1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What's on your bucketlist?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Alder, Oct 29, 2015.

1. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Let's see:

-Make a trans-Atlantic crossing by ship
    -learn how to survive in the wild
    -write a few novels
    -have a pet skunk
    -go to way more furry conventions
    -visit Sicily
    -have Malamutes, and take up dog-sledding

2. Formality

Go to Iceland to bathe in geothermal pools and do some awesome adventuring
    Visit the tea house at the top of Hua Shan in China
    Hike from most southern place (Smygehuk) to most northern place (Riksgränsen) of Sweden
    Visit New Zealand to see the wildlife, bike and ski
    Visit Japan to ski and endulge in their culture
    Try extreme kayaking
    Visit Cedar Point in Ohio
    Climb to the top of Kebnekaise (Sweden's highest point)
    Adopt a cat or a dog
    Do a front flip on skis
    Road trip through North America
    Compose a piano piece
    Run a marathon (once I've done a marathon I'm thinking Ultra, but I don't know if I have the committment for such distances)
    Do the Swedish Classic Circuit (4 separate events all completed within a year: 300 km cycling, 3 km open water swimming, 30 km cross country running and 90 km cross country skiing)
    Write a book
    Go to space one day......

#22 Formality, Oct 29, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2015
  3. Plattyrex

I just wanna get married to a guy who loves and protects me, move to a really nice city, and maybe adopt a kid if it's okay with him. And maybe win the lottery, but... you know, that's probably only third or fourth priority. Ya know, like, after the city, but before the kid and the husband.

4. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

Fair enough.

Obviously, things like 'learned to walk' or 'read a book' aren't very exciting. Unless I had an accident and entered therapy or experienced a long-ass coma, neither of which I have done.

Things I have done (and I feel are noteworthy):

- Skydiving:
    Never again. I've done it one time, and that's the only time. Not so much because I'm afraid, but because it leaves me feeling like a visit to the dentist does -- tense.

- Traveled Abroad:
    My maternal grandmother and I aren't very close, but we have a unique relationship. She leaves me alone, I leave her alone. The only times I tend to see my grandmother is when money needs to be discussed/exchanged or my person is necessary for some event or situation. We don't annoy one another, which is pretty uncommon in this side of the family -- it's our bond.

"That's interesting and all, Kaiser,
    but what does that have to do with traveling?
    "
    I'm about there!​

See, my grandmother was/is getting older. She can book flight tickets and pack some suitcases, get on and off a plane, and even go on walking tours -- but what gives her problems now, is the lifting of the luggage. If I was myself and willing to carry some luggage through an airport, I'd get an all-paid trip to Egypt.

I'd swallow my pride and tag along.
    I'm not only leaving the country, I'm going somewhere that isn't Europe or Canada. And I get out of school/church for two weeks? Hell fuckin' yes~!

From 2001 to 2005, I've been to Egypt, [a lot of] Western Europe, Brazil, and Russia.

- Learned to Understand:
    This is why I provided the set up a little while ago.

My grandmother and I weren't very close, and to be honest we're still distant with one another, but she and I better understand each other. This would not have happened if we weren't confined in several places during our traveling treks.

Up until this point in my life, I had a very self-centered perception of the world. I only cared about somebody else if it provided a guaranteed means of getting something. There wasn't really a need to sympathize or think about others -- it's-my-world mentality, basically. My needs come first, then whatever is left can be divided between the rest.

My grandmother shared some stuff about herself, things I never knew (or to be more accurate, cared to know about), most of them were observations about the sites we saw, but sometimes, usually while eating, we'd discuss life and politics. My family has no problem telling you, I'm smart. What they do have a problem with, however, is telling you how smart I am. This is why during those flights, meals, and late night reading sessions, I made many impressions upon my grandmother. And, she did too.

People often say they understand, but there's two parts to understanding. The logic and the genuineness. You can think all day on something, but if you don't "get" it, you're not going to be very effective ---

I owe my grandmother for that. Pretty words and clenched fists are only temporary, but soothed hearts and stimulated minds are practically eternal. This is when I'd say my social skills drastically improved, which opened doors for me. Life suddenly seemed more interesting.

- Master the Art of Chill the Fuck Out:
    I don't like problems. But I do like to solve them, and freaking out or having a temper tantrum is not going to fix the situation. If you want to blame so-and-so or punch a wall or kick a door, at least help me remedy the dilemma, then do that all you want.

