1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Weird timing--just now began worrying that people might think I'm gay

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by yeehaw, Nov 25, 2015.

1. yeehaw

So for most of my life, even before I was an adult, people assumed I was a lesbian. I was aware that people read me as lesbian (it would have been very hard not to know that about myself--many people were very direct about it) and I understood that my clothes and hair contributed to that assumption, but just thought a lot of people were mistaken, didn't really care that people thought I was gay, and didn't really change anything about myself to prevent that perception from happening-- I did my clothing and my hair how I wanted and didn't really worry about it. After I married a man and had a couple of kids the assumptions slowed way down, and for whatever reason I did for a while start presenting as more feminine--this was after my first child was born. Six or so years into my marriage (that had quite a lot problems beyond me being gay)I figured out I was gay, got divorced, came out to my closest friends and my mom, but not to coworkers and not to more casual friends. I separated from my ex husband almost exactly one year ago. After moving out I started making more room for me to dress in the ways that really left me feeling most comfortable with myself (returned to somewhat more androgenous clothing) and returned to having very short hair--very similar to the hair I had at my wedding, actually. For most of the last year I have felt just fine about that--good even. And now very recently, for the very first time in my life, I have started worrying that people might perceive me as gay. I mostly worry that people I work with will think I might be gay. Like I'm getting pretty anxious about it. And kind of want to try to hide it. Ugh. Why is this "maybe I should try to fem it up and not act so gay" stuff just NOW coming?

Also, Today i opened my phone in front of coworkers and there was a random album cover on it from a music app that had a mostly naked woman on it and i handeled it SO AWKWARDLY and have been semi-obsessing over it, sure that now everyone there knows I'm gay. Ugh. And yuck. And WHY NOW?

2. Distant Echo

I'm more interested in which album it was? Lol

Dont stress. You're gay, if they've figured it out, well, saves you the trouble of coming out. If no one is giving you a hard time, they either don't know, or it's not an issue.

3. Apollonia

I had bit of a same reaction - I have always been very pro-equality, shared links about equal rights in my social media accounts, went to pride, stuff like this - but ever since it has become more acute for me, sort of more real that I want to have a relationship with a woman - I suddenly feel very self conscious about these things. Like wtf??

Maybe it is something to do with being not straight now being far more personal, and therefore the fear of being mistreated because of it is also more real. Only way is keep doing what you're doing and being your authentic self, and not give a rat's ass what others think :slight_smile:

4. yeehaw

It was a Broken Bells album. :slight_smile:

5. middleGay

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think this hits the nail on the head. Before you were pro-equality etc. but it was at arms length, you always had the protection of "I'm not gay, just a supportive straight woman". Now, it's YOU. Suddenly you are one of the vulnerable ones. I totally understand where you are coming from.

My wife that I'm separated from feels the need to tell people, even old friends of mine. I tell her I want to do it on my own schedule, that the world is a prejudice place despite the progress in recent years but she just ignores me. Sometimes it terrifies me because I want to be comfortable being out to that degree before I am!

6. yeehaw

The fear of being mistreated does feel more real to me now. The a higher up administration folks where I work are also all pretty conservative and varying degrees of religious which feels kind of scary to me.

I think there is also a piece of this rooted in wanting privacy from people I'm not close to--I'm fine with people who care about me being interested in the weird turns of my life but kind of hate the idea of others I'm not close to talking about me as the latest juicy gossip. Yuck! I don't want my crazy life to be entertainment for othrrs, that feels really icky to me somehow.

---------- Post added 25th Nov 2015 at 07:16 AM ----------

Yes to all of this. It did feel much safer to me to be an ally. And I feel way more vulnerable as an actual not-straight person.

And I'm so sorry your wife is outing you to others when you have asked her not to. Not cool at all.

7. CapColors

Yeah, what these other guys said. I totally know what you mean, although I still present as pretty feminine so I don't worry of people accidentally finding out, just about what will happen when they do. I keep thinking I have to be more fit, get my hair down, etc. before I tell people.

In my case I worry more that people will think I've been unfaithful to my husband or that there is trouble in my marriage. (Yay for bi stereotypes!) I work with my husband, so, if my coworkers know, his will too.

8. Sorrel

Yeah! Exactly the same for me. I've always supported LGBT rights, it made me happy to see gay couples etc, and I wouldn't hide that. But nowaways when it seems pretty obvious I'm not straight, probably not even bi - I feel unsafe and tense. Now it's real and personal, somehow, I don't want people to look at me in "that way", whatever that means.

9. bi2me

So I'm in kind of a weird place, where I'm simultaneously feeling like my sexuality is erased as a married feminine (at least mostly) person, and I'm not ready to tell everyone, but I'm tired of it being ignored and people just assuming I'm straight.

So I've started being a bit braver (and arguably more crass and sexist) when discussing good looking actresses, saying things like, "You don't think she's good looking? I think she's hot; I'd do her!" (I was a bit tipsy at the time I said *that* one, but still...)

10. MelShill

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    You're story sounds a tad close to my own. Growing up, I was a Tom boy. My friends were in love with Justin timberlake, I was in love with the way he dressed and wanted to match the style. I cut my hair off when I was 8 and kept it short until I was 22. My husband prefers long, so I mostly did it for him. Now that we're seperated, hair has been hacked off, and I stopped trying to be girly. Even though I wasn't trying hard before lol.

I've thought about what I am going to tell my coworkers. I have two that I'm pretty close to, but I just can't bring myself to do it. I worry about their reactions even though they aren't homophobic at all. I'm chopping it up to just not being ready. Although, I'm pretty sure one of my coworkers suspects. I accidentally drOp anvil sized hints every so often and then mentally berate myself for it later. She keeps telling me that most women who divorce come out of the closet. Either because they were always gay or just figured it out. They way she says it... Like she's daring me to spills the beans. But I chicken out everytime. My closet friends don't even know. :/

#10 MelShill, Nov 28, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2015
  11. bi2me

That totally sounds like bating!

12. yeehaw

Thanks for sharing your perspectives everyone. It really does help somehow to hear that these things I'm experiencing are familiar to others--that you get it and in some cases are experiencing it too.