1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gay Stereotypes!

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by mychemromance99, Nov 17, 2015.

1. mychemromance99

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Okay some of this may sound ignorant, but read ahead!
    So I've been reading about gaydars, the gay lisp etc and I'm totally annoyed by some streotypes like the limp wrist etc.
    Its just plain annoying.
    People judge others on the sole basis of their walk!
    I overheard someone saying,"Oh, he walks like some diva, so gay".
    I was plain irritated.
    So I went on and read about the streotypes and an alarming number of statistics show that people guess other's sexualities based on these stereotypes and they are correct!
    What's your opinion?

2. baconpox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm bi, but I fit almost every gay stereotype: I crossdress, I have a lisp, a limp wrist, I strut, and I like Celine Dion and fashion. In some cases I'm glad because nobody's shocked when I say I'm bi so it takes away a lot of the anxiety. In other cases, it's not good because I sometimes am treated poorly because of it.

3. hapa

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I don't know, I think most gays don't actually fit the stereotype.

For example I'm gay, but I have terrible fashion sense, I don't "strut", I'm ugly as fuk, I don't have a lisp, my voice isn't effeminate, I don't like musicals or romantic films etc. etc.

4. Plattyrex

IDK, pretty much every group has stereotypes surrounding them. I don't think it's good, but you kinda get that with everything.

5. Steve FS

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    From my experience, I see it like this:

Not every gay guy fits the stereotypes, BUT the ones that DO fit the stereotypes tend to be everything but straight.

I hope that makes sense.

6. Skaros

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Well, I think the so-called "lisp" is more of a biological thing rather than a stereotype. Gay men do use some parts of their brain that the opposite sex uses, so it would make sense for some feminine attributes like a feminine walk.

Now, I do have sort of a "gay voice", but for some reason most people don't realize it. Only I realize it whenever I hear myself on a voice recording. Overall, I don't fit some of these stereotypes, but I do think some stereotypes exist for a reason--reason being that many gay men do fit the stereotypes.

Gay voice is definitely real and very common, but that's the only consistent "stereotype" I can think of.

7. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I really find it quite tiresome that they aren't consistent.

Am I conniving and tricky or am I weak and docile?

Am I debauched or am I unrealistically sophisticated?

Can I cook gorgeously or am I hindered in domestic life by my inability to connect with women and what is clearly naturally their realm?

Really, there ought to be a conference for the standardisation of homophobic/heterosexist beliefs.

#7 Aussie792, Nov 17, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2015
  8. guitar

"I generally avoid gay stereotypes the way a West Hollywood twink avoids solid food."

I think since I've gone through the acceptance and coming out process of being gay, I have grown into more stereotypically gay things, but I'm still a far cry from what might be considered a stereotype. Most people have no idea I'm gay when they first meet me.

Skaros's post about the brain might offer some ways I'm more stereotypical: I'm not the greatest with directions/map reading, I've always hated getting dirty/messy (could just be my inner visual learner).

By the way, if you're interested in this topic, I would highly recommend a documentary called Brainwash: Gay/Straight. In it they showcase a study looking at gay men's mannerisms and "Gaydar" accuracy.

9. guitar

"I generally avoid gay stereotypes the way a West Hollywood twink avoids solid food."

I think since I've gone through the acceptance and coming out process of being gay, I have grown into more stereotypically gay things, but I'm still a far cry from what might be considered a stereotype. Most people have no idea I'm gay when they first meet me.

Skaros's post about the brain might offer some ways I'm more stereotypical: I'm not the greatest with directions/map reading, I've always hated getting dirty/messy (could just be my inner visual learner).

By the way, if you're interested in this topic, I would highly recommend a documentary called Brainwash: Gay/Straight. In it they showcase a study looking at gay men's mannerisms and "Gaydar" accuracy.

10. Jellal

I couldn't agree more.

11. Mariliss

Basically what stevefs said.
    The thing about gaydars though, I don't think I usually go off of stereotypes, but instead there's like this.. feeling, not sure how to explain it. I like to think that my gaydar is pretty accurate, sometimes knowing someone isn't straight before they do. One of my useless talents I guess.