If you get past my charm and jokes, the ego and the wit, you'll find a crybaby that didn't like how life was. I'll admit that. That's who I was. If somebody had something I didn't that I wanted, I'd rather take it away or break it as opposed to letting them have it. If somebody was smiling or having a good time, I'd rather insult or torment them until they lose that good vibe as opposed to working on myself.

If everybody was miserable, I only had to be the bare minimum of positive to set the bar. And besides, it made me feel powerful and in control when I struck others down. Just to control how they felt or what they could do, it was intoxicating. Typical bully nonsense, which is why, looking back, it's really ridiculous and asinine, that I put so much effort into it. I even liked it when people tried to fight back, because it meant that I'd see them chip and crack as their options dwindled.

I didn't play games to win, I played not to lose. There's a reason I believe I possess a personality disorder...

This came to really dominate my thoughts. I was letting my magnificent juvenile anger and sexy dumb apathy dictate my life. Basically, I was satisfying an emotion in a counter productive manner, and it was keeping me as miserable as I kept making others feel. I was the problem that I was pissed about!

That's when I entered my only real depression episode, and came the closest to suicide. But keep in mind, when I say closest, I don't mean I had a rope around my neck or a gun in my hand, I just spent more time thinking about it than I normally had and do. I don't have some super edgy or super touching experience to add here, sorry.

I'm too proud to kill myself because of somebody/something else -- that's my call. I'll be damned if somebody/something hurting my feelings is what takes me out.

That reflection really helped me realize, just because things didn't happen the way I wanted, didn't mean I had to let them get to me. I could make my own choice in my response, in how I lived period.

I began cutting down on being a hellion and started mellowing out.

- Appreciate Life:
    If you asked me, is the cup half full or half empty? I'll say the cup isn't big enough; get me another.

I don't believe there is any purpose in this universe. That would make me pretty depressing, wouldn't it? However, I also believe while there isn't any purpose in this universe, that's only the default. If I make one, then I'll have one. It won't be handed to me or made easy, but that's what makes it worth it in the end. Think of it like an orgasm, the foreplay is great, but the end result is incredible.

My mother holds the title for deepest wound inflicted upon me. In a heated moment, she let it be known that she and my father, had intended to abort me. This shattered me, because I had lost that one thing all children should have -- somebody that genuinely wants them in their lives.

Without going into tremendous detail, this is the context surrounding that:

My parents were fairly young, and didn't intend to have a child. Well, they wound up discovering my mother was pregnant. They discussed it and decided to go ahead with an abortion, but during their investigation my grandmother caught wind of this. She, pretty much, told them not to do it because it'd bring a bad image to the family, and if they did it, she'd cut them out of her life. Considering my grandmother footed the vast majority of their bills, they agreed... but they were passive with their frustration, and it showed towards me a lot.

While my grandmother has come to realize, that she was wrong in how she went about the situation, my parents are too proud/ashamed to apologize. This, too, really makes it difficult for me to be more amusing or witty, because there are people -- my parents, at that -- who have resentment towards me simply existing. What makes this more challenging is, if it had be somebody else then, they'd have this to deal with. If I had come later, then I'd be treated better in comparison.

So it goes beyond that. There was a reason I disliked religion, especially when folks told me to be grateful for this and that. In my mind, if God did exist, then he had to be a dick for making me go through this. And this was before the gender issues, which really added to the discontent towards the heavens.

So, why is this important, and what does it have to do with appreciating life?

It's simple. My experiences have made me capable of understanding some of the complexity of life, but just as importantly it has allowed me to appreciate the value of, say, a genuine kind word, a genuine hug, or a genuine companionship. I had learned that emotions were essential when dealing with others, but then it was about inciting the less desirable ones from others, instead of providing them a more beneficial and enjoyable experience.

My parents and I may not get along very well, but that's fine. They taught me the greatest lesson when it comes to Parenting 101: what not to be. But even though they aren't Parents of the Year material, each of them does have their redeeming qualities, so I'm not totally "RAWR! FUK MAH PARENTZ!".

God may or may not be a dick, but that's fine. It's made me determined to make that omnipotent deity remember me, or at least the world he created to remember me. And even though I don't consider myself particularly religious, I don't deny the possibility of something being beyond our comprehension... because I have other things to do. If that something beyond our comprehension really wants my attention, they should know me better than anybody else and thus know how to get my attention.

It's my life. I will be responsible for myself, and choose how I live. It's my call whether or not I let somebody or something else influence that.

