1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you retain the beliefs/religion you were born into?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Kodo, Nov 20, 2015.

1. CyanChachki

Lol, no. I mean, my parents weren't really strict or anything, but they did set some strict beliefs and I just kinda grew out of them.

2. Spider

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Nope. I read enough of the Bible to know that the Christian god is amazingly cruel and not fit for worship. Let's just say I view genocide as a no-no.

3. PurlpleAurora

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I was born into this not particularly religious family. When I was younger, I remember my family having my sister and I go to church with them. I disliked it. I didn't find it fun, or enjoyable, and event the age of 6 or 7 I was not impressionable enough learn or except the churches values. event that age I thought the whole idea was silly.

eventually, and thankfully, my family stopped going for whatever reason. At the age of 15 I started researching pegan and wiccan ideas and beliefs. This is what hit home for me. I stuck with it, and I am happy calling myself a pegan.

4. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Nope. Raised by a hardcore Methodist zealot mother and a non-practicing Catholic father. I grew up in s Methodist church and came out as an atheist right around age 15. The reaction I got to that is one of the same reasons I still haven't come out as gay to my family.

#64 AwesomGaytheist, Nov 23, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2015
  5. ChicoFranco

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Big YES

---------- Post added 23rd Nov 2015 at 08:42 AM ----------

I was raised catholic and still retain my beliefs however I grow more and more doubtful of the bible and i trust God to speak to me through my heart. I don't need past stories although they at times offer guidelines to everyday life. Lets just say i read the bible but only when i need to. Was once agnostic. didn't know where to put my foot.

6. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Pretty much. I grew up in a very remote, rural area, and my parents didn't go to church or talk about religion, so whatever beliefs I've developed I did on my own, a sort of pagan reverence for the earth, you could say.

So in the sense that none of us are religious, yes.

7. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Not really. I'm from a non-practicing Christian household, and I went to church with my friends on my own terms (mostly because I was bored on Sundays). I think sometime before I was 13, I was a deist, then came out as an atheist sometime later. These days, I think naturalistic paganism strikes a chord in me and suits me more.

8. LogicNoSense

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was born Catholic. Supposed to, at least. Never been baptised. Gone (going) to a Catholic school but brought up on Buddhism. When I was younger I was all about the faith-Catholicism. But as I grew older, I was filled with questions and doubts about my faith. Probably happened after I read a book which addressed those issues. Anyway, my mom never brought my sis and I to church. (My grandma and aunt are Buddhists, my mom a Catholic (supposedly), my father a free-thinker and my godmother a Christian. The major religious influences.) A year later, I finally decided to become a free-thinker, because of what decisions my doubts led me to. But now I consider myself atheist after jumping from religion to another (Wica, for one), and managed to pull myself out of my school Catholic class (somehow or other, without my parent's knowledge) on the basis that I'm an atheist now. T'was the happiest day about religion.

9. AgenderMoose

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Religiously, not at all. Belief and moral code, somewhat.

See, half of my family is Free-will Baptist, and the other half is Catholic. Sure, once my parents got divorced and I started staying with my mom most of the time, religion dissipated, but the point still stands on what I was born into. And now I'm...kind of Pagan. ...Oops?

On the other hand, I do share some of the same morals/ideas as my mother. My dad and I are polar opposites on beliefs, though. As I've been growing, my mom has always let me go to develop my own opinions and ideas, hence I've changed quite a bit from what I was whenever I was a small child.

10. MusicNotes

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Nope. I'm agnostic, but even though I've told my Parents I don't want to go to Church they drag me along to even more things.

I might have stayed a Christian had they just gave me a break from it, instead they shoved it down my throat which made me hate it more than I ever had before.

#70 MusicNotes, Nov 24, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2015
  11. Contact1111

Contact1111 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    My sexuality did not change my religious beliefs, but my religious beliefs have definitely been drastically altered as a result of my ingestion of various mind altering substances. I used to believe the standard religious "scripts" that were handed to me. I saw that there actually is no right or wrong religion. They all have their merits. I believe that the Christian "God" is in fact the entire universe itself. Also, I feel that we are all part of this God, this hive mind. I also do believe in an afterlife, and oddly enough this model actually does not negate any of the world's religious beliefs of the afterlife. Like I said, I'm not encouraging these substances be used.

12. breq

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Ahahahaha! No.

13. Ram90

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't like the beliefs of my religion which impose restrictions based on Sex, Caste, Religion or Gender. But I do follow the other beliefs. I like to pick and choose.

14. Mahidevran

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I was born in a Christian family, and I guess my mother is still very religious (I can see some hypocrisy in her faith, though). My father says he's a believer, but doesn't practice.
    I have never been very religious. I have seen and experienced much in my life, and all of it - mainly my gender identity - has been making me wonder if a merciful God would create some who are doomed to suffer since forever? It's just my personal thought, I consider myself atheist.
    I'm not against religious people, though. As long as they don't force their beliefs on me.

15. painter1234

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    So, I definitely think questioning my sexuality has had an influence in how I view religion. I go to a religious school, were there is gay people but no publically gay people and I think a large part of that is due to what we are taught in religious studies, although we are taught to love everyone and that gay people are good people, we are to taught that it is a sin to act on your sexuality and have sexual relationships with someone of the same sex. I believe religion can act in a way to control people. I think now I believe in God but not religion, there cant be some angry man in the sky who is going to send good people to hell just because they are gay. At the moment, this could change, but I believe there is a superior being who created the world but, not the one we are thought about, not the one who hates people that he created and hates the attributes that he gives us.

16. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Same here. I'm not really sure what my parents believe. Occasionally when I younger my mom made my family go to church on days like Christmas and Easter.

It's funny because both my parents grow up in households that were pretty religious, praying before meals and going to church multiple times a week, but I can never remember them saying/doing anything that confirmed what they personally believed.

17. thepandaboss

Not really. But then again my family really wasn't that religious anyway. Parents both believed in God and they'd pray once in a while. But we never really went to church and we never really kept around Bibles. It was still a huge shock to my mom when I decided I was an atheist though.

18. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    If you mean Catholic guilt, then sure. Also get tired of all the pedophile jokes thrown around lightly. Other than that, not really.

19. Libra Neko

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I was raised by secular liberal parents. Yes, I'm still that way.

20. Natasha Elyssa

I'm more open-minded and try to be understanding of all religious and spiritual things. :slight_smile:

I was born into Catholicism, but I definitely do not conform to it. ^-^ <3