1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I picked up a random book from my school library, got a pleasant surprise

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by WhereWeWere, Nov 12, 2015.

1. WhereWeWere

WhereWeWere Guest

Basically, each quarter, for my English class, we have to write a book report and create a project for it. I was in the library last week, and I didn't have a book for second quarter yet. I wanted something not too big, but big enough to the point where it was at the appropriate length to write and create a project about.

I ended up renting a book called Grand & Humble, I didn't think much of it really. I just saw it's size and said, "Yep. This is big enough." I began to read the book, and smiled because it mentioned an openly gay character who was a friend of one of the protagonists. I have never really read any books that mentioned gay people at all.

In resource today, I accidentally dropped the book on the floor. I went to pick it up, and I noticed the back of the book, where it talked about the author. It said something along the lines of, "Brent Hartinger lives in Washington State with his partner, Michael Jensen". I looked at it for a few more seconds before realizing: Wait a minute. The author is gay! Why do I imagine him as bald?

I went on my laptop after school and looked him up, and it was confirmed- not only was he gay and married- he was also bald!

I just think it's so nice- and ironic. Me, a gay transgender boy, in a school library filled with thousands of books, and I ended up renting one written by another gay dude.

It's not really anything too crazy, but it's this nice little thing that made me happy this week.

2. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Interesting experience!

I'm very aware of Hartinger, and have read some of his books. I think Grand & Humble was one of his more interesting books, due to the ending.

In many of his other books, the main character is gay. Geography Club, for example, is about starting a club for gay students (a GSA of sorts, I suppose). They choose "geography club" because it's such a boring idea no one will want to join.

3. BigGayAlex

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    One might say it was meant to be found by you! Hope the book is a good read!

4. WhereWeWere

WhereWeWere Guest

Sounds interesting. I'll definitely have to read that one eventually.

5. littleraven

Wow. That's pretty rad. :slight_smile:

6. Connorcode

Connorcode Guest

...I ran a Geography club.