Even if we all came from and will go to The Void, right now, I'm here and want to enjoy myself. I'll have plenty of time to be nihilistic or ignorant then.

Things I strive to do:

- Conquer the World:
    Or at least make some kind of impact on the world. Politics is the way to go, as History reveals. It's what gives you access to the various organizations and resources to implement authority.

Basically, I'm an ambitious girl. I have no shame!

- Transition:
    Ideally, I would like to transition. But this is something, as of typing this, on a day by day basis.

I want to be the beautiful lady I should have been to begin with.

- Acquire a Global Harem:
    Filled with the most handsome of men and beautiful of women, all of whom would be spoiled and loved.

Breakfast in bed? Mongolian hunk.
    Manicure with girl talk? Moroccan babe.
    Full body massage? Mexican fellow and Japanese lady.

I could go on, but when I dream, I like to do it big. LOL.

- Graduate College:
    I still have yet to finish my Associate's Degree, which would allow me to pursue a position as a juvenile delinquent worker or detective.

Very basic goal.

- Love Somebody:
    I figured I'd end on a more cute and positive note...

One day, I would like to experience an actual relationship, that isn't centered around what I can provide or relation to a situation. Particularly a romantic relationship.

In the meantime, I'll focus on myself, making it so I go from 'wonderful' to 'marvelous' for my potential future partner. It's a win-win.

^.~

5. Burnedcloset

I don't have a bucket list. I just want to Feel alive, happy, and comfortable with myself and where I'm at.

Maybe I'll make a bucket list when I get to that point.

6. bubbles123

bubbles123 Guest

Go to Costa Rica again
    Fall in love with someone
    Become fluent in Spanish
    Do things that make me happy
    Travel more
    Go to some ghost towns/urban exploring
    Make more time for art

7. Alder

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks everyone for sharing. Hopefully, sooner or later, we all get to cross some major things off our lists...or something that wasn't on it originally but deserves to be in the crowd of the accomplished ones.

If anyone else wants to continue to add on to this thread, please go ahead!

#27 Alder, Nov 2, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2015
  8. tulipinacup

Come out to my mum before 2016 (Came out to an old friend though)
    Deal with anxiety by:
    Getting a job(My contract ended so I need a new job lmao)
    Walk in a room full of crowd
    Eat in a public place
    Eat alone in a public place
    Signing up for a gym membership
    Intentionally embarrass yourself
    Meet a new friend
    Travel to any places outside my country
    Skydive
    Get a Tattoo
    Move out
    Collect physical music
    Get drunk (got tipsy most of the time)
    I should edit this one later

9. Cool Bananas

Brisbane, but I seem to fly as much as superman
    The bucket list items one is a good one, always good to have some sort of list I guess it keeps you in a happy state of mind and it gives you reason to look forward to the future.
    Visit Hawaii,
    Visit Egypt and the pyramids.
    I did stay in the plane motel at Stockholm, now that was good and was on my bucket list.
    I do have a X rated bucket list, I am may have even ticked one of those things off the list.

10. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's my understanding that a bucket list is to accomplish things before death, isn't it? With that in mind, I'm nowhere near enough to what I presume will be the end of my life to make a lifelong bucket list. And of course, meaning isn't derived from ticking off a checklist, so only reasonable goals that help drive what I hope will be a meaningful near future are included. Things that need to grow naturally, like relationships, aren't present.

I intend by 2020 to:

Get accepted to study law (January next year);
    Debate at international competitions;
    Lead or be on the executive of a student charity group and/or a student society at uni;
    Take a semester or two of undergraduate study in Germany or France;
    Learn a non-Western European language (I'll probably take Farsi, Russian or Arabic at uni);
    Run a full marathon;
    Read all of Dostoyevksy's novels (this one's the most dead easy);

Within the space of five years of undergraduate study, I'm sure I can fit those in, so long as I am determined enough to do it. Of course, some of these could change, and indeed should as I mature, develop a better understanding of what I want. I'd also like to visit further west in Australia and/or rural areas (I've only been to cities in the eastern states in Australia), but if I don't have a real reason to do so, that won't be so sure to come about.

The goals are quite guided; I want to get the most out of the next few years so that I can have a running start to adulthood. Less specific goals can come later.

