1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General News The Lord's Prayer in UK Cinemas Debate

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Connorcode, Nov 22, 2015.

1. Connorcode

Connorcode Guest

Article:
    Video: Church of England: banning Lord's Prayer adverts will have a 'chilling' effect on free speech - Telegraph

Now, the advert isn't offensive at all and I understand that very few people are likely to be offended by it, but why should any cinema show an advert completely unrelated to any film (or product linked to a film)? I know this situation isn't the same everywhere in the UK, but at the Cineworld I go to, the ads are all film-related or related at least to the cinema experience.

2. ThatBorussenGuy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'll just say this: if I wanted religion, I'd go to church. People go to a cinema to watch movies, not sermons. So I agree with your point; when in a cinema, keep it to film-related adverts. Nobody wants to be preached at when going to see a movie.

#2 ThatBorussenGuy, Nov 22, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2015
  3. WhereWeWere

WhereWeWere Guest

Pretty much summed it up.

4. Kira

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I agree 100%, this sounds like the sort of crazy stuff you'd expect from the U.S.

5. Open Arms

Open Arms Guest

Come on people. Get real! There are lots of ads at a theatre not at all related to the film or to your life.

I put up with all kinds of ads at a theatre which I don't like and have no interest in. We do it all the time.

#5 Open Arms, Nov 22, 2015
  6. Foz

Foz Guest

I don't think a cinema which here charges £8.50 to see a film should have any adverts, let alone 20-30 mins of the bastards. So I don't believe there should be anything with an objective message, there would be plenty of pissed off people if they sat down with their popcorn only to hear "and now follows a party political broadcast by the Conservative party".

7. Aldrick

I usually love these types of situations. It is almost always a case of Christian special pleading. They WANT to feel persecuted. I mean, fuck, their entire religion is based around a guy that was essentially being tortured to death and who died a martyr for the cause. That's their starting point.

Where their mask begins to slip, and you realize it is a case of special pleading, is when you judge their reactions by allowing OTHER groups to do the same thing. For example, allowing atheist groups to advertise before movies. Or even better, Muslim or Satanist groups to advertise before movies. Watch how they get all hot and bothered over that, and then threaten to boycott. That's how you know these cases are all cases of special pleading.

That is always my test for these cases: How would they react if an Atheist/Muslim/Satanist/Pagan were allowed to do the same thing?

8. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Lol, a state church complaining that not being advertised in private cinemas is an example of censorship.

9. BiPenguin

The whole three monotheist religions piss me off. I have no time for them.

10. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Then if this is true, then why show *any* advert unrelated to films? You can't just go saying ''we like this one'' and put it in, and then ''we don't like this one'' and not - it has to be either yes to all or no to all.

My opinion, anyway.

''release us our sins for we forgive those who trespass against us'' - are orthodox Christians now saying they forgive [or want to be forgiven] and completely accept LGBT?

And every single thing on TV has a hidden message, you can't escape it, even ''The Zygon Inversion'' from 'Doctor Who' (P. Newman and V. Lambert et al.) had a hidden message.

Nobody on here complained with the ''I am your father'' soup campaign, where two dads feeding their kid soup talking about Star Wars has nothing to do with soup.

So basically all or nothing, you decide. I really don't care which, as long as it's equal.

#10 Secrets5, Nov 22, 2015
  11. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    UK cinemas aren't allowed to show religious or political advertisements. The Church of England is no exception.

12. xfinitycomcast

Near me, there is a cinema, it's a smaller cinema company but still a company nonetheless (Reading Cinemas). They don't show any film trailers at all and they're all local ads. I'm not sure which ones are better though because at least with film trailers I know what movies I want to see next.

13. GeeLee

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Good luck proselytizing to a group of people that have accepted Obi Wan Kenobi as their Lord and saviour

14. Aldrick

Apparently, you haven't seen the new adverts they are putting out.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. GeeLee

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Red cross is upside down, clearly it's being wielded by a Satanist.

16. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    In the 2001 census 0.8% of people said that Jedi was their religion, making it the 4th largest religion in the UK.

17. 741852963

Now I personally would prefer a cinema experience without religion (I'm sort of Christian myself, but it is a bit of a "deep" topic for what should be a relaxing evening out), and film-related adverts only.

For me it depends. If there are any none film related adverts (for products, services, hotels etc), I wouldn't have a massive problem with this advert - it is just another advert for something to buy, do or be part of - we might not want to "buy" but we have a free choice. But Christians would then have no right to kick off about other religions advertising (say an Islam themed advert or a "Happy Hanukkah" one).

A big one for me though: is it a young children's film? I think perhaps they could have an "age rating" for adverts of this kind. Perhaps only showing them to teens and older (so in 12 rated films or upwards).

If the cinema chain only shows film-related adverts (things like the ridiculously numerous Spectre product placement ads, cinema related snacks, trailers) then it isn't the time and place so no.

#17 741852963, Nov 23, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2015
  18. Joelouis

Actually, being a Tory myself I wouldn't mind it as much as some of the other adverts. I'm more pissed off with the price of the popcorn!

#18 Joelouis, Nov 24, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2015
  19. GeeLee

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
  20. Im Hazel

Why would anyone pay for this? Aren't Christians about helping the poor, not wasting money on shitty adverts?