1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Were You Ever Homophobic and/or Transphobic in the past?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by WhereWeWere, Nov 1, 2015.

1. justin88

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    This but mostly when I was in my teenage years... lol

#21 justin88, Nov 2, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2015
  2. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    When I was deeply closeted yea... a little bit.

3. candyjiru

Not really~ I grew up in a very conservative family and went to private school where they even went on this rampage about boycotting Disney because of "gay day"... sigh... I guess I've always just had the mindset of "tend to your own little red wagon." (don't worry about things that don't involve you). If it's not hurting anyone and doesn't involve you personally... why are you flipping out about it?

4. Sorceress of Az

When I was a child,
    I tried to communicate but was slow,
    Everyone was so intelligent,
    I hated my self,
    I tried to tell people that I trusted that I liked people regardless of their gender identity or sex, but had no idea what to call it,
    I always had a fear of being hurt emotionally or hurting some one else emotionally,
    And didn't always speak my mind,
    Or voice my opinion,
    My father may have bipolar, my grandmother has schizophrenia, my mother is slow, Grandpa probably had ptsd,
    I was afraid some one would hurt me if they knew that I wasn't what they called perfect, if I wasn't straight and non-transgender like them, even though they themselves are not perfect,
    My father thinks only his opinion matters,
    But that is not true. My whole life speaking up or trying to tell him how I feel resulted in being yelled at.

I just wanted to be accepted,
    I then repressed how I felt, didn't want to be transgender, didn't want to have learning disabilities,
    Didn't want to not be straight, if people would hate me, if other transgender people got mugged, raped, murdered, than I did not want to be transgender,
    I hated it, I did not want to die ever,
    I wanted to live,
    I wanted to understand people,
    Why I felt distant and disconnected, I just wanted to be happy for the depression to go away,
    I escaped into video games,
    I escaped into learning,
    I escaped into my own imagination,
    I escaped into fiction,
    I escaped into delicious food,
    I escaped into impulsive buying,
    I escaped into gambling,
    I escaped using lies,
    Mostly I just escaped from how I felt,

Then one day a friend had me watch a film that I thought was stupid, a film that I refused to give a chance at first because I hated my self and any thing new, but I listened to Let it Go on Frozen and the feelings erupted like a storm of emotions,
    Still I tried to fight it back with Will power,
    People I cared for passed away, my life felt like it had been wasted since before I allowed my self to feel, the depression grew,
    Then after having some time to come to terms,
    The denial faded and I was still me.

5. Devil Dave

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've never truly been homophobic, I would pretend to be grossed out by gays because nearly everyone else I grew up with said it was gross, but I've never honestly been offended by the thought of two people of the same sex in a relationship together.

I did used to be transphobic. I couldn't understand the thought of rejecting what you are, especially after I came out as gay myself, I thought, why would somebody deny their own body? It took me a lot to admit that I'm a male who likes other males, so why would somebody deny what they are? But upon actually meeting and interacting with transgender people, they always seem to be very decent people who don't want to harm or offend anyone. So I stopped feeling offended by them.

6. RainDreamer

When I was really little, we used to have all the news and talk and horrors of LGBT people, calling them all kinds of things. So like a kid who just learn a new swear word, I used it to insult people I don't like back then, without really understand what the words means. I still regret saying all those things.

7. lliterallly

Yeah, I've never really been homophobic, but transphobic, yes, when I was a little kid. Thankfully I matured and surrounded myself w/ open minded people.

8. Reciprocal

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was never homo- or transphobic but I did tell a few jokes that I had heard from people at school and didn't really understand, but said them because they were "cool".

9. Aviator182

I used to be slightly homophobic because of I was in denial and trying to put up a wall to where no one would suspect that I was gay. This was mainly through my teen years. Definitely not any longer. My view the past few years is you have to be you, what ever that is that makes you happy.

