1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Not sure what to call myself.

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by lovendor, Nov 5, 2015.

1. lovendor

Out Status:
    All but family
    Hi,

A bit of background:
    I came out as lesbian when I was 17. I told everyone but my immediate family, with the exception of my sister and my mom. My mom told me I was wrong, she didn't believe me. She insists that I am bisexual. She ignored any mention of my relationships with other girls. (She also thinks bisexual people just need to make up their minds, and are greedy. She told my sister that behind my back. It came up in a conversation, because my sister is questioning bisexuality. She feels ashamed because of my mother.)

I'm in my early, nearing mid-20s now. I'm engaged to a man, who I do love. He is the only man I've been with, and the only one I've ever cared for. I don't feel sexual attraction, but I'm not repulsed by him. (Other men, however? Ugh, no!) Since I love him, I view sex with him as a way to bond, but objectively, it doesn't do anything for me. I've shared this with him, and he's very understanding. My mother insists this means I am bisexual, since I am in a relationship with a man. I am extremely uncomfortable with being called bisexual. I know for a fact that if my current relationship ended for any reason, I would never be with a man.

But het-partnered lesbian seems inappropriate to say, so I've been calling myself q***r... which offends some people, understandably. I'm toying with biromantic lesbian, but it doesn't feel fit, because I have never felt romantic love for a man outside of my current partner.

Any input... anyone? :confused: I know labels aren't really important in the grand scheme, but I feel lost not knowing what to describe myself.

Sorry for the long post.

2. wanderinggirl

homoflexible?

3. Smoony

Smoony Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    *sigh*

First of all, nobody cares what your ignorant mother thinks. You shouldn't care what she thinks.

Secondly... do not marry of a man who you feel no sexual attraction for. That's stupid. It's adultery waiting to happen. What, do you want the conservatives to be right about us? You may as well declare him your best friend and marry a woman. Because you're a total lesbian.

4. fxngirl

fxngirl Guest

This sound so much like me!
    I came out as a lesbian a few months ago because, although I have zero experience, I'm extremely attracted to girls and I would also see myself in a relationship with one. With guys, well, I'm not interested in them. But now things are complicated because I have feelings for a guy and, since I care about him so much, I'm considering starting a relationship with him. The problem is, I'm not sexually attracted to him, at all, not to guys in general.
    Right now, I feel the label that fits me at best is "homoflexible", and I think it might fit you as well.

#4 fxngirl, Nov 6, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 6, 2015
  5. Distant Echo

Don't do what a lot of us have done and find yourself having to deal with regret later.

6. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    One thing you could say is that you mostly like women, or homoflexible, as has been suggested above.