood is very close to zero, and your own calculations (which, by the way, are grossly overestimating the risk) also show the risk to be minuscule.

I get that this is upsetting, and at the same time, I'm hearing a lot of behavior that simply doesn't sound rational. You are going to need to take some steps to calm yourself, process the anxiety, and work through what you're feeling, or you're likely to make yourself sick simply from worry. I'm thinking it may make sense to get an appointment to see a therapist so you can talk through some of the worry and get yourself into a better place, as well as getting some help with some tools - breathing, meditation, and so forth -- that can help you calm yourself.

11. Aptiva

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    What do you mean by the acute stage?

This helps to calm me, even if it is for just a little while. I suspect that I have to wait and let this panic subside, and I don't know how I could hurry it along, although deep breathing and meditation do sound like a good idea, as you suggested.

12. Aptiva

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    What do you mean about the acute stage of anxiety?

13. middleGay

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Technically it means where the symptoms are most severe before you start recovering. To translate, he is saying the symptoms of your anxiety are appearing, worsening becoming apparent.

Anxiety about an illness can actually cause some symptoms that make you think you are actually ill. Dry mouth, nausea, diarrhea, headaches to name a few. Some people spend years dealing with imaginary symptoms, there is a reason why we have to cater for the placebo effect when performing studies of the efficacy of medical treatments. The mind's ability to impact the body is amazing. You don't need to spend years, because you can find out with a lot of certainty in a few weeks and with complete certainty in 90 days. More on this later.

Bottom line the problem is, a doc is not going to say "You don't have HIV, he's going to say, you almost definitely don't have HIV". He will say this because there is no such thing as an absolute. However, when someone says the chances of you having HIV are pretty much zero, well you can assume you pretty much do not have HIV. It's a fragile virus, almost anything kills it. I am going to predict that you'll go through this period of agonizing over the what if's and then you'll discover you don't have it and learn a really important lesson.

I suggest you talk to someone, a therapist would be ideal or someone at an STD clinic. You can call one and ask them if they have someone who could counsel you, that you're really struggling. These people see people in your situation all day every day and know the cold hard facts and the realities, they don't know the half truths and imaginings that you'll find on many forums online.

You need someone to reassure you and tell you the risk is astronomically low.

Hang in there, this is a painful time that a lot of gay guys face at some point when they first start sexual activity. However, you'll learn a lot out of it and never make the mistake again and be stronger for it.

Don't forget, you can get tested. Keep in mind that the reason they say 90 days is that statistically EVERYONE will test positive at 90 days if they have been exposed. Some people will test positive at two weeks. The tests are incredibly sensitive now. Consider getting tested at 30 days, even consider it at two weeks if you feel it will help you relax. 30 days is a reasonable point because it starts to become reasonably reliable for most people, but also retest at 90 days to completely rule it out.

It's scary, which is why you should chat to someone who knows what they are talking about. However, over time you'll get your fears under control and realize that:

1) It's almost guaranteed you don't have it
    2) In the extremely unlikely case that you do, you'll live a normal life. You don't have to tell anyone other than sexual partners, there is even a pretty good chance they'll find a 100% cure in the not too distant future. Until then, it's a manageable disease just like diabetes (better actually) the main reason we fear it so much now is the social stigma.

You are going to be fine, you're going to be awesome!

14. Aptiva

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It's one week later, and on Monday (technically that's today) I'm going for my first test. They're going to test for Chlamydia, Gonorrhea, Syphilis and HIV. My doctor said I could go, and my doctor wants the test repeated in 3 weeks.

The past couple of days my anxiety decreased quite significantly, to the point of it being completely gone at the end of the day. Unfortunately, while I understand that my anxiety is a big problem for now and the fact that I understand that the risk I caught HIV is low, my anxiety came back in the past few minutes, where a few minutes ago it was pretty much gone. The anxiety came back when I started looking on the Internet what it was like to live with HIV. All it took were a couple of bad stories out of a bunch of good ones to bring my anxiety back to high levels. I started researching it again out of impulse, and that made it worse.

HIV really isn't as bad as I think it is. Diabetes is worse. It's the long amounts of time involved in this that I hate so much, or that are the bulk of my fear. I need reassurance. Please help.

#34 Aptiva, Dec 7, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2015
  15. middleGay

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Sounds like your doc is looking after you and you have put things in perspective which has lessened your anxiety. Now is the time to stop researching online, you have nothing new to learn. There is so much misinformation out there it's just distracting. Be kind to yourself for a while, live your normal routine but give yourself a break too. It's all going to be fine, take a deep breath, life ia great!

#35 middleGay, Dec 7, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2015
  16. Aptiva

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I just finished my first test. I should have the results on Wednesday. The test is to be repeated in 3 weeks. Please wish me luck.

17. AnotherStranger

hugs, you know itll be alright. Good luck.

18. aussielefty

19. Mikelhpc228

Not meaning to sound judgemental or prudish; but-having sex in public is a still a crime in most juristictions, if caught, you could be arrested, and may become labeled as a sex offender. Not only should you use condoms, but be safe in private.

20. Typhoon

Typhoon Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Calm down, that's the first thing you need to do. Yes you were an idiot, does that help? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: We all make mistakes, some bigger than others. However luckily you realized this after one encounter - whereas a lot of young people hook-up carelessly and engage in bareback sex with complete strangers regularly

I'm not saying it is a definite no-no but your chances of having contracted an STD are really low. Perhaps asking the person directly (as awkward as that sounds) might be re-assuring since the tests might take a while? You might also talk to a counselor or message a Samaritan to blow off some steam.

#40 Typhoon, Dec 8, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2015