1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General News The Lord's Prayer in UK Cinemas Debate

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Connorcode, Nov 22, 2015.

1. Ryu

Ryu

Why? They've paid there money to get these 'adverts' shown, they should still be allowed to be shown, surely. They aren't offending anybody, unless they're atheist extremists or something down right stupid like that, so why can't they be shown?

Just for the record I don't want to watch these adverts at a cinema, but ^.

2. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'll declare that I am an active member of the Church of England, but I'm not coming to this thread to argue about the ad or get into a back and forth about atheism v religion. It seems to me that all of those arguments have been done to death. All I will say is that banning the ad has attracted far more interest and traffic than showing it would have done. Just look at this thread. If the ad had been show in in UK cinemas without any fuss, would even be discussing it here? I very much doubt it.

There is something very counter-productive to banning advertisements. A ban usually results in even more attention and debate.

3. Aldrick

This is true. In this way it's a win-win no matter what for the Church of England. If they had gotten what they wanted, their ads would have been displayed before one of the most highly anticipated movies in recent memory. If they failed (which they did), then they get to throw themselves on the cross and pretend to be persecuted (despite the same rules applying equally to everyone). This, naturally, attracts media attention, which in turn generates discussion like the one we're having here. This means that people still get to see the ad, though perhaps not as many, but it saves them from having to actually pay. As a bonus, people who are predisposed to view them in a sympathetic light might be even more predisposed to visit the website they've set up.

Really, they couldn't lose no matter the outcome.

4. Open Arms

Open Arms Guest

I most certainly didn't say there are billions of Christians in the world Aldrick. I said there are billions of people of all religions throughout the world who pray.

I also didn't say people who don't encourage their children to pray are bad parents. I think people who don't give their children a chance to choose a faith or not choose a faith of their own are bad. Let's face it, often parents don't really give their kids that chance (on both sides). If you predispose or teach your children to hate anyone due to their race, gender, religion or different opinions... yes, I believe you are a bad parent.

Say anything in support of anything religious on here, and out come the people who like to argue. It never fails! It took a 17-yr old to point out we must be respectful of people with religions beliefs on this forum. Thank you Xfinity.

As for Aldrick, I'm not arguing with you because you aren't interested in building bridges from what I can see... not even with a PRO-GAY bisexual Christian.

---------- Post added 27th Nov 2015 at 04:24 PM ----------

If you don't think you are disrespectful when you say this on a public forum Aldrick, you're fooling yourself.

You feel it's OK if you say this, but not OK when conservative Christians insult homosexuality with all kinds of nasty comments. Double standard for sure.

Aldrick said:

"My point of view is simple. Religion is like a penis. It's fine to have one, it's fine to be proud of it, but please don't whip it out and start waving it around in public, and please don't try and shove it down my or any children's throats."