1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is anyone multilingual/learning a language?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by rudysteiner, Nov 10, 2015.

1. ChicoFranco

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Damn!! most of you can speak 3 or 4 Languages fluently!! I only speak fluent Swahili, English and a bit of French. Not a language person but i always wanted to learn Spanish.

Any other person who speaks Swahili here? Hit me up on my wall.

---------- Post added 11th Nov 2015 at 09:24 AM ----------

Did i just include English there? lmao

2. AlexanderDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm in my second year learning Japanese, once upon a time I tried teaching myself Swedish, and I would say that I'm more than conversationally fluent in English.

3. wiseotter

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have like 10 languages on my list that I'd like to learn but of course I can't so I need to shorten the list, it looks like:

French, Spanish, Mandarin, Cantonese, Italian, Swedish, Latin and maybe more.

4. Ryujin

In my fourth year of learning French, my first year of learning German (though in two years I'll be expected to speak both of them to the same degree #GCSEs). I hope to be fluent enough in French to be able to read (non-literary fiction/treatise) books/watch films/hold extended conversations by the end of this school year. On that front, I think I'm doing pretty well, but I need to prioritise spoken conversations because a) I'm shit at is and b) Supposed to be visiting France at the end of this year and would like to actually be able to speak French to French people xD

There are a few other languages I'd like to learn, primarily Icelandic, Welsh and Japanese. Icelandic and Welsh aren't overly useful in the modern world, but I'd love to learn them anyway, Welsh because <3 Celtic culture & I live like 20 minutes away from North Wales and Icelandic because a) it's afiaa it's the closest language to Old Norse b) I'd love to speak a North Germanic language and I like to be different C) ETH. Japanese is much more useful of course, due to Japan's major business influence, but I also want to learn it as I set learning it as my challenge for myself back in Year 7, so I have to do that now!

5. Quem

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Cool! Let me know on my wall if there's anything you want to know. I'd definitely like to help! :icon_bigg

6. rudysteiner

I certainly will do. Thanks!

--

Just added German and Russian to my list of languages I'm learning, but I don't think Russian is a language that you can self-teach. God, it's hard. Need to revisit learning Dutch too.

7. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've tried learning languages, but I eventually get bored and stop, especially if they offer absolutely no practicality. I can utter a few phrases in Spanish though - mostly insults.

French was an absolute bore.

#47 imnotreallysure, Nov 11, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2015
  8. MayaBee

I am a native german speaker, have been speaking english since I was 7, started with french when I was 10/11, and with 12 I started with Latin which all I am still learning till today. I also have learned some of the basics of Czech.

School's hard in Switzerland.

9. Commenza

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    German is my native language and I speak English fluently. English native speakers tell me I sound just like a native so that's cool but I do make mistakes now and then haha.

I am currently learning Japanese which has always been a dream of mine. It's finally coming true now :wink:

I can also speak French and Spanish a little bit. Took both those languages several years in school but I guess I forgot lots of them unfortunately :grin:

#49 Commenza, Nov 11, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2015
  10. L0ser

I speak English, and I'm taking third year courses in Spanish and Latin. Not for speaking Latin, but getting a better understanding of language and stuff. I want to learn Japanese, but have no way of taking a class for it. I've memorized hiragana and katakana, and I'm trying to learn the grammar rules and some kanji.

I don't know how far I'll be able to get, with me trying to teach myself a language I've never taken a single class for.

11. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Learning Japanese~. For about four years and still not fluent, because I don't work very hard at it and I'm learning it by myself. However, I can comfortably chat with people online in Japanese, and they don't suspect I'm a foreigner. ^.^ I'm not that great at interpreting anime though. >.<

12. tourettesqueen

I am learning French.

13. COPY

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Started learning German, and I'm planning on studying French next year. I'm only fluent in English right now, but I can understand spoken Romani pretty well. I want to learn Finnish or Romanian, too. :]

14. Origamidragons

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I speak Spanish semi-fluently. I'm also learning Japanese.

15. PerfectlyNormal

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I can speak English.
    I have a basic understanding of Esperento and am learning it.
    I am somewhat but not fully learning Russian (literate and can say a few words).
    I will learn Spanish at school (you must take an extra Bible class two years during 10-12 grades taught in Spanish), and can say some sentences.
    I hope to eventually learn French.

16. rudysteiner

I tried learning Esperanto and eventually got bored of it, even though I've heard somewhere that it's supposedly the easiest language for a person to learn, excluding their mother tongue.

17. Quem

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I also got a bit bored with Esperanto. It has some oddities in it that could've been avoided really.

The problem with Esperanto is that it is not exactly cleverly designed from a linguist's point of view. For instance, the case system Esperanto has might be seen as unnecessary. A language doesn't really need that per se to function. Sure, it allows sentence orders to be a bit freer, but it's not needed to introduce a case system.

Moreover, it has "supposedly" the one letter is one sound system, but it is flawed. Some words have a very difficult pronunciation due to quirky consonant combinations. And, the thing is, as Esperanto is designed, certain words can actually have an easier (and friendlier) pronunciation (for most language learners, that is). For instance, the Esperanto word for stone is ŝtono (/ˈʃtono/) which could easily have been stono (/ˈstono/).

Some of its flaws aside, in terms of orthography it makes a lot more sense than the defective English orthography. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

18. rudysteiner

Yeah, wasn't it formed to create a truly international language? Taking Germanic, Latin, African, Slavic etc. lexis to create it? I think I heard that somewhere.

19. roryoswinpond

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Oui. Je peux parler le français et l'anglais.

20. Quem

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You heard/read that correctly, it's indeed an international auxiliary language (by some known as auxlang, interlang(uage) or IAL). For me, Esperanto is not to difficult to read as it resembles Germanic and Romance languages.

It was not much African though, mostly Germanic, Slavic and Romance languages actually. :icon_bigg Some of the criticism tackles exactly this feature. For instance, speakers of Chinese and Japanese won't find Esperanto easy whatsoever. They may as well learn Spanish, French or German if they want to learn a foreign language. Esperanto is mostly easy for those familiar with (at least) one of the languages that is used as base/inspiration. =)