10. MyLittleWorld

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  11. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hello,

I'm going to be honest. When I was younger [10] I thought male and female was just the body parts. When I was 12 I heard about transgender and couldn't understand how someone could *feel* gender, so I couldn't accept it. When I was 14 though I heard about that people killed themselves [please don't] over this and I thought why would someone die over something fake (?) so I decided it was a real thing ... but still couldn't understand how people *felt* gender. Anyway, so I had GCSEs and stuff so I didn't think about it until around a month ago [September 2015] when we were learning about gender in sociology. I asked a question on a website about '' what is male and female, and how do people feel gender?'' The person replied that ''male and female is the body parts, and that I [they] can't answer about the feelings as I'm [they're] agender''. So I did some research on that and even though it wasn't much I was pretty confident that's what I was, any doubt just came from [stupid] society who thinks everything is just male or female. Although it took me a long time, I was finally able to understand that people do feel gender, it just happens I don't. Although I can never feel gender, I can at least ask and learn how other people do. I'm sorry I ever didn't think it was real, but I hope you can forgive me now.

I was never homophobic, and was surprised to find that gay marriage was only legal in USA in 2015 as I watched FRIENDS and in 1996 Susan & Carol got married and the minister said ''God is happy when two people, any two people, come to love each other...'' so I just assumed that homosexuality was already allowed to be married. Then again, I knew nothing of sexuality until I was 13 ... so by that point I wasn't thinking about relationships [even though that's the 'normal' time everyone else is] and wasn't that interested again until I was 16.

12. Canterpiece

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Homophobic- only to myself really.

Transphobic- yeah, a little. I made some insensitive comments here and there. But for the most part I was accepting.

13. Justinian20

If you knew me in high school, age 16-17, you would've thought I was a bit homophobic in that period as I always got so annoyed when same sex rights or with any LGBT topics. This was pretty much me hiding who I was, I also did hate myself at the time.

14. Ameryllis

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was never completely opposed to it, but I did find it a bit strange when I was around 9ish. I think one of the main reasons I learned to accept it was because when I was 10, I had a huge crush on my babysitter who was a strong supporter of LGBT rights, and she often ranted to me and my sister about how gay people were just as normal as everyone else.

Also, when I was 11 and she went off to Uni, her sister took over babysitting me and my sister, and she was just as big on LGBT rights as her sister, so she, too, gave me and my sister a massive rant about how 'gay was okay', so thanks to them, I learned to accept my sexuality pretty early on. :3

I'm actually a little curious if both of them ranted about LGBT normality because they had suspicions about my sexuality xD...

15. secretagent

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I wasn't ever homophobic but I found it weird at first. After a while I realized there isn't anything weird about it.

#35 secretagent, Nov 2, 2015
  16. loveislove01

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Homophobic- to some extent, but I was never one to disrespect someone because of one of their traits.
    Transphobic- I didn't know trans people even existed until I joined EC and this guy in my school came out as trans (ftm) I've never been transphobic, at least I don't think I have

#36 loveislove01, Nov 2, 2015
  17. Weregild

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Yes, when I thought I was straight.

18. tourettesqueen

No, not really. I first found out about that kinda stuff when my aunt came out. I was about 10 at the time and had no problem accepting it.

19. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm not sure how much of it was genuine homophobia, versus trying to fit in and take any suspicion away from myself. The usual, carefully timed, "faggot" and, "that's so gay!" but otherwise not much else. I lost a friend due to rumors about him being gay, and remember people laughing at and showing disgust towards obviously effeminate gay males. Like a fool, I thought, "they bring it upon themselves - why can't they just act normal and avoid the hardships?" not knowing they couldn't help it, else they'd have done so long ago. It was pretty much the worst thing you could be or do, back then.

Transphobia, not really, since I didn't even know of the existence of it until later on. For a while, I wondered where trans men and women fit into my orientation, and made me question long-held beliefs regarding gender, but that probably was an easier and quicker hurdle to overcome.

#39 gravechild, Nov 3, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2015
  20. ledja

ledja Guest

pretty much. i found it strange, but never wrong or anything though. although nobody around me was all that homophobic... wait, yeah some were. but i don't think they were actually nice people in general so i don't think i paid attention.

i was accidentally? homophobic, i think. like i would use the word 'gay' to mean 'crappy' or 'bad' without really thinking about it because it was like any other word when i was in high school, like 'cool' or 'sick' or whatever. i stopped using it straight away when i matured and realised that it was offensive.

i think trans people were more of a shock, honestly. and now i share your plot twist. i turned out to be trans myself.