1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Would you come out to your parents alone or with someone by your side?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by hedgehog, Nov 15, 2015.

1. hedgehog

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Title says it all.

I'm just wondering how I should come out to my parents because I have no idea how they will react so if I have someone next to me, they can't get mad right? But then it's a very touchy topic maybe it should be done alone?

I don't know, what's your opinion?

2. questions4ever

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    In general, I would suggest coming out to them by yourself, but it depends on the situation. Are you close with your parents? The only time it would be helpful to have someone else there is if they might get angry or have a real negative reaction. Test the waters. Bring up LGBT people casually and see what they have to say. Make sure you set aside enough time to seriously sit down to talk and confide in them.

3. DinelodiiGitli

It depends.
    Probably coming out by yourself would be best but if there's a major chance of them reacting negatively (i.e. severe homophobia, transphobia, etc.) then doing so with a friend my be a good idea.

4. bubbles123

bubbles123 Guest

Another option if you don't want to tell them face-to-face could be writing them a letter if you feel that would work better.

5. hedgehog

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thank you guys for your responses. Bubbles123, I have written them a letter already that I hope to give them some time soon, but it's just their response that I'm afraid of.

My parents aren't against LGBT+ people, but because we never talk about it, I don't know how their response will be. I have mentioned people such as Elton John or Caitlyn Jenner who are part of the LGBT+ family, and they seem to put up with it but they won't say anything bad about it but I feel like they're hiding negative words if that makes sense?

6. Charon

Charon Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Alone, just like I did all those years ago. :slight_smile: