1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Let's Talk About Public Bathrooms

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by WhereWeWere, Oct 27, 2015.

1. TheRealTheaJane

I think this is the same issue as "Trans people in the ladies will assault girls".
    In the bathroom I don't think men will assault anyone unless they're seriously unstable. 98% of men just want to pee as fast as possible!

Personally I'm more scared of the ladies: it's okay-ish to be seen, I think, as a queerboy (horrible term, but it's quoting what a guy said once) in the mens', but when using the ladies there's a threat of security being called. I try and use the disabled as much as possible but it all depends on how busy the place is, whether I can quickly nip in the ladies and pee instead of awkwardly using a stall in the mens'.

2. Matto_Corvo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's what I was thinking. Over all I've noticed most men don't give a shit the majority of the time so long as you go in, do your business, and leave with out bothering them. Women, on the other hand, tend to think transwomen are just there to peek. Which I find hilarious because I can't even begin to count the number of times a women has peeked in through the crack in the door while I was peeing, and I'm afab.
    I find bathrooms awkward no matter what though, I prefer single stall ones.

3. WhereWeWere

WhereWeWere Guest

I totally agree. Actually, my biggest fear in public bathrooms is the possibility of catching STIs or worse- STDs.

Regardless, in public, I usually could care less about who is peeing in the same room as me as long as they leave me alone, and I'll leave them alone. I really hate peeing at school though- the girls try to make conversation with you- eugh. Too awkward.

4. Astral

So true I lol'd

5. ChristopherKoch

6. DreamerBoy17

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Err, not to derail the thread, but isn't it near impossible to get STI/D's from public toilets? And STD and STIs are the same thing besides terminology. Sorry, we just had a unit on this in health!
    And oh yeah, I hate when girls try to make conversation. Sometimes I get weird looks in the girl's room, too. But I'm far too nervous to use the guy's room...

7. eden

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    fortunately the places i frequent have 'all gender bathrooms' and there's been news articles about them here in town.

but thank goodness i haven't gotten any dirty looks from females in the ladies room. a lot of times, they are single stall anyway... male or female... or nobody's in them at all.

8. eden

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I also wanted to say my uni has a list of gender neutral bathrooms.

If you don't have these at your school, be that one that pushes for them!

As the LGBT stigma dies in this society, I think we're going to see more gender neutral bathrooms.

9. Lacybi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I use the girl's toilets because even at my most masculine I still look like a girl. If it's just single stall ones though I make a point of using the men's ones and I always have. My only rebellious streak, until I realised that I'm actually more masculine that is.

10. Natasha Elyssa

I try to not use public restrooms, mainly because they're gross. I cleaned stalls in a horseback riding arena that made even the "cleanest" public bathrooms look disgusting. It was pretty funny, we were all cracking up when I pointed that out. But, yeah. Public restrooms+gross. I still have to do the whole theater act where I'm out now, and I HAVE to go in a men's room or I'll get sent to prison for "preying on women" or something stupid like that. What's bad about my community is that people will try to cause trouble for the stupidest things. So...I have no choice. A lot of what I do is private, because public anything = headache. It's bad. I personally think that there should just be bathrooms. None of this segregated nonsense. It's a bathroom, dump your load and get out. Like,why should anyone care? If people are so worried about the children, then why not make desperate bathrooms for children? Or, why don't we make better bathrooms with better stalls? Like put a bunch of mini-bathrooms in one big room. Something like that could work.

11. iiimee

Wow, all these trans dudes using the lady's bathroom... Some of you guys pass better than I do it seems, at least those who show their faces, yet I'M the one who uses the men's restroom? XD Oh well. I don't need to go in public too often, but sometimes I do. Anyway, when I walk in nobody bats an eye, except once a grown man stared at me, but whatever. I have never been called out for looking too feminine, and if I was I'd just tell them that I'm a guy and continue doing whatever it was I was doing. Louisville's a pretty liberal part of Kentucky though, so maybe people notice and just don't care? I had to go in the women's restroom at my school once, and I remember a bunch of girls who didn't know me asked what I was doing in there. I had to tell them I was trans. X_X Thank god the high school I'm going to will let me use the bathroom of my choice.