1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does being in a church make you uncomfortable?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by HuskyPup, Nov 23, 2015.

?

Does being in a church make you uncomfortable?

Poll closed Sep 19, 2017.
  1. Yes, very much so, and I avoid them as best I can

46 vote(s)
    29.7%
  2. Somewhat uncomfortable

40 vote(s)
    25.8%
  3. Neutral: Neither more nor less comfortable

40 vote(s)
    25.8%
  4. I find them comforting/consoling places to be

29 vote(s)
    18.7%
  1. Nekoko

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Eh, depends on the church.... I used to think there were monsters in the baptismal pool at this Baptist church I used to go to for daycare... (My parents aren't baptist, my mom just worked for the daycare.)

2. Florestan

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It depends. I'm trapped in a Southern Baptist church right now, so it's really awkward. I like Presbyterian churches, though (the more liberal ones, anyway). It seems like they keep a lot of tradition and liturgy without being too stuffy for my tastes.

3. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yes I hate even going in them.

4. Gentlewoman

Out Status:
    A few people
    Not particularly. I'm not religious, but my background is Catholic, and some Catholic traditions I enjoy out of connection to family and history. I haven't really had any bad experiences with religion. As such, churches in and of themselves don't make me uncomfortable at all. I do also appreciate them from an architectural point of view. Historically, it's where the best design and construction work has happened.

#44 Gentlewoman, Nov 23, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2015
  5. larkcarmen

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, I'm in the minority today.
    I'm a Baptist Christian and my church is a very comforting place for me. It's comfortable and people are always friendly. They won't hug you if it's unwanted but they're okay with hugs too. They're so willing to give you love and it's a great feeling. Bonus, I've never heard a sermon ever mention sexuality at my church in the 3 years I've been there.

6. Gaysibling

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I find them creepy and a bit disturbing, fortunately, I haven't had to set foot in one for years... the last time would have been in early 2004 when a friend inexplicably decided it would be a nice place for her wedding and I had already verbally accepted the invitation before I realised it was a church wedding. Apart from that , I can't recall the last time.....certainly not within the last 30 years

7. Reciprocal

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No, quite the opposite. Even though I'm not religious, I think churches are often beautiful buildings and I have no qualms about being inside them (unless they're going to convert me or make me take part in some ancient creepy ritual). The last time I went in one was for a craft fair, with tea and cakes. It goes to show that even if you take the religion out, they are still places of peace and togetherness.

8. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The Church isn't what makes me uneasy, rather it's people in general.

9. Lawrence

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I feel comfortable near (protestant) churches. It must be the nostalgic effect. I converted to Satanism when I was 15 and I kept attending church until I was 18. I remember a lot of hymns lol.

I got bored being inside church unless the minister talked about cool stories from their life or philosophical stuff. I can admire the unity of the people, but I don't belong in the house of god. Plus I feel some inexplicable urge to draw magical symbols over the building.

10. Open Arms

Open Arms Guest

I feel very much at home in church, whether it is Catholic, Protestant or a chapel. I can meditate and pray there. It's very peaceful.

I've heard it said that society's values are reflected by the structures they build. Many years ago, it was grand churches and temples; nowadays it's malls, theatres and arenas. We used to worship God; now we worship money, celebrities and athletes. I choose to worship the greatest builder, the Creator of the universe and all of nature.

11. waitwhat

waitwhat Guest

I wouldn't say uncomfortable. I question a lot of what goes on in churches because (and I do not mean any offense by this) I find religion ridiculous. Not just christianity, all religions. But I tend to question why they do certain things like lighting candles or kneel, sit, stand.

12. ModernCat

ModernCat Guest

I feel the same way.

13. Mental

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I've been to churches before, mostly a lutheran one, though I have been to other ones before. I don't find them uncomfortable and everyone is very aproachable. The church I go to isn't homosexual bashing, but it's not pro-homosexuality either. I feel my church truly just does not give a damn. Seeing as the view is that (and by the way, this is actualy for most forms of christianity), as long as you believe in jesus, you won't go to hell. I'm not sure that this is true for the Lutheran church, but in some cases you'll go to purgatory and suffer there for a little while, and then you are allowed into heaven.

14. Zalias

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's not very comfortable when I spontaneously combust upon crossing the threshold. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

15. AgenderMoose

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Nope, nu-uh, not happening, I can't with churches, nope, nope, I am so far from that faith and it's been used for so many excuses that are against my perspective, and nope. Nope. Can't do it.

16. spoke ears

Whenever I visit my parents, I have to go to church with them. Generally, I don't mind expect when the topic of homosexual comes up because it's never view in a positive light. For example, this summer I had to sit through a whole church service about how the church shouldn't accept gay and trans people. At a different church (my parents tends to church hop), I saw a pamphlet about homosexuality and it was right next to pamphlets about drug addiction and domestic abuse.

17. AlexanderDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Unquestionably so. I'm not really religious, but am spiritual and think spirituality is an individual thing. Idk why but church feels to me like the attempted unification of many different spiritualities and it makes my skin crawl. Church as a place of peace however is very nice, I'm just not fond of the doctrines observed there. A non religious place of spiritual safety would be lovely around here.

#57 AlexanderDragon, Nov 29, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2015
  18. Steve FS

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I don't think it's the church that's the problem, but the people that go to the church that I'm more uncomfortable being around. They just seem so self-righteous, and when the whole topic of homosexuality comes up, the venom that spits out of their mouth is repulsive.

19. CJliving

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Not at all. I grew up in Christian churches and am generally very comfortable in them. There have been moments (oh the stories...) but that's just people making situations uncomfortable, not the atmosphere or religion. I've also been in Buddhist temples and Shinto Shrines and participated in prayers there, and felt comfortable doing so (despite not being Buddhist or Shinto).

The most uncomfortable I've probably ever felt in a church, was my aunt's mom's funeral. It was Eastern Orthodox Catholic, and while the singing prayers in Ukrainian was really cool, the hour or so of being told to pray and give money to the church or my aunt's mother's soul would burn in hell longer...not so great. :/

20. The Escapist

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Churches themselves I find to be interesting places. I actually think I feel quite comfortable in them, and I rather wish I could just walk through mine one last time without anyone else there to spoil the moment.
    Once the people are inside though, it's a different scenario.
    As an LGBT+ person, it would depend on the church. There are a small handful of affirming churches that would be fine. Otherwise I avoid going to them now because.. what's the point?
    As an ex-Christian, I avoid all churches altogether. Even the affirming ones are still churches. And as someone who is not a fan of religion, I can only imagine bad situations coming out of any visit, even though like I said, I often fantasize of just being able to go and see the place and feel nostalgic and comfortable again. But the people who place their harmful ideas inside these places and let them fester, well that kind of ruins the whole experience.