1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does being in a church make you uncomfortable?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by HuskyPup, Nov 23, 2015.

?

Does being in a church make you uncomfortable?

Poll closed Sep 19, 2017.
  1. Yes, very much so, and I avoid them as best I can

46 vote(s)
    29.7%
  2. Somewhat uncomfortable

40 vote(s)
    25.8%
  3. Neutral: Neither more nor less comfortable

40 vote(s)
    25.8%
  4. I find them comforting/consoling places to be

29 vote(s)
    18.7%
  1. MCairo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Hm not at all. I actually enjoy visiting churches, especially if they're historical. I don't have any spiritual sensation when I'm in there, though.

2. MetalRice

Nah, I'm not the kind of Christian that goes to church regularly, but church can be a very comforting and warm place.

3. iiimee

Not too much, until people start talking about "Gawd". In that moment, I want to run away, before I say something very rude to them, or ask them about the logic behind believing in anything without evidence... Most people I know who go to church are nice, until they learn I'm trans- then 50% of them dislike me. The remaining 50% are more cautious around me, but still act polite. I've never been to a Mosque though, and only have experience with churches...

4. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    While I'm never really "comfortable" unless I'm around people I really know and I've gotten accustomed to, to the point where I know I can be comfortable around them, I've never really been comfortable in a church. Perhaps it's that I'm always feeling like I get dragged to said church, and I've been even more uncomfortable since I learned I wasn't straight. There was a time when I was mostly fine with the people and pastors at church. And then that changed when the 2nd shift in pastors happened, and we got one really progressive pastor (who was easier to talk to) and one very conservative one, who was the main one. He ended up telling my father that he couldn't do what got him into that church (and later on, house). So I'm never really sure who I can trust, unless again, it's people from church who have really been strong allies and I know I can trust them to the point where I've gotten accustomed to that. I've said before that religion and I have never really clicked, despite several attempts. This is one of those reasons why.

5. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I should add that this poll was meant to be about being in a church building in general, not necessarily during an official service, or being an official member of a church...more so as to just going into one, for whatever reason. Maybe my wording could have been more clear when I posted, but my coffee hadn't fully kicked in yet. :slight_smile:

For me, I could be alone in one, and still feel out of place...at a minimum it would seem eerie/spooky.

Curiously, if it was say a Buddhist or Hindu temple, I'd feel more a sense of interest, wonder and curiosity, perhaps due to due to these being more culturally and not having as many direct associations.

Well, that's for all the replies, it's been interesting, seeing all the points of view here.

#25 HuskyPup, Nov 23, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2015
  6. XenaxGabby

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yep! I feel like I could burst into flames at any second :lol:

7. KnucklesNation

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I feel very comfortable in a church - I'm not clear on whether it's natural or the fact that I stopped wearing formal wear and started dressing casually/comfortably in church - but for whatever reason I just am. I am however a bit iffy about certain people that be there. I call them part-time "christians" as they're only "saved, sanctified, and holy-ghost-filled" when they're inside the sanctuary; outside it's another story.

But I did have an experience when I was VERY uncomfortable, and that was when I was at a community function that was held by a church(wasn't mine); they were giving away prizes and doing a whole raffle ticket type of thing, it was very nice. Raising the spirits of the community by giving away medication, sanitation products, food, etc. I was just happy to see positivity in the world for a change.

But then came this rather public prayer, and the guy doing the prayer really surprised me. As opposed to uplifting the community and spreading the love of Jesus through it, he was talking about how an abomination and bad homosexuality was. It was then I stopped and walked away as I couldn't partake in a prayer to a loving God that was simmered with hate. Oh, the irony. Though what REALLY made me uncomfortable was there was an openly gay guy there; I looked over to him and noticed that he was hurt by what the man was saying, and I just shook my head.

It was then I realized that churches want so badly to be held as the pillar of the community, but neglect the fact that the community is filled with lots of different people now. And when it comes down to uplifting a community, you have to be fair, respectful, and courteous to all of them in spite of what or who they are. But so often by so many, that part of the bible is overlooked.

#27 KnucklesNation, Nov 23, 2015
  8. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Uncomfortable, no.. bored, yes. The only time I ever visit church is weddings and funerals and neither are enjoyable experiences.

#28 imnotreallysure, Nov 23, 2015
  9. WhereWeWere

WhereWeWere Guest

Nope-ty nope nope, no churches for me. I went with my mom to choir practice once when I was bored and I felt like I was suffocating inside of there.

#29 WhereWeWere, Nov 23, 2015
  10. Sebulba

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I stopped going to church as soon as i had the choice. Realizing I have things about me that disagreed with the churches has made me uncomfortable in them.

11. CyanChachki

I used to have a friend who I had sleepovers with as a kid. We would do it every Saturday, then we'd get up and go to church on Sunday. At first, I was a bit worried about how they would act, but it turned out quite wonderful. We where always asked to get up and shake hands with everyone, so that we could eventually become friends. Singing songs in church was always nice and uplifting. I only wish I could go every Sunday, without them caring whether or not I'm bisexual/trans.

12. heandsheisme

I am very comfortable in a church. It allows me to sit and focus. I am also reminded every time of what one of my old priest's told me: "Always think, what comes next?"

13. justin88

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    LOL :eusa_clap same here!

14. Lone Dragon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    No, not really. It can be a very peaceful place tbh. But it's always cold in there. Oh and the kitchen has good donuts!

15. crystalgem

Out Status:
    A few people
    depends on what kind of church, like right now I don't go to church because I'm waiting for when I go to college and move out so I can chose a church that supports everyone not just straight, cis people

16. DeviantAttitude

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I cant really vote because none of the answers fit tbh.

The other day I went to church for the first time in years, simply because my cousin was getting baptized.
    Let me first say 2 things: 1. Im an atheist, so I wasnt celebrating with everyone I was just observing. 2. Church day is more of an obligation. Church doesnt really mean happiness and joy. Its just routine.

With that said it was really strange but pleasant. Im not an antitheist. I believe that if you can find comfort and happiness in religion it is a-ok. So seeing everyone just sitting there listening to the word of god and the priest saying "practice good" and those things was inspiring actually. From a sociological POV of course.

17. Bismuth

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    It's hard for me to say how I feel about being inside churches without bringing up the service. I find architecture of churches interesting and I like looking at the stuff inside but once the service starts I feel isolated. I could go to the Episcopal church down the street (which is LGBT friendly) but there is still the issue I have with how salvation is interpreted and how it feels like i'm being told that all my friends of different or no religion are going straight to hell.

18. galaxygia

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    They make me very uncomfortable. I never want to set foot in one again. Someone I love has been hurt by them and thinking of her brings more pain. So all in all churches are just one big pain fest for me.

19. yukisan

Out Status:
    Some people
    Churches don't necessarily make me feel that uncomfortable, but the feeling that people in a church wouldn't be accepting of me as my true self makes me anxious. I've always wanted to go to an Unitarian Universalist church, however.

20. FalconBlueSky00

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I like churches for the architecture. Their nice right up until hateful things start comeing out of the preacher or preist mouth. That doesn't always happen though. There's a preist where I live that gives beautiful talks on having compassion for everyone.