1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Getting HRT without parental permission

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by CyberStar, Nov 13, 2015.

1. CyberStar

My parents are just being as difficult as possible. They won't have ANY part of my transition, and are forcing me to be as make as possible. I can't keep doing this. SOMEBODY in that house is going to have to break.

I've heard, in my conversations with friends, that I might be able to get HRT without their consent. Does anybody know how this might work? (I'm 17 and turn 18 in January, by the way, and I live in Colorado.)

2. randomconnorcon

18 is generally when you don't need consent, because you're an adult in the eyes of the law. It will probably make things difficult if you still live at home, financially or for yourself, they might be able to stop things, but in theory you can do as you wish in terms of continuing your transition once you reach 18.

3. CyberStar

I've thought about this, but one thing that worries me is that my mom said that just because I turn 18 don't think I'm getting a job. She's hell-bent on keeping me out of the workforce because in South Carolina, I used some of the money from my job to buy electronics and some to buy girl clothes. And according to her "my house my rules" policy, I can't get a job if she won't allow me. Is that even legally possible? That's something that worries me because I only have $200 in my account, and I know for sure that's not enough money to even make it from my birthday to college.

4. randomconnorcon

She can't keep you from actually getting a job, as long as you can get out of the house to get it and then be able to go to it. But she can, in theory, either keep you in (which you can report, and I hope someone can do something about it) or kick you out (which will suck immensely, unless you have somewhere you can go, like a friend, then it might be safer for you in the long run).

5. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    She can't keep you from working. But (and this is a big but) she can dictate the rules, once you are 18, as to how things work in her house.

So, for example, she can say "If you get a job, you owe me rent of x dollars, and payment for food of y dollars, and you need to pay for your own phone, car insurance, gas, etc." Which... you probably can't afford. So in that way, she can effectively control you. She couldn't keep you from getting a doctor to prescribe hormones and starting your transition, but she could demand most or all of your money making it difficult to pay for your treatment.

The best option is to try and get independence (which means getting a decent paying job and an inexpensive place to stay, perhaps a shared room in a group house) as soon as you can.

6. CyberStar

What she said exactly is, "you're not getting a job in this house". If I get a job, she told me she's going to go to the courthouse and get an eviction warrant.

7. thepandaboss

Well, you're still under 18. I think Child Services should be given a call...

8. DaemonC

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I agree. Especially if you feel you are in any danger. Its really sad that she is that unsupportive. I hope things get better for you.

9. CyberStar

The thing is, she's flat out not letting me get a job now. When I'm 18, she can't legally stop me. But she told me that once I'm 18 if I get a job then she'll evict me. This was immediately after I told her that if she won't help me get HRT then I'd wait until I was 18 then pay for it myself because I really didn't know how much longer I could stand being male with no progress forward.

In any case, last night she was telling me again that if I drag other people into this (she'd just found my account on another LGBT forum), then she'd evict me anyway because "she's not going to stand for this here".

And then she spent several hours crying in her room this morning. Over " bashing her" (ie saying things like she won't let me get a job to pay for HRT, what do I do; or she's just flat out screaming at me over wanting to get a new name how do I deal with this).

*sigh* It's like this every time. I can't be critical or ask others for help in dealing with them, or else I'm being horrible and "bashing them".

I don't know. I'm not sure which is worse: being homeless in winter in Colorado or dealing with them forcing me to be as " manly" as possible even though I've been diagnosed with MDD and they know my gender dysphoria is one of the factors. I mean, I love my parents but sometimes they can be sooo dense (yelling at me for being suicidal, for instance, and telling me I'm not allowed to get help for it).

#9 CyberStar, Nov 14, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2015
  10. thepandaboss

I don't want to speak bad about your parent but...her behavior really concerns me. Seems very unbalanced. I'm glad you're sticking to your guns (so to speak) and standing your ground.

The fact that she also won't let you receive necessary medical help for suicidal idealizations...that's very, very troubling to me. I honestly believe the best thing for you would be to get out as soon as possible. The fact she doesn't want you to even get a job speaks to a very controlling nature. What she's doing? Very abusive. Many abusers use finances to control their victims.

I don't want you to be homeless but is there any way you can room with another relative or a friend? You can always offer to help with their rent once you move out. And are you going to public school? Disclose to a guidance counselor. Guidance counselors are mandatory reporters. If there is evidence of abuse they can help you file a report and make sure something is done.

I don't know where you live in Colorado but you may find this helpful: https://www.colorado.gov/pacific/si...al-Transgender-and-Queer-Health-Resources.pdf

11. InfinityonHigh

That's flat out abusive. The part of her crying over you being yourself is manipulative. They're ignoring your mental health. She's threatening to take away your basic needs for living. Remember that you are legally a minor, they are obliged to provide basic care. I can't imagine having to live in a household like that. This shouldn't be happening. This is abuse. This is not legal.

