1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"You're Too Young To Know You're Transgender." Rant

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by WhereWeWere, Oct 28, 2015.

1. WhereWeWere

WhereWeWere Guest

This sentence makes me want to throw a raw chicken at somebody!

I'm fourteen and I feel lucky that I've managed to dodge that "you're too young" bullet. There is no such thing as being too young to know your true self. Many transgender people know when they know- some have known since they were five, others, twenty-five.

There's no age requirement.

If somebody is too young to know their transgender, then they're too young to know they're cisgender too. Nobody knows a transgender person better than they know themselves. If they want to start HRT, or get surgery, let them. Of course you have to make sure the person know aware of the risks and benefits, how things will happen, etc.

As long as he/she/they are aware of the process and understand fully, are mature and reasonable, there is no problem transitioning, even as a minor.

This is a thing many cisgender people fail to understand. When a transgender person knows, they know. For me, when it dawned upon me that I was male, I felt a weird fuzzy feeling in my head and a shiver go down my spine, it was a strange experience, one I never had before. That's when I knew. It took almost two years of confusion with gender identity and dysphoria, but I knew then.

I feel like some people think we decide things like this over one night, but for me, it took nearly two years.

All transgender deserve to be taken be seriously and respected for their identity, no matter their age.

Anybody else agree?

2. Matto_Corvo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't think anyone is too young to know gender. Certainly cis people have always known they were cis and no one questions it.

But I am one of those people who feel there is such a thing as too young to transition. Puberty blockers are great thing to use but I strongly believe in people waiting till 16 or 18 before starting HRT.

I think most people feel that trans people decided over night that they are trans is because they never see it coming. We, human beings, tend to only see things from out POV. So while a trans person can see and know for years, for a cis friend or realitve its like their son/daughter had a personality shift over night. Now this isn't always the case.
    Just my thoughts on it though.

3. xfinitycomcast

That infuriates me aswell. At 14 we're expected to choose the way our life will pan out and the subjects for the next 3 years aswell as career paths. At 14, we're considered an adult for admission to theme parks and airfares (some public transport too). At 14, we're expected to know right from wrong in the eyes of the law yet when it comes to Gender / Sexuality we're too young to know it yet.

4. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hello, children can know and tell you their gender from the age of two, so whoever says that to anyone older than two is [or at least in my opinion] wrong. Now, if the gender isn't 'male' or 'female' it might take them a bit longer as other genders aren't talked about as much so they won't know about it or less likely to know.

5. DreamerBoy17

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's a really good point. And honestly, I'm 14 and I support waiting for hormones and stuff. Sure, I'd kill for some T right now, and I'm sure of my identity, but taking testosterone is a huge decision, and honestly one I think a 14 year old me isn't ready to make, much as I want it.

6. xfinitycomcast

Same as myself, although I'm 16 and I'm holding off for a bit until I start (or at least attempt to) estrogen.

7. ChivalrousMe

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I'm 14 right now too, and I've known just a year ago (I mean, I'm really sure about being a transgender.). It just quite scares me that if other people knew, they'll judge me.

But we mustn't care about other people thinks. What's important is that you have people around you who supports, understands, and loves you.

8. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You aren't too young or old to know your gender identity. If someone is too young to know they're trans, then someone is too young to know that they're cis.

9. ghostpeppers

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    My mom's said the same thing with an eye roll when she saw the TV show about transitioning children. "These parents just want fame and glory. They're exploiting their kids to get it!"

I'm not sure she understands how difficult it can be on parents AND children..

10. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    These parents are wanting 'fame' to make it known of real life about trans and how they are supportive about it. Nothing is glorified, one show I watched told the truth, even if it showed the dad and brother to be a bit negative towards it, but then as they learnt more they got a more positive attitude - that only showed that people can change their opinions and so should others. If it's the education that people need and I think most of it is down to the lack of education, then you don't necessarily want movies you want real life.

I'm going to be honest. When I was younger [10] I thought male and female was just the body parts. When I was 12 I heard about transgender and couldn't understand how someone could *feel* gender, so I couldn't accept it. When I was 14 though I heard about that people killed themselves [please don't] over this and I thought why would someone die over something fake (?) so I decided it was a real thing ... but still couldn't understand how people *felt* gender. Anyway, so I had GCSEs and stuff so I didn't think about it until around a month ago when we were learning about gender in sociology. I asked a question on a website about '' what is male and female, and how do people feel gender?'' The person replied that ''male and female is the body parts, and that I [they] can't answer about the feelings as I'm [they're] agender''. So I did some research on that and even though it wasn't much I was pretty confident that's what I was, any doubt just came from [stupid] society who thinks everything is just male or female. Although it took me a long time, I was finally able to understand that people do feel gender, it just happens I don't. Although I can never feel gender, I can at least ask and learn how other people do. I'm sorry I ever didn't think it was real, but I hope you can forgive me now.

I used to think that when the grown-ups said ''to be able to accept (and understand) others you have to accept (and understand) yourself'' they were lying, turns out [as I'm 9 months away from being 18, an adult] that's it's true.

#10 Secrets5, Oct 29, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2015
  11. FootballFan101

I actually got this feeling too. Its very weird, this next part is going to sound weird, I also seen a light approach me it was shaped as a female body and it had long flowing hair