1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Am I trans if...

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by MtnCase, Nov 4, 2015.

1. MtnCase

Am I really trans if even though I have long desired to be the gender opposite my sex and think about it often and feel so much happier when I feel perceived that way, if I know that I can live cis-gendered normally and happy as well?

I feel like I want to be a man, but I feel that the hurdles to jump and the challenges to face are too overwhelming if I know that being a woman to society (including friends and family) has not made me depressed or intensely dysphoric.

I don't know what to do other than try to be androgynous even though I've felt that presenting that way has been a stepping stone or a compromise to being who I really want to be.

??????

2. Florestan

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It does sound like you are transgender, and I think you deserve the freedom to be yourself. Ultimately, though, you alone can decide whether or not to transition.

There are challenges, but do you think it's worth it? Remaining outwardly cisgender would have fewer social consequences and fewer risks, but transitioning would let you become what you actually want to be and, as you say, "feel so much happier." It's a tough decision, and it shouldn't be taken lightly. Just make sure to do whatever's best for you.

3. ThatOneAlien

I'm really interested to see how other people reply to this because I feel somewhat similar. I don't really think I could live "happily" as cis though, I think it would be more just living, a bit emptily, which is what I feel like I've been doing up to this point. I've also been slowly trying to present as more masculine but it always seems like there is something missing. So yeah like Florestan said it's up to you if you think it's worth it to transition. I need to think about it some more but I'm pretty sure I'm going to. I plan on finding a gender therapist, which could be helpful to you as well. I think having someone to talk to would help otherwise I'm just going to keep driving myself crazy thinking about it.

4. Matto_Corvo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Wither a person transitions are not they are considered trans so long as they identify as a gender that dies not align with the one assigned at birth.

As for his you feel. I often feel it would easier and safer, and less costly, to remain a 'girl'. But when I think about I know I will spend my days thinking about it. I will spend my days imaging myself as the man I am suppose to be. I could find some form of happiness but I will also always feel like I am waiting for my lifento begin. I will feel jealousy at every man I see. I will be happy but it is only a shallow happiness that is not true happiness.
    I have been compromising even before I knew I was trans. "I can still do this and this even though I am a girl" "I can dress this way even though I am girl". The one thing I could never have was a man's body, but that's okay because I am a girl so why would I want a man's body. A body's just a body anyway.
    Took a while for the pieces to click together. To realize I am trans. I will be much happier as a man. I can only see myself as a man.

This might not be the same for you, everyone is different. Do what makes you happy, or that you wish to do. Be that staying as you are or transitioning.

5. Smoony

Smoony Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Great thread, MtnCase.

Transitioning is going to be a pain. A fulfilling pain, from what I can gather, and you'll feel more congruent with yourself. Sure, you can live happily for the rest of your life as a female, but do you really want to continue acting out a role that defies your inner self? Only you can answer. Good luck! (*hug*)

6. JessicaWolfess

I sometimes feel that way asweel, alot of the time infact..

7. MtnCase

Thanks Smoony, that perspective really helps :slight_smile:

8. Smoony

Smoony Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Any time, sir.

9. jenben

Since I started questioning, there have definitely been points when I felt like this, especially early on.

I kept thinking, "Why am I spending so much time agonising over this, when I've managed to live my life as a cis female without it being a big issue up until now?"

But the fact is, I wasn't really any happier or less confused, before I started questioning than I am now. And as I've gradually started to make little changes and try to present myself more masculine, I'm beginning to feel less like my whole life is an act and more like myself, even if I'm not quite ready yet to fully accept this or to come out.

Speaking to a gender therapist would probably be a good idea, but if you don't feel ready to seek out a gender therapist, it could also help to get more general counselling perhaps, from a counsellor that you know is LGBT friendly, which is what I'm currently doing. I'd suggest, if there's any LGBT groups in your area, it would be a good place to go to get advice about seeking either a gender therapist or an LGBT friendly counsellor.

10. MtnCase

Yea, in a week I'm moving and I've already started to look into gender counselling and other support programs in the area. It'll be the first time I've really talked to anyone about this or reached out at all so I'm nervous but feel like it'll really help.