12. CyberStar

I don't know. Her problem is my bringing her and my dad into it. Because, on this other site I explained about how she was being controlling and unsupportive. You know, stuff about how she wouldn't let me get help over depression (and actually laughed in my face saying "Depressed?!? I do everything for you! What right to do YOU have to be depressed?"), and about how my dad was saying stuff about how I'll never be a girl and the surgery doesn't take care of internal organs and stuff, and my mom always just exploded every time the subject of my new name came into question. Lately she's started getting mad enough over it that she's started swearing (when before when I got to that point she told me to get out, and if I ever dared say the f-word again in her presence she'd call the cops).

I know she's pushing my buttons. But that doesn't make me feel any better, none the less.

The thing is, I knew I was different from puberty. But being different was my biggest worry, because I thought that if I made it known that I wanted to be a girl I'd be ostracized just like Ben. It was awful. But finally when I was 17 my parents were trying to force me to show them my Facebook account (where, as a first step, I'd switched the pronouns and changed the gender). So I came out to them, and they don't agree because I didn't show any signs.

Which I didn't because of being afraid of being a social outcast.

So now, my parents change the channel whenever something LGBT comes up, they won't let me us any name but my birth name, they tell me that I can't wear any clothes but men's clothes, and basically force me to be as masculine as possible. They even tell me to change the way I walk.

I reeeaally don't want to make things between my parents and I more unpleasant than they already are, but I'm worried that I might have to. I CANNOT stay male for much longer. I just can't.

It doesn't help that they interfere to the point where I can't even practice my voice at home, or even shave my face too often.

13. CyberStar

I don't know. Her problem is my bringing her and my dad into it. Because, on this other site I explained about how she was being controlling and unsupportive. You know, stuff about how she wouldn't let me get help over depression (and actually laughed in my face saying "Depressed?!? I do everything for you! What right to do YOU have to be depressed?"), and about how my dad was saying stuff about how I'll never be a girl and the surgery doesn't take care of internal organs and stuff, and my mom always just exploded every time the subject of my new name came into question. Lately she's started getting mad enough over it that she's started swearing (when before when I got to that point she told me to get out, and if I ever dared say the f-word again in her presence she'd call the cops).

I know she's pushing my buttons. But that doesn't make me feel any better, none the less.

The thing is, I knew I was different from puberty. But being different was my biggest worry, because I thought that if I made it known that I wanted to be a girl I'd be ostracized just like Ben. It was awful. But finally when I was 17 my parents were trying to force me to show them my Facebook account (where, as a first step, I'd switched the pronouns and changed the gender). So I came out to them, and they don't agree because I didn't show any signs.

Which I didn't because of being afraid of being a social outcast.

So now, my parents change the channel whenever something LGBT comes up, they won't let me us any name but my birth name, they tell me that I can't wear any clothes but men's clothes, and basically force me to be as masculine as possible. They even tell me to change the way I walk.

I reeeaally don't want to make things between my parents and I more unpleasant than they already are, but I'm worried that I might have to. I CANNOT stay male for much longer. I just can't.

It doesn't help that they interfere to the point where I can't even practice my voice at home, or even shave my face too often.

14. InfinityonHigh

Are there any adults or friends you know in real life that can help you? A trusted teacher, a relative etc? They're controlling you in ways that they shouldn't. You need help in this situation.

15. Bismuth

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I'd highly recommend using the resource thepandaboss gave you. It seems that, in the long run, leaving that environment is in the best interests of your physical and psychological health. Try to find a lgbt friendly group that can help you with shelter, food, and maybe even financially.

You say you don't want to make things worse between you and your parents but the way you describe it I have little confidence that your relationship will get any better until something drastic happens.

#15 Bismuth, Nov 15, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2015
  16. CyberStar

Well, I just got done writing a letter to explain to my parents for I feel. Probably, she's just going to yell at me for being hateful (since in this letter I take a stand on my gender), but at least I tried.
    If they can't accept it, though... I'm really not sure what's going to happen.

17. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Good for you. :slight_smile: In the meantime, please look up youth crisis centres and homelessness services in your area, just in case the worst comes to the worst. Have a backup plan, even if it turns out you don't need it. This seems worth checking out.

#17 Maddy, Nov 16, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2015
  18. Distant Echo

Yeah. You're in real trouble. She is being abusive and you need to get help. Real help. And her threats about the eviction? You tell your side to a court and she's in trouble. They will realise what is going on.

You need to get out ASAP.

19. MetalRice

Wow, your mom sounds so much like my mom that it is quite uncanny, I'm sorry about your situation girl (*hug*)

20. CyberStar

I gave the letter to my parents last night. It didn't work at all. My mom is going to throw me out at 18 if I get a job. My dad will do the same if I start my transition. And so in one sentence the basically crushed my biggest dream for what I could do in Colorado. I would have cried, except a while back I trained myself not to because of that "men don't show weakness" crap I was taught.
    And then my dad told me I'm not transgender and that isn't even a thing.
    I'm contacting my counselor and the school social worker.