1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ever cook what you see on TV shows?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by crazydog15, Nov 3, 2015.

1. crazydog15

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So I'm a big fan of the Great British Baking Show (I think it's the Great British Bake Off in the UK?) and I tried baking Paul Hollywood's English muffin recipe (we may be a little behind in the US!). Anyway, they sounded easy enough, but those things were pretty darn tricky to make, but three batches in, I think I'm getting there. They just need a little butter....

I need to figure out what to bake next....

2. BigGayAlex

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    As a former chef, I watch a few destination restaurant shows (ie where to get a great steak, bacon, etc) and occasionally Restaurant Impossible. One day I seen a chef on the Today show (NBC) making meatballs that supposedly was super awesome. I have my own recipe for them, but was intrigued to see his way. I remembered everything he said/did and tried it out. They were merely ok. That was the only time.

If you are using butter, try to use organic/grass fed butter. The taste is SO much better and it really shows in cakes, pies and other recipes. Trust me!

#2 BigGayAlex, Nov 3, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2015
  3. WhereWeWere

WhereWeWere Guest

People still watch cooking shows?

4. candyjiru

No, but I do feel like I'd be a good judge since I know all the complaints they're going to say before they say them XD;;;

Also, the ones I watch don't really give recipes~ I like Chopped and anything with Gordon Ramsey in it~~ If you haven't watched the F Word ("the f word is food" pft, yeah sure, Gordon XD;; ) I really recommend it~ He gives recipes and raises animals that he will slaughter for his finale meal... it's really sad T.T He had such a hard time with the pigs he raised T.T And he finally admitted that he could understand vegetarians... as he was eating ham XD;;;;

5. justin88

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    lol

6. Xeno

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I remember seeing some recipes on Steven & Chris and I thought that they would be easy to make... Let's just say that none of them ended well.

7. Bellerophon06

I've made a few things from Youtube channels, namely DadCubed's 'Secret Recipes', and Hannah Hart's 'My Drunk Kitchen'.
    That kind of counts.

8. rudysteiner

I've watched a few of CupcakeGemma's vids on YouTube.

I also watch GBBO when it's on, but that finished a few weeks ago. Barefoot Contessa is my guilty pleasure and I love Diners, Drive-ins and Dives too.

9. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    On GBBO I saw this 20 layer cake, looks really nice and love to make it.

10. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I can't recall ever making anything seen on a cooking show, but it's possible I did at some point...

I can say for sure I've learned things from some cooking shows, and applied tips. And I made some onion soup inspired by a Julia Child recipe.

And speaking of Julia Child... I really like her first show (The French Chef) in glorious black and white. She was always interesting, and taught valuable basics. An onion soup show not only gave a recipe for onion soup, but helpful tips about caring for knives, and how to quickly cut that big mountain of onions. Another thing I liked about her: she used real world equipment. She actually praised once a cheap non-stick pan for omelettes over the fancy $$$$ pan. And I don't think think she ever sold her name for cheap, made in China crap cookware, like some of today's star chefs.

#10 BMC77, Nov 4, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2015
  11. justin88

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Many of these recipes that are shown on TV are so unhealthy