1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

80% gay

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by baristajedi, Oct 30, 2015.

1. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm still fairly comfortable with the label bisexual, but I find myself searching for s label that more accurately defines me. I know bi includes all ranges of attraction to multiple genders, and I also know I don't need a label.

But the shorthand of saying what bi means for me helps me articulate and contextualise my situation and experiences. I don't like the term mostly gay because while it describes me almost accurately I think, I feel it conveys some implication of experience as being gay.

I wish there was a way to say "I've recently come out to myself as 80% gay and that leads to complications in my marriage" or something like that. I feel bi doesn't precisely cover it, but mostly gay is just slightly too strong.

Gah! Is anyone else struggling with this?

#1 baristajedi, Oct 30, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2015
  2. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Why bother searching for a label? Is a label that important?

3. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't know, they're not important for everyone. But until I labeled myself bi I was fairly in denial about more than just my sexuality. It's helped me kickstart a lot if my emotionsl journey.

4. TeaTree

I believe the label I choose should describe who I am now and who I am interested in now...
    So even if all my past experiences were with men, since I came out to myself I realized that I'm not interested in the opposite gender really anymore in that sense.
    In this case I think saying I'm bi would be deceiving, since men would think I am still interested in them.

Otherwise I'm struggling as well with the "you have no experience, you can't be sure" thing, but other than getting angry a few times for why it happend like that, well, it did, and this is who I am and I don't really care anymore.
    Accepting that I'm not 100% sure and that's ok gave me some peace of mind.

#4 TeaTree, Oct 30, 2015
  5. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I totally agree, and maybe I'm still insecure about my lack of experience with women, but I'm getting past that. I do think my label should simply reflect who I am, not who I've been with. But I like to state as authentically as I can what my orientation is, it makes me feel more true to me. It's like a shorthand for me to authentically represent ne.

6. waternation

waternation Guest

Not 'struggling' with this per se, but I totally get what you mean.

"I believe the label I choose should describe who I am now and who I am interested in now...
    So even if all my past experiences were with men, since I came out to myself I realized that I'm not interested in the opposite gender really anymore in that sense."

Yeah, when I started to accept that I was bi, my attraction for guys faded quite a bit. It's still there though. I could never identify as 'gay', but I don't like the 'bi' label either, because some guys are like an exception to my orientation rather than a huge part of it.

Maybe instead of focusing on a label for now, it would be better to try and think about what you want from your marriage, or a relationship. This is a really big decision to make, either way. You could tell your husband what you're thinking, or you could leave things as they are, or maybe take some time apart to clear your head.

I haven't been in this situation before, although towards the end of my last break-up in a serious relationship, it was coming pretty close. But I do understand where you're coming from in terms of sexuality. You're not alone.

7. SiennaFire

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Here's a quick answer

Kinsey 4 is 70% gay and Kinsey 5 is 90% gay, so Kinsey 4.5 is the most accurate way of saying that you are 80% gay. Some might argue this isn't a valid Kinsey score, but it's based on the extrapolation of the following graph https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kinsey_scale#/media/File:Kinsey_Scale.svg.

The label "homoflexible" describes someone attracted primarily to members of the same sex, but occasionally attracted to members of the opposite sex. This has been used by the younger generation as a less precise alternative to the higher end of the Kinsey scale.

#7 SiennaFire, Oct 30, 2015
  8. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's nice to see someone feeling similarly about labels. I suppose the labels bi or gay could offer me nearly a similar feeling of almost correct. But I want my label to reflect me more closely to "correct".

I also think what you're saying about focusing more on what I want from my marriage rather than the label may be wise, but I'm not sure that approach feels right to me right now.... I feel like primarily grappling with understanding my identity has been helping me gain more clarity about what I want from my marriage. In short I want to understand me more so right now than I want to understand my relationship, and then I think from there I can make a little more sense of my life choices, including my marriage.

---------- Post added 30th Oct 2015 at 03:38 AM ----------

This is helpful, and pretty cool because I've been feeling like neither Kinsey 4 or 5 feel quite right. I've been saying I think I'm a 4.5. Labels may make some people feel constrained, but I think really looking at the number 4.5 and realising how much closer that is to 6 than 0, I know its just a scale and it doesn't represent me, but still it has helped me see things a little more clearly. Like just seeing that I've been really denying myself something very intrinsic to my happiness, and I need to address that. It also helps me keep in perspective I *can* be with a man, and maybe that means my marriage could work. But regardless, I think I need to do *something* to explore who I am in terms of the more natural leaning I have to women, if I want to be true to me.

It just helps me gain a clearer perspective I guess.

#8 baristajedi, Oct 30, 2015
  9. ebda30

Out Status:
    A few people
    I have attached to mostly gay or just queer as an explanation for both my gender and sexuality.

What scares me is as ive let this shit out more, thr less and less attraction i have for men. Thisscaresme because we arecurtrbtly trying tofix our marriage and its just added to it nowthat i feel like i wont be sexually attracted to him...well, i havent beenn for a very long time but its changed now. Ugh anyone else doing that at all...the attraction for opposite gebder fading almost completely?

10. guitar

As someone who is about a Kinsey 5 or ~80% gay, I have a question for you: do you think you would sleep with/date someone of the opposite sex? Because I seriously doubt I ever would again, I tell people I'm "gay." If your answer is yes, you might just say "bisexual with a preference toward girls."

11. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Some people say ''bisexual homo-lenient''. Meaning they like males and females, but find themselves more often to be attracted to those of same sex. [hetero-lenient for those of opposite sex].

12. ebda30

Out Status:
    A few people
    This. Even Tho i intend to stay married. I would never ever ever date a man or have sex with a man again if we got divorced. I wish my marriage was more sexless than it already is

13. CameOutSwinging

I've developed a joke with some friends where I tell them I'm "95% gay." I've also said I'm a Kinsey 5, though sometimes I'll say something or do something and they'll be like "and that's why you're a 6!" :lol:

For real though, honestly I've decided that if and when my fiancee (soon to be wife) and I were to split up, I would probably never date or sleep with women again. I wouldn't date them because I've already been through two relationships where my attraction to men (which is stronger) became an issue, and I also truly believe that I could easily never have sex with a woman again and be satisfied. Whereas, I'm really not sure I could say the same about men...actually, I'm pretty sure I cannot say that!

Also, my fiancee, in one of the nicer conversations we had, told me that if we did break up, she'd basically hunt me down if I ended up with another woman. Since half the reason we would break up would be because of my desire to be with men.

If we were to break up, I'd have no problem identifying myself as strictly gay.

Lately, I've just been going with "not straight," since bisexual doesn't actually feel all that fitting at all.

14. Zen fix

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I get baristajedi's point that choosing the bi label helped with the denial. I also understand the desire to find something that better defines one's own experience. But, I think it's really only helpful to the individual. If I were to use pansexual, demisexual or any of the other potpourri of terms with anyone in my circle they wouldn't have a clue what I was talking about.

15. SiennaFire

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In trying to figure out your orientation, try to deemphasize your history (who you've been with) and focus more on who you would prefer being with. Even though I've had more sex with women than with men, I identify as gay because I realize that I prefer relationships with men. Within EC I identify as Kinsey 5 as well as gay, and once you accept that you are Kinsey 5, the jump to gay is much easier :slight_smile:

#15 SiennaFire, Oct 30, 2015
  16. CapColors

Well given your situation there is probably a difference in how you identify TO youself vs. to others. Would you tell your husband you were 80% gay? I think mine would find that very threatening, because he'd be like "and the other 20% is denial" no matter what I told him.

I am, alas, still a Kinsey 3. Which is a really awkward thing to be, in part because no one believes me, lol.

17. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    For me it's similar but also a little different. I think my sexuality's opening up more altogether. So while I'm noticing like a million women, and finding the idea of men much less interesting, the men that I do find attractive, I'm really attracted to. It feels like my sexuality has been so subdued in the past that now all aspects of it are much more noticable. So for every say 8 women I notice, I also notice 1 guy I find interesting, but they all pique my interest much more than in the past.

I don't know if that makes any sense....

---------- Post added 30th Oct 2015 at 01:37 PM ----------

It's hard to answer that. Since I'm married, and haven't yet decided whether I'll separate from my husband...I may never have sex with a woman my entire life. (That's an incredibly depressing thought).

Hypothetically, let's say I was no longer with my husband. I think I would be more interested in dating women exclusively for at least a long period of time. I do not rule out the idea that I could find a man interesting again in my lifetime. I think it's certainly possible. But I would be much more inclined to date women.

---------- Post added 30th Oct 2015 at 01:43 PM ----------

This is why I like the term queer, because it's not specific to any one orientation. Although sometimes I want to be specific, and I'd like to have a term for it....maybe I'll make up my own term, semi-gay, gay leaning...nearly gay...

---------- Post added 30th Oct 2015 at 01:49 PM ----------

I agree, this is more for me more than the people I talk to. It's just a way of feeling more in touch with my sense of self, by having the language to talk about my identity.

#17 baristajedi, Oct 30, 2015
  18. Really

Essence of Gay?
    Gay-o-liscious?
    Wunderqueer! (In a German accent, please.)

19. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

I get that, I do. It's hard for me to really feel total clarity on my orientation though given that my past has been fairly exclusively with men. I know what I feel and what I desire, while I faeel fairly firm in leaning very much towards women but still having significant feelings for men, there's thst voice in me that wonders things like-

do I only like men at all because ive only been with men? Could I actually simply be gay?

Do I have all these desires for women that are so strong simply because I've never experienced anything with a woman, meaning maybe I lean more to men than I think?

If I were alone right now, what would I want?

i don't know if these questions are helpful but I feel like I have some responsibility in being able to know the answers because I can't simply go out and explore my feelings. I have to make decisions about my marrisge first. If I weren't married, I would just go out and do what feels natural to me and learn as I go. But I feel like I need to sort of have some sense of what all these things mean to me before I disrupt my marrisge and totally chsnge my daughter's life.

---------- Post added 30th Oct 2015 at 02:13 PM ----------

That's for sure. I guess I just want this for me and I don't know how I will use these terms in conversation. I guess it depends a lot on who I'm talking to.

---------- Post added 30th Oct 2015 at 02:16 PM ----------

Wunderqueer! I love that one :lol:

Gay with a side of straight?

20. TeaTree

This is the best :icon_bigg
    Should get a t-shirt with that (well, that would be for me out of the comfort zone level 100)