1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does being in a church make you uncomfortable?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by HuskyPup, Nov 23, 2015.

?

Does being in a church make you uncomfortable?

Poll closed Sep 19, 2017.
  1. Yes, very much so, and I avoid them as best I can

46 vote(s)
    29.7%
  2. Somewhat uncomfortable

40 vote(s)
    25.8%
  3. Neutral: Neither more nor less comfortable

40 vote(s)
    25.8%
  4. I find them comforting/consoling places to be

29 vote(s)
    18.7%
  1. suchconfusion

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I always felt kind of awkward being in a church, since I didn't start going again until my mom brought me after years of not going and me basically losing most of my faith, but I didn't mind them so much. After I realized I was bi, I felt so damn awkward stepping in there like I was going into enemy territory. Just the idea that the root of the hatred of so many lgbt+ bigots is religion is so disheartening and ugly that religion turns me off now.

2. mobrien1993

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I avoid churches. There's a lot of things that went on when I was younger and trying to figure out who I was and the main problem was with my mom church and religion so I chose not to go.

3. MusicNotes

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I hate being in a Church, but my Parents are Christian and despite me telling them I don't want to go I'm dragged along, and forced to go to the Sunday schools.

#63 MusicNotes, Nov 29, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2015
  4. Posthuman666

I avoid them as I am not christian and feel no need to go to one. When my mom drags me to church with her and my family it is always extremely uncomfortable.

5. SemiCharmedLife

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Depends why I'm going. I'm Jewish so I don't worship in churches, and when I go to one for a service like a wedding or funeral I do feel very alien. But if I'm going for a secular purpose (choir concert, architecture tour) it's not a problem

6. Justinian20

I felt uncomfortable being in a church, the most recent time I went because my mother dragged me off to church. I just felt super uncomfortable, so trying to make myself comfortable I listened to my music. But their gospel music was too loud and so pretty much I just went on my phone the whole time, just because I was uncomfortable, but for me historical churches don't do that mainly because so many historical buildings are beautiful and churches are the same as historical building.

7. justine16

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    All the ones I've been in yes! That being said, I've never been to an accepting church. Mostly just evangelical and Catholic ones. Yuck!

8. gibson234

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I can't really stand all the ass kissing.

9. angeluscrzy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It is a long held suspicion of mine that should I cross the threshold of a church, I would instantly burst into flames.

10. PlantSoul

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    You know how long it has been since I've gone to church? Years. In the church where I was once a frequent member, though there were a few occasions when I was uncomfortable, I was never uncomfortable in simply going there, except when I was first questioning my sexuality. I was on good terms with the majority of the parish.

In going to churches not as a member of the parish but as a tourist or occasional visitor, any uncomfortability would've been the various hang-ups I had towards the faith.

11. Sepina

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Churches don't make me feel uncomfortable, the people there do.

12. denouement

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    If it's another church than the one I went to as a kid, I'd feel uncomfortable. Even other denominations have such a different vibe to them.

Although even back in the day, I was always so stressed. Everyone knew me since I was a kid so there were a lot of expectations... plus everyone got dressed up. These days I'm no longer Christian, and not as much emphasis on the formal wear, so it's a lot more relaxing. I'm willing to come along since it makes my parents happy. Kick back, take a nap, maybe get some free food out of it, not too bad a deal.

#72 denouement, Dec 2, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2015
  13. DougTheBicycle

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's only uncomfortable when someone mentions homosexuality being a sin.

Also when my head bursts into flames. Makes things awkward.

14. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I grew up in a Methodist church, and to be honest, I kind of miss some of the friends I had there and seeing certain people every week. I don't feel uncomfortable in churches, I just don't find myself in them very often.

15. MissMook

As an agnostic, I don't go to church regularly. But I went to church with my Christian girlfriend a couple times and never had an uncomfortable experience.

Like many other religions, the lessons and morals they preach are with good intention. Though if they were to go off record to talk trash about a certain group, I would feel uncomfortable.

I don't think people need to go though, unless it's a serious part of their life and faith. I've met many Christians who rarely even go.

16. White Rose

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I chose neutral.
    Because I really like churches' architecture, it transmits me a sense of awe and greatnes, I can't explain really well, but I'm fond of grandiose buildings in general, being them religious of not.
    As for a church with people inside it, well... :grin:
    I don't feel comfortable at all, I'm not religious at all and being there during a sermon or a mass or whatever would feel strange to me.
    So, Positive and Negative makes Neutral!

#76 White Rose, Dec 2, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2015
  17. Oddsocks

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm kind of awkward in churches. I used to go to church a lot as a child (but I confess, it was mainly because two of my village friends went, and because I could get free hot chocolate and a Hobnob) but as I grew apart from religion as a thing, it's just felt kind of weird for me to be there.

Double weird if singing is involved. Not because I dislike the singing, but because I automatically sing hymns in the highest register available to me, which never happens any other time. My inner choirboy comes out when summoned, apparently.

18. Canterpiece

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Eh... more annoyed than uncomfortable. Then again I have to walk past this church nearly every morning to get to college, and you see some really shady looking people hanging around the church who scare me. I've never had anything happen to me, except some random old man asked me to get him coffee when I was walking past. I said no because he kinda creeped me out and I was getting a really weird vibe from the situation.

I hate going in churches. I used to all the time since my old primary school being a religious one and all, but being the cynical atheist I am I don't have much reason to go to church and I certainly don't want to. Like the OP I feel rather fleeting whilst in one (which is usually at weddings and funerals) and I feel like running out the door and a sinking sensation that something isn't right. I tend to swear a lot internally out of rage of having to be at one and it brings me back memories of primary school and how we would carry these oranges with sticks in covered in fruit and sweets and the oranges would be covered in tinfoil in the middle for some reason, I remember how they would put a candle over the tinfoil in the middle of the orange and light it and we would walk around the church whilst my "friends" would try and trip me up so I would make a fool of myself in front of all of the parents watching.

I don't like having to sing hymns and pretending to pray at funerals. Which is really awkward by the way, but I feel like it's a requirement to pretend that your praying at funerals but I'm tempted to just sit there with my hands by my side the next time I'm at someone's funeral, or possibly a Christening (never been to someone's christening before, except my own of course) (or possibly wedding, I'm not sure if we had to pray the last time or not when I was at one). Why do we have to have these events at a church? I mean I can understand Christenings and all (which I would prefer to avoid) and I know that you can have weddings in different surroundings, but I have to wonder what a funeral without religion would be like. Yeah...

I remember being in Cyprus on holiday, and my mum and my sister went to see this old church and I flat out refused so I stayed at the flat with my dad instead. My sister mockingly called me a Satanist for not wanting to go and asked me why I was so opposed to it in the first place. I think she's a Jedi or something these days.

So um yeah...

19. BookWriter1994

I don't feel uncomfortable to be honest. There is a church that accepts everyone where I live so that's pretty cool. I don't go to church but I wouldn't mind going every other Sunday or so

20. Batman

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ehh, they just kinda make me feel like I'm going to get in trouble. When I used to go to church, I was always getting berated for being antsy, noisy, messing around with the bibles or just refusing to wear my church clothes, and so now when I'm in those kind of buildings, I'm always checking over my shoulder :lol:

Additionally, as someone who's not into the religion scene, it feels like an invasion of others' beliefs to be in especially religious buildings.