1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out with a letter to my parents. Please tell me what you think?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by ChivalrousMe, Oct 29, 2015.

1. ChivalrousMe

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Hey guys, this is my letter for my parents. I wanted it to be detailed as much as possible but I need help. I'll be answering their questions after they read this letter, so don't worry. What things am I going to prepare for?))

"Hello, first I want to say that this email will cover a lot. Please read this thoroughly, because I know this will be all new to you and I will tell you ALL about how I feel. I don't know how to start or explain well, but I'm going to at the best as I can to make you understand.

I know that you already know about... my gender orientation. But that's not exactly what/who I am. I will start first by telling you how I knew I wasn't a girl.. Yes I knew years and years ago I wasn't. And it felt like it wasn't normal so I ignored it, I never liked dresses or any other things linked to being girly. Remember when you asked me if I had a crush? I said none, because I don't like guys. It scared me to tell you or anyone because I'm afraid you/they won't believe me and even judge me.

All these years I've been feeling different, I know it's called "gender dysphoria". It means, it's feeling sad or depressed about one's biological gender, not aligning with the body's or mind's or heart's feeling. A desire to be the opposite sex. I know that you might be feeling bad or sad now, and I'm not expecting you to be okay with this. I just want you to be open-minded. I am the same daughter you have, just with a new version of me. A better one. I'm opening up to you.

And yes, I am transgender.

It's different from being a lesbian/tomboy. Lesbian is... Okay with being a girl, dressing up as a girl but likes girls too (romantic). And being transgender... It's about being a guy (if biological girl) and girl (if biological guy). I'm sure of what I'm feeling right now, it didn't take me over night to be sure about it. I have read countless of articles about this, countless of websites and videos. This is serious, I know. This country only has tolerance for people like me, and you might not want to tell others about me because yes, I am transgender.

Again I am transgender. I want to do what guys do, because that's what I feel. It feels right. I feel so happy. I want to be free and out. I know I'm going to face challenges because of this but I hope you'll be there with me. It's hard to be alone.

I won't answer you well if you talk to me personally, I'm too embarrassed to. You know me, right? Can we talk through email? I'm sorry because I won't explain it well personally. Again, I wish for you to be open-minded and I won't rush you. Take your time to understand all of this because it's the key to understanding me. I'm still afraid of what you will say after reading this, so please understand.

There will be many changes, I want you to call me pronouns, neutral if you aren't comfortable (they, etc) and maybe next time male pronouns. And I'm quite embarrassed to tell you this but I wish you call me with other name, it's okay if neutral. Or next time remove the last A from my first name. Document changing isn't allowed here in our country unless valid reasons. IT WILL BE HARD. I know it, so please please bear with me.

I felt that I won't hide anything from you anymore, I will now open-up from now on. I'm sorry for not being fully honest with you these past few years. I love you both so much."

I need your opinion asap, please. I don't want to hide anything anymore. :icon_sad::help:

2. hedgehog

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    That's a really beautiful letter ChivalrousMe! It's really moving and I really do hope your parents will take it well and accept you for who you are. It may take some time for them to get used to it, but at least you have opened up to them about your personal life and can tell the truth about who you are. I know you can do it! Good luck :slight_smile:

3. ChivalrousMe

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Hello there, thank you for the reply :slight_smile: I'll send this letter as soon as I find the 'right' time. I want them in a good mood first, lol.