#11 Mariliss, Nov 18, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2015
  12. mychemromance99

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    All but family

Thanks, I'll give the documentary a shot :slight_smile:

13. GayBoyBG

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Haha, same for me. Though I did cry on "The Fault in our stars" =/

14. Canterpiece

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well I guess I go against the stereotype here, since I'm a lesbian and I am terrible with maps. :eusa_doh: I feel your pain. I don't mind getting dirty or messy though if I'm wearing old clothes, if not then no thanks. :lol:

15. Ram90

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Oh my gosh! I totally have seen this. I don't appreciate gay stereotyping at all. But I can't help it in some scenarios like when I start watching a new show or movie I can't help think that a guy or girl is homosexual because of their mannerisms. I know that's kinda ironic but that's how it goes.

I've experienced a sense of this online. I was friends with a group of people online on another forum some months ago. All of us were moderators for that forum and met several times a week online in group chats.

One time after a chat was over one of the guys messaged me separately and asked me if I was gay. He was openly gay so I didn't get offended but I said I wasn't sure but thought I might be.

He said that he thought I was gay because I was talking to others in a concerned way being all motherly when I asked them how they were and taking into account people's feelings while posting. I was like WTF. Does that automatically make me gay? I didn't know whether to be offended or not. I still don't

16. KoffeeMonster

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Everyone doesn't fit in the stereotypical category that everybody who probably doesn't understand the gay community sees as their main view of these people, Gay or Lesbian. I agree with a lot of the comments I've seen in this forum. It's kind of ridiculous and offensive to some. All I can say for my side is, what really defines being gay? It's really the person and who they are. Most stereotypes see gays as feminine males who are flamboyant in personality and are a little 'too out there.' Gays, like everybody, can have their own spectrum. They can be feminine, or incredibly masculine - even anywhere in between. For some of these stereotypes, I think media fuels them to the point some people think it's true... It's kind of sad, actually.

17. Open Arms

Open Arms Guest

I took a test a couple of years ago which showed the walks of various people. I got the gay and hetero ones correct (something like 90% correct). I could not distinguish the lesbians from the straights. This is not hocus pocus; there is a biological basis for this.
    A lot of gay men do have mannerisms and a voice inflection which are dead giveaways.
    Not all though by any means.

Just be you! Doesn't matter if you have stereotypical gay traits or not.

18. Ryu

Ryu

I'm bi, pan, poly, whatever, I can't be bothered anymore, and I am not a stereotypical gay guy. I can't stand pop, I don't give two tosses about fashion or my appearance, I'm a cynical bastard, I hate pretty much everybody, I have a pretty foul mouth, I can't dance, etcetera etcetera.

19. Magenta Mucus

Me and my bestie, we sometimes make fun of the stereotypes just for the heck of it. On my old forum I knew a completely straight guy who had basically every single stereotype ever applied to gay people, and yet he was just that: completely straight. I, myself, have a few of these"

I lisp when I'm very nervous or talking fast
    I cross my legs out of habit when I sit
    I have a limp right wrist (everyone in my hostel room says it feels kind of good to sit with a limp wrist)
    I care about what I wear, as in a lot.

But, I have a very interesting face!

20. VideoGAYmer

VideoGAYmer Guest

As much as I disagree with stereotypes, I can't really say much, I fit quite a lot of stereotypes.

I hate sports.:icon_wink
    My wrist is... Broken. :icon_wink
    I talk way too quick for my own good:icon_wink
    I act quite feminine:icon_wink
    And the list goes on.

But you really shouldn't use stereotypes to judge any thing, they're usually wrong.

Now that I think about it there are a few stereotypes I don't fit in like:

I don't give a flying f**k about fashion
    Dancing is one of the thing o hate the most and...
    I find it very hard to show emotions and I can't feel sympathy

Some stereotypes I don't fit.

#20 VideoGAYmer, Dec 1, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2015