1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Benefits of coming out?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by spockbach, Nov 24, 2015.

1. spockbach

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    What are the benefits of just outright SAYING it to people? I mean, I feel like I just want to tell all my friends ... because otherwise I feel like I just have to hide it. I've also been feeling so upset with myself over my orientation lately; I just want to be straight! :-( So do you think I should just sort of tell those who don't know - and who would accept me (there ARE some people I can't tell) - in no uncertain terms to get it out of the way? I feel like it might make me sleep a little easier. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

2. Contact1111

Contact1111 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It just feels great :slight_smile: Trust me, when you tell people what's been on your mind all those years it feels amazing. For a while, you might even just feel like you want to keep bringing it up to those who have been accepting of you just because it feels truly amazing :slight_smile: If you know, definitely tell people. Then, you can even start acting different if you feel like you want to. I know I have, and it just feels absolutely great :slight_smile:

3. guitar

Barring any negative reactions like losing a friend, being disowned by family, or perhaps being beaten up, in most western nations, coming out is incredibly liberating. It's so freeing to be able to admit out loud when I think a guy is hot. It's so freeing to be among a group of friends and discuss my relationships and dating. It's so freeing to not have to think "well this person might know, but this person doesn't know, and I don't want her to know." Now that I'm out to everybody, I can be myself to everybody.

4. spockbach

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Thank you guys!!! I know my profile says I'm "out to most people", but since starting college in New York City, I've really had to reorient myself - a lot of people just don't know.

5. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    You're 100% okay just the way you are, honey! Being gay is beautiful, just as being straight or any other orientation is beautiful! Love is beauty. :slight_smile:

Benefit: Confidence. It helps you feel safe to express yourself more fully in your everyday life, which is great! :slight_smile:

6. JetBlackHeart

It's also comforting in a way knowing that there's people there who know and support you :slight_smile: for example, I told my bestfriend today that I'm bi and she said that nothing with change between us and she fully supports me. It was so sweet and every time I come out to someone, the feeling of another person knowing never gets old :slight_smile: I also told another one of my friends yesterday and she was the second person I have told face to face (first was my brother) and it literally felt like the first time I'd ever told someone all over again :slight_smile:
    There will be people who are less accepting and frown apon it but so be it, they have their views and if they can't accept people being happy then that's their loss :slight_smile: I have a very homophobic 'friend' and if she doesn't want to be my friend when she finds out then I don't really care because I don't need people like that in my life and no one else should have to put up with that either:slight_smile:
    Go for it <3

7. Aviator182

I just came out about a month ago. The benefits have been amazing. The best one is I've been able to be true to myself, be myself, and start enjoying life more. I found out I have amazing friends and family that truly love and support me, not for who they want me to be, but for whom I am no questions asked. Sleep has improved 1000% percent. The benefits go on and on. It's not easy, but as long as you're in a safe environment and comfortable with yourself, it's definitely worth it.

Please remember that there is nothing wrong with being gay.

8. Minori

You finally have it off your chest and feel like you can really be yourself. We all like to talk about our crushes. Would be easier to do if your friends know your sexual orientation! It also just, made me feel better to tell people. That this is who I am. Especially since many of us keep it hidden for so long

9. Mila

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    By coming out you stop living a lie. You don't have anymore secrets from the people around you, both close and distant. It should be a liberating feeling. You are true to yourself and others, you finally start living a life that you want!

10. YermanTom

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The thing with coming out is that every time you meet new people you have to come out all over again.
    At this stage I behave as if everyone knows that I'm gay. This can give me an occasional laugh when someone has to do a double take!
    Generally I'm happier being out.

11. spockbach

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Wow, you guys have given me much more confidence! I'm going to try and come out to a few friends without worrying so much. Thank you!!! <3

12. LolliPopps

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    When I came out to my friends and brother it felt like a weight had been lifted of my shoulders it felt great :slight_smile: Now I just have to use all the confidence from telling them to tell my parents :slight_smile: I can't wait :slight_smile:

13. spockbach

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Wow, good luck! I hope they're supportive!!