Do you believe in "The One" ?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Fimo, Nov 3, 2015.

1. RayMarieS

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I don't believe in the one for everybody, but for certain people, yes.
    So people will have more than one "the ones" while others will have one...

2. RawringSnake

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I believe people will believe anything that helps them get through life with their sanity intact regardless of it's plausibility. This is one of such superstitions. One of those bindings we put on the gaps in our understanding of the world, to attach meaning to things that don't need an explanation (seriously, what difference does this make?) but we demand answers for because... Well, human nature. I don't mind it, it's one of the least harmful superstitions out there, so if that's what you believe ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

#22 RawringSnake, Nov 4, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2015
  3. mychemromance99

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Nope.
    I may be a bit pessimistic but IMHO I don't believe in "The One"

4. LogicNoSense

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Your topic itself already knocks out most questionable points: that there can only be ONE 'the one'. There cannot be multiple ones, simply because 'you and that person make up a whole'. Simplified, that means the two of you compliment each other extremely well-like ying and yang. In legends, it would be the red string of fate (to an easy connection)

But for myself, I don't think there can be a true 'the one'. Reason being that you have no one else to compare who you feel 'the one' is to the 'real the one'. Therefore, no matter how happy you are with your significant other, you can never truly tell whether they are 'the one' because you have never experience a perfect scenario where you are with 'the one'. On a lesser scale, you can content yourself with thinking that the person you are with right now is 'the one', but in actual fact, because you don't have the perfect scenario to compare to, you can never tell if they are 'the one'.

Basically, for me, if you want to think there is 'that' someone for you out there, you can never confirm it, and you are therefore living in a 'dream'. However, even if you do want to confirm that there is someone just perfect for you out there, you can never confirm as such. It's one or another, and I don't think there can be 'the one', basically because you can never have something to compare with.

Did this answer your question, though?

5. Canterpiece

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No. In fact such an idea scares me because, what if "the one" died young/ you never met because you had to move/they live somewhere different. It's more of an ideal than logical. People tend to have a few partners over their lifetime before they get into a serious relationship. Usually not many people end up staying with their first partner they date.

I'm not one for "fate" or "destiny" really. I think life is just a random mess that we're all trying our best to navigate and make sense of. The world is just a very weird place, but it's all we've ever known.

I still think love has importance though, it makes it easier having someone by your side who is supportive, reliable and cares about you that way.

But in the end love's just about hormones and genes. We tend to be attracted to those who are genetically different and compatible with us, and from a biological standpoint this makes sense. But then we get the question of why homosexuality and bisexuality exists, but that's a whole other conversation for another time.

#25 Canterpiece, Nov 5, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2015
  6. Reciprocal

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't believe in "The One". There's so many millions of people in the world that it just doesn't seem possible or logical.

7. MCairo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Nah. I believe there are some people which we can connect better than with others, so there might be some ''Ones'' out there or actually many. If you stop to think about it, a century ago most people rarely went far away from the village/town they were born and yet I'm pretty sure a lot of them experienced passion/love towards someone else, regardless if they succeeded in having an official relationship with their loved one or not.

8. Batman

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think there are multiple "ones" out there for everyone. Less the fated lovers-type shtick, and more just people who are highly compatible.

9. Libra Neko

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't believe that crap at all. Not at all.
    I believe that to think that, you can't leave yourself open if one relationship that you felt was "the one" ends. What if your partner died? Would you grieve forever?

10. justin88

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Well said!

11. VideoGAYmer

VideoGAYmer Guest

I also have a scientific point of view but my belief is that there are highly compatable and "the one". "The one" very is subjective though, it could be your one true soul mate or neo or whatever you want. I alway thought that if I was to invent a time machine if I want back in time what I would have done is set and I can't change the past, to me free will is an illusion and that everything is set in stone I believe in the one because I believe that's who I'm meant to be with.

12. waitwhat

waitwhat Guest

I don't know. The pessimist/cynic in me wants to say no.

13. CyanChachki

No. I believe that there are more than just one person that are "meant" to be your soulmates. If you only had one person, then there's a good chance that you'd never find them.

14. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No, I don't.

But despite that, the idealist in me really wants to believe it.

15. Quem

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I believe this has to do with one's preferences and one's standards as well. For some, there may be many "the ones", whereas for others there will be none. =) So basically there can be n the ones, with n ranging from zero to a large number (I'd be surprised if n is not an integer).

I think I've found the one. However, before I found him, I honestly thought that "the one" was just nonsense. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

#35 Quem, Nov 11, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2015