1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it weird to talk to your pet? (boredom question..)

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Melody31153, Nov 14, 2015.

1. Melody31153

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    So i'm just asking this question out of boredom and curiosity. I recently have been taking care of a cat I named "Checker" and I see her every other day when I go outside. She is a stray and don't worry she is clean (I made sure of that). In a way she is kinda like a best friend I've never really had lol. I feed and pet her every chance I get, and once I get the money I will buy some things to groom her and keep her sheltered from the rain.
    I like to talk to her as if she was a living human being and she normally rubs her head in my hands and sits on my lap. Idk if she is listening or not but it feels like she does lol.The funny thing is that I was never really a cat person until I met her. I kinda feel it is a little weird to be talking to her like I do sometimes. Is it like weird or out of the ordinary to talk to pets or animals in general. People look at me like im crazy when I'm with her and lord knows if my parents knew about her I would never see her again lol. Idk if this is a wierd topic or not but like I said it is just out of boredom and curiosity. Does anyone else talk to their pets like they're a human being or is it just me?

#1 Melody31153, Nov 14, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2015
  2. WhereWeWere

WhereWeWere Guest

No, it's not. I talk to my dog and my cat all of the time! It's especially nice because my dog understands a lot of English words. Simple words, but yeah. "Sammy" (her name), "Sit" "Stay" "Lay down", "Gimme paw" "Play dead" "Roll over" "Come" "Walk" "Chicken" "Treat" "Potty" "Chip" (cat's name) "Go" as well as my name and the rest of my immediate family's names. For example, she could be sitting on my dad's lap and he could say "Go see (insert brother's name here)." he could be sitting down in the kitchen doing homework and she would go bother him.

So yes, it is possible to talk to animals and actually say something they understand, and not seem crazy! Even though most things I say to my pets are probably absolute nonsense in their heads, it's completely normal. I'd think you were weird if somebody didn't talk to their pets, honestly.

3. Melody31153

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    well I'm just glad to know im not the only one who talks to animals.

4. Commenza

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Lots of people talk to their pets, including myself. I have 3 birds (the 4th died a couple of weeks ago :frowning2:) and to me, it seems like they like it when I talk to them. They can be chirping and chattering, once I talk to them, they get quiet and look at me and then they often close their eyes as if they were gonna fall asleep. I actually like to sing them lullabies in the evening and sometimes, they chirp along quietly. So cute!

#4 Commenza, Nov 14, 2015
  5. Rainbows~Exist

I talk to my dog all the time! But mostly in incoherent and childish babble :lol:

6. DinelodiiGitli

Nah, I talk to my dog, hermit crab and turtle pretty often.
    As long as they aren't responding I'd say you're normal. :wink:

7. thepandaboss

Birds are pretty social animals so it's definitely encouraged with them to be paid attention to and chatted with.

What might not be normal is the fact that I talk to my betta fish...

8. WolfyFluff

WolfyFluff Guest

No, absolutely not weird

9. rudysteiner

I talk to my dog more than I do the rest of my family hahaha

10. setnyx

i don't have pets anymore but when i did i talked to them alot. i had 1 cat Binx who i confided in & who comforted me on many occasions. he would jump up on my lap & lick my tears & rub his face on mine. i believe they understand speech better than some people think. definitely our feelings.

11. Quem

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I love talking to my budgies, they seem to appreciate it as well. If you talk to them, they might close their eyes and sometimes move even closer to you. =]

#11 Quem, Nov 14, 2015
  12. Melody31153

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Wow! I didn't know so many people talked to animals. Thanks guys.

13. thepandaboss

It's the tone of voice and your inflection, not necessarily the words themselves. So your dog may associate you yelling and pointing at him with anger but he won't necessarily understand that you're mad at him because he pooped in your kitchen. Which is why disciplining animals like cats and dogs doesn't really work. They'll respond better to positive reinforcement.

If your cat notices you're sitting down, a little mopey, and otherwise unoccupied, that's something your cat will probably grow to associate with a lot of scratches behind the ear and petting.

I've personally got a dog, three cats, and a betta fish as of right now. In fact I'm not even sure that the fish perceives me. He'll patrol the tank and sometimes react to stuff outside. He'll immediately swim to the surface if I lift the lid to the tank because it usually means I'm feeding him.

So animals do learn to associate certain behaviors with certain things they can learn to expect. If I put my coat on and start calling over the dog, she'll know that it's time for her walk.

14. PatrickUK

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    On many different levels, pets help us to cope with the stresses and strains of life and I have heard from people with depression who get an awful lot out of talking to their pet/s. Having a pet helps them to manage better and it seems to improve health outcomes. So no, it's not weird at all. Talking to pets can have a very positive impact on our lives.

15. Jellal

When I'm visiting home I love to talk to my cat. What's really funny is that from experience I do feel bad about saying negative things to her even if she can't understand, and it feels much nicer to say kind things. Also, even if she doesn't know the words she is very good at reading tone of voice, so speaking to her kinda is like a form of communication for me.

#15 Jellal, Nov 14, 2015
  16. Batman

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Weird? Yes. Uncommon? Not at all :grin:

17. Charon

Charon Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
  18. waitwhat

waitwhat Guest

I talk to animals all the time, even if they're not my animals. I work at an aquarium and talk to the fish everyday. I tell animals things I would never tell a person.

19. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    What would be weird is if the cat, dog, or fish talks back in human English...

It's been a long time since I had a pet, but when I did, I'd talk to him or her. And I still will talk to pets of others whom I'm know. I do draw the line, though, at pets I just met. I might tell someone he or she has a nice dog, but it would be a little odd to bend down and start a conversation with the dog.

The vet who took care of most of our animals when growing up apparently did tell my mother once that he was convinced that pets can understand more of what we say than we give them credit for.

20. BigGayAlex

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I talk to my peacock a lot, usually saying his name "NBC" and making peacock calls. I love making wild bird whistles too! It seems once they hear certain tunes they will come closer and sing with you. Not the peacock tho. He usually just looks at me and wants his peanuts (that I literally hand feed to him) or goes about his business. He is a very intelligent bird; many say they are the German Shepard of the bird world and I believe it. He will check out something in the yard if it seems out of place and scream if he really dislikes something/someone.

I will also talk to my Siamese cat (who also is extremely intelligent) and Morkie dog (who is the exact opposite).