#30 Aussie792, Nov 2, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2015
  11. Chief Beifong

Go backpacking in Europe, North America, and New Zealand to enjoy the natural scenery
    Visit every castles in Europe
    Go skydiving, parasailing, bungee jumping (in spite of the fact i'm afraid of heights)
    Be a travelling photographer
    Camp under the stars in New Zealand/Scandinavia/North Canada to watch the Aurora Borealis
    Go mountain biking
    Learn how to use the sword, dagger and a long bow
    Visit lots of antique shops that sells GENUINE antiques
    Forge my own sword and dagger
    Go to San Diego Comic Con
    Attend music festivals in US/UK
    Visit Harry Potter World in Florida
    Go to Hobbiton
    Learn how to tap dance
    Live in Tibet to study the ways of Buddhism (if possible)
    Visit at least 50 historical museums around the world
    Learn at least 3 languages
    Volunteer in Africa to teach or to simply have fun with the locals
    Volunteer for an animal research centre
    Travel only by train from UK all the way to Hong Kong
    Learn how to properly grow my own garden
    Go on an exchange program in university

Yeah.... I put a lot of thought into this...

12. Gallium

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Come out
    Learn multiple languages, like Japanese
    Get a boyfriend
    Get friends
    Go to the university
    Learn to play an instrument
    Move away to another country
    Get married
    Learn to use the accent marks properly
    Learn to draw properly
    Etc...

13. Ashley2103

Learn a foreign language
    Graduate from University

14. candyjiru

Oddly enough, a toast seller asked me what my dream was today~ I like to think of my goals as dreams rather than things on a bucket list~~ dreams just sound a bit more romantic, don't they? Anyways~~ I've already accomplished my two big dreams~

1. See The Starry Night in person (I saw this a long time ago at MoMA in NYC~ it's actually quite small, so it was a bit disappointing... I'd always imagined some grand piece, but, I guess that's why it's better to not get your hopes up~)
    2. See the cherry blossoms in bloom in Japan (I did this a few years ago~ I went to Tokyo by myself and wandered about alone and with a friend living there whom I had met on the Internet XD;;; )

My other dreams would be~

1. Meeting my close online friends irl~ I have met a bunch of my online friends in person, but I would love to meet a couple more special people face to face~~ <3
    2. Owning a home by the ocean~ My ultimate dream is to live by the ocean and be able to listen to the waves all day and night~ I'm saving up and hopefully one day I'll be able to~ It's been my dream since I was a young girl, but everyone always told me it was a foolish dream... But, I think it is quite peaceful and lovely, so~~

15. Aviator182

I've doen a few things on my bucket list, like become a flight instructor, whitewater rafting, and travel to Europe. The next items are; continue getting back in to shape, jump out of a plane, hike the Grand Canyon, learn German, make it to a major airline, get my helicopter license, and hopefully along the way find someone special to share these moments with.

16. Ally Girl

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    get a tattoo: check (now have 5)
    travel to each continent
    get some of my poems published
    write a novel
    own a TARDIS
    become a mechanic: check (started an apprenticeship very recently)
    work fro an animal charity: check (volunteered a small local animal sanctuary)
    send my cv to a premier league football club with all my fifa accomplishments
    come out: check (came out very recently)
    transition
    get my first bra: check (quickly got confiscated though but still)
    fall in love
    marry
    have kids
    see the northern lights
    see Liverpool win the Premier League

that's all I can think of right now, did have a list but lost it

17. TheBiBoy

TheBiBoy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    My biker list is pretty short but here it goes:

1.Become a bodybuilder
    2.Get better at running
    3.Go back to Spain
    4.Eat healthier
    5.Get interested in soccer when I grow up.I have never Ben interested in it when I was young and I am growing an interest in it but I am too bad at it now to join any soccer club so better off when I grow up!

There you go.

18. Weregild

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    A cat or dog.

19. Distant Echo

Don't have a bucket list. Don't have a wish list as such. The closest I Get is that I Would like to own my own home one day, but no chance of that. Would like to get on a plane one day. Don't see that happening anytime soon. Want to leave this hell hole of a town once the kids finish school. Six years for that. My life is singularly boring.

20. Spot

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't have a proper list yet but I want to travel to Antarctica. It looks so cool like a different planet almost! I guess not that many people have been there so it's mysterious...I want to see narwhals in real life because they're like real life unicorns :grin: Also I want to raise Guide Puppies, it'd be so much fun raising a bunch of puppies lol. I looked up the Guide Dog website for my state and you can keep in contact with them and see them when they're adults :slight_smile: That's the top things on my list, I guess I'd also like to visit Africa and get a tattoo as well.