1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Who would you first come out to?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Linus, Nov 14, 2015.

?

Who would you first come out to?

1. Mom

17 vote(s)
    8.3%
  2. Dad

2 vote(s)
    1.0%
  3. Sister (If you have one)

13 vote(s)
    6.3%
  4. Brother (If you have one)

4 vote(s)
    1.9%
  5. Best Friend

118 vote(s)
    57.3%
  6. Therapist

7 vote(s)
    3.4%
  7. Relative

5 vote(s)
    2.4%
  8. Crush

10 vote(s)
    4.9%
  9. Random person or aquaintence

17 vote(s)
    8.3%
  10. Other

13 vote(s)
    6.3%
  1. ruby421

i told my best friend first, and when it comes to family i am planning on telling my big sister first

2. StarlessSky

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have been discussing my sexuality with my counsellor. The first person I actually came out to was my French teacher (last week). I just happen to have serious feelings for her and is one of the few people I trust.

3. Rubysaphire

The three people I came out to were my friends. Mostly because they were part of the lbgt community.

#43 Rubysaphire, Dec 7, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2015
  4. DougTheBicycle

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The first person I ever talked to about being bi was a very close friend from high school. He is one of my closest friends, and is gay. He has helped me through quite a lot.

5. oliverouge

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I told my best friend first. now currently i am out to her family and it so awesome because everytime i come over there they call me Olive

6. DemiLiHue

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My bestie. And it wasn't really a come out. It was like "hey you know, I also like girls" and he was like "oh ok"

LoL

7. Ali6132

The first people I came out to were my friends. Mostly at lunch, but first in an Instagram group with a few of them that have Instagram (which turned into me and one of my friends talking about depression and her past suicide attempt in private messages.) And they were all accepting of me. Two lesbians, an ace, a panromantic genderfluid ace, a pansexual, a possible bisexual, and a few supportive straight people are most likely going to support me.
    I came out to my mom only because she found out I had a tumblr (by going through my messages with my friends on my iPad), and I felt the stupid need to come out. I think she might have told my dad, but I don't know. All I know is that she thinks I'm just saying I'm ace to fit in with my friends. I haven't told her about being gray-romantic yet. And probably never will. She's invalidating me, so I'm not coming out any farther to her.
    So yeah, came out to my friends first. Regretting coming out to my mom. I thought I could trust her and that she'd be supportive. Stupid homophobic family.

8. PurpleMushroom

I first came out to my crush, I pretty much just said it casualy one day and she said she was cool with it as long as I didnt try to kiss her.

9. cheerlesbo

cheerlesbo Guest

I came out to my sister first because she is my best friend c:

10. badger

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I first came out to a therapist. It was the best decision I could have made. I wanted to be sure what I was doing was right for me and that I went over everything I was going through in my head with someone unrelated to my personal life and could only help me think through things. I then told my best friend, then my mom, then dad, then sister, then two other friends. To each his own, but the way mine turned out was extremely thought out

11. Tritri

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    There is only one person so far (excluding people online, and myself) who I know for sure knows that I am gay (see my out status). Yeah, a teacher. I regret what I did to make the conversation start. She really made me feel awful about it. But I'm glad that I talked to somebody in a knowingly serious manner about this, and she is one I would trust. There is no option for a teacher or the like, so I picked "other".

#51 Tritri, Feb 17, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2016
  12. Fehu

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I first came out to my best friend because I know I can talk to her about everything. I also did it relatively early when I was still questioning myself and she helped me a lot. Then I came out to some friends who know both me and my girlfriend because I was quite sure they would accept it and it really helps if you can be open and just yourselves around your friends and don't need to hide anything. I still haven't come out to other friends or my family, but things are a bit complicated and I want to take some more time until telling them.

13. 10chaz1926

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Believe it or not I actually came out to my teacher first. We had always had a great relationship so I told her and asked her what I should do. The next was my mom as she is the closest person to me. After then I told all of my friends together.

#53 10chaz1926, Feb 18, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2016
  14. E H Wildflower

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    All but family
    The first person that I came out to about my sexuality was my best fiend at the time, because I felt like I had to tell someone and I knew she'd be cool about it. She didn't say a lot, but later she told me "Not to be insensitive, but I don't care. It just doesn't matter to me."

A few years later, I got to be really close with my cousin, who kinda figured out that I was not cis before I did. I can't remember what prompted her to ask me point-blank "Do you identify as female?", but she was skeptical when I replied with a noncommittal "Eh, sorta."

I ended up coming out as nonbinary for the first time when I was in the car with my cousin and my current best friend.

#54 E H Wildflower, Feb 18, 2016
  15. GayIsOk

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I came out to friends, not my best friend first. I came out to all friends before I came out to my parents.

16. Aberrance

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I came out to one of my close friends as non-binary about a year ago because I knew she was accepting of trans people and I needed to tell someone. She acknowledged it but nothing really came of it.

I'm planning to tell my best friend that I'm trans tomorrow and I'm bricking it, I really am terrified.

#56 Aberrance, Feb 18, 2016
  17. funsized

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I first came out to my best friend. He knew me so well and he had all my trust. I knew I could tell him anything. He's like my brother so it came natural to tell him although I did take my time. He supports me through it all.

18. FrogFriend

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I came out to my best friends first. My school counselors are not the best for "personal issues", I don't have access to a therapist or anything like that, I'm not entirely sure how my family will respond, and my crush is a very quiet, strict-Christian-raised girl who I'm pretty sure is straight and not even allowed to date boys.

19. animegeek

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Technically i first told the samaritans anonymously via email and then i mustered up the courage to tell my best friend who i had only met online and we are still friends and she has been very supportive of me. I never plan to tell my family because they are very unaccepting of all lgbt people, especially gender non conforming people and non binary people.

20. mx Jim

i first came out online because no one who knows me IRL reads my blog or goes to the same forums as me. later i found out one of my best friends is really supportive of minorities so i eventually came out to him as well. i'm trying to avoid directly telling it to other people, but i've been throwing a lot of hints around for the last